- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 64.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: 8 volts
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Aleader is a relatively new Chinese manufacturer that specializes in making epoxy resin boxes. Orbit or D-Box 75 of the same manufacturer are very colorful examples and the Funky comes to ensure the entry of the brand with its good psychedelic bouille and its small size that classifies it immediately in the mini boxs. Attention, we are not really in the smallest mods, it is still larger than a Mini Volt or other comparable references.
Epoxy resin is widely used, from simple glue to the most complex moldings like some sinks for example. It involves combining a resin with a hardener under the action of heat to obtain a hard and resistant material, which can be dyed to the envy by the addition of dyes directly in the resin and which has the particularity of having excellent resistance to UV rays. As far as we are concerned, it is successful on the Funky which thus presents a very original and neat aesthetic.
The rate is less than 65 €, which places it in the mid-range hardware. This may seem quite high for a box that title 60W but we must still consider the uniqueness of each box since the color, not controllable by the manufacturing process, thus ensures its happy owner a unique object.
Possessing a variable power mode and a temperature control mode, the Funky communicates on its proprietary chipset may not have the same opportunities as the direct competition but is supposed to ensure a vape quite serious. Of course, we will try to check this down.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 25.2
- Product Length or Height in mm: 70.5
- Product weight in grams: 143
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Epoxy resin
- Type of Form Factor: Box mini - IStick type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Medium, the button makes noise within its enclave
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
When we look at the Funky for the first time, we can not help but find a family look with Pico Eleaf. Indeed, we have a box of comparable size and an aluminum cap that serves as a prominent stopper for the 18650 battery. This is enough to bring together the aesthetic characteristics common to both boxes.
However, the physical comparison stops there. Indeed, the Funky is more "square", slightly larger than the Pico and has a typical parallelepiped architecture. The two decks, top and bottom caps, are made of aircraft grade black anodized aluminum and the protruding edges are treated in natural color, which is the best effect and gives a certain elegance to the box. The rest of the body is epoxy and reveals very complex shades of colors that remind some stabilized wood.
Back on the mind Pico however regarding the control panel located below the box that has the two buttons [+] and [-], the micro-USB plug for charging and vents, paradoxically located at the opposite of the battery and that seem more there for the cooling of the chipset than to ensure possible degassing. But for lack of having opened it, I do not know if the interior construction, ensured in resin too, also allows this functionality.
The buttons [+] and [-] are metal and spherical, quite easy to handle even if the biggest fingers will have a little trouble to differentiate between the two but, with a little practice, we get there very well. No particular criticism on this point except that the spheres move a little in their home. Nothing serious, it does not affect their handling or user experience.
The metal switch, rectangular in shape, is responsive and does its job without complaining. It is neither especially pleasant nor especially unpleasant. Its greatest quality is to emerge subtly from the body of the box and therefore to be quite discreet. Its operation is no problem, no missfire to declare, Mr. Agent. Everything's fine !
The quality of manufacture is very good, for the blow superior to that of the Pico and finishes and various machining propel us on the upper segment. With one exception all the same: the probably excessive lightness of the battery cap which, although it presents well with its engraving with the coat of arms of the brand, suffers from a glaring lack of material and gives an impression in shift with the rest of the beautiful.
The OLED screen, now quite traditional in the category, is necessarily small but very legible and displays the important indications: battery charge, power or temperature, mode, resistance, voltage and intensity.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Funky offers a chipset owner who is confined to basic functions but who does well. This is not a box for geeks but a tool for vaping, as much for vapers confirmed for their nomadic life as for novice / intermediate vapers.
So we have a variable power mode that propels us on a scale between 5 and 60W on resistors between 0.1 and 3Ω. It is set naturally by the [+] and [-] buttons.
The temperature control mode ignores a TCR and therefore proposes three resistive natively: NI200, Titanium and SS316. Objectively, this is enough and I can not advise you too much to use the SS316 to do this, this thread is considered healthier than the other two, especially titanium whose oxidation can be dangerous for health.
Note that the manufacturer recommends the use of Sony VTC5 for the Funky. I reassure you, however, it works very well with Samsung or LG, any battery having a continuous discharge current of 20A and 30A pulse. Because the box can receive an intensity of 30A and return it at the exit.
No mode OFF on the Funky, just a possibility of locking the switch by clicking three times on it. It's simple, no frills but it's still effective. To switch OFF, remove the battery!
There is also the possibility to change the direction of the screen. To do this, simply lock with three clicks on the switch and then hold down the [+] button for a few seconds. Again, the manufacturer has given pride to simplicity.
The protections are efficient and allow a quiet use of the box. Short-circuit protection, against chipset overheating, 10 seconds cut-off, reverse polarity protection (the box does not come on), protection against TPD but I get lost ...
The list of features stops here, as Aleader decided to make a simple, ergonomic object rather than a gas plant.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A cardboard box filled with a very hard thermoformed foam ensures optimal transport of the Funky. It is covered with a flexible cardboard case which leaves, by a transparent shutter to appear the color of the box in order to be able to choose if you buy it in physical shop.
You will find, besides the object of your desire, a white USB / micro USB cable and of flat section (it changes!) As well as a notice which will make English anglophiles! Indeed, not only, there is no Frenchization of the manual but in addition, it is written ridiculously small. And when I say little, it's small, believe me! Moreover, without wanting to disrespect our visually impaired friends, I advise Aleader to directly make their next instructions in Braille, we will get better and I can put away my magnifying glass and my microscope!
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? Yes
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior: in temperature control
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Simplicity, efficiency, quality of rendering.
If I had to summarize the highlights of the Funky, that's how I will describe it. Indeed, the vape is comfortable because the chipset is calibrated for a smooth vape, which is a minimum but also for available power without latency. The vape is therefore quite direct, full and precise. If we are objectively far from the most upscale chipsets but much more expensive, it is still a pleasant surprise in terms of quality rendering. Deadlocks made on advanced features have allowed engineers to floor on fast response and the signal is reliable, powerful on the full scale of watts.
In temperature control mode, it's ... different ....
Indeed, using several atomizers mounted in SS316, I have not managed to operate the box other than power mode. In temperature control mode, the screen sends me fancy messages, type 1.3W while I set the box on 35W or even a good 0.73V! Yet the temperature has been calibrated, the resistance too. Having no Ni200 or Titanium on hand, so I deduced that my thread SS316 was not in the small papers of the box and that it was him who posed problem, although it is the first time it happens to him. In summary, in this mode, I did not shoot a single cloud! I remain circumspect on its effectiveness. But not having enough to prove the real proof of its inefficiency, I prefer to abstain.
However, not being an aficionado of this mode as a rule, I am less inclined to panic. I warn fans to do a good check with the resistive of their choice to validate its normal operation.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All with a preference for small atomizers to be in the "mini" aesthetic
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT3, Origen 19 / 22, Igo-L, Narda
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Small height atomizer
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
If we except the mishap in temperature control on my SS316, I had to enjoy the use of this mod.
Aesthetic, small, well in hand, it also provides pleasant vape sensations with a controlled signal and low latency. I would recommend it to those who steam in varying power and who want a little sexy companion to carve the road daily. I advise those who wish to exploit its temperature control to check the functionality to check if their thread is compatible and if the box sends what it promises because I can, in any case, affirm it here.
Thus, although the note is high and objectively deserved, I resign myself to giving up the Top Mod for this reason which, if it were verified by your own experience, would mean that this mode is poorly implemented. Too bad because for the rest, it's almost a no-fault for this beautiful little who ensures power mode!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.