- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 71.10 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Mini, mini, mini ... everything is mini in the vape right now. Mini ato and mini mod. And soon mini-liquid 10ml mandatory, alas.
The goal of this mode is to allow us to have set-ups of very small size to help us in our daily nomadism. Of course, mini-size does not mean maximum autonomy. In the current state of the chemical possibilities of the batteries, difficult to ask more. But if we think twice, we understand the interest of a small equipment, discreet and easily transportable to be absent a half-day without having to suffer a thousand deaths by carrying an eightfold battery with an atomizer 500g above.
In addition, this trend is defined by an undeniable "cute" side and seduces more and more women not wishing to appear with a cube mastoc. And if it can put more and more ladies in the vape, I vote for, if only to have a little less testosterone in the vapors ...
The Elfin 60 we are watching today is going to be a small revolution in itself. Attacking front-line title holders such as mini-volt, Artery Nugget or other Target Mini, it imposes a sudden rise in range first by the use of a Yihi SX160 chipset, always a guarantee of high quality rendering and then by supposedly better shock resistance because the manufacturer has made the choice of an integrated battery 18500 (and not removable, alas) rather than trust a LiPo.
This is paid for by a price, certainly reasonable, but a bit higher than the competition. 60W under the hood, temperature control, TCR, this mod has in the underpants. Let's see if all that rolls.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 23.3
- Product Length or Height in mms: 65
- Product weight in grams: 128
- Materials composing the product: Zinc Alloy
- Type of Form Factor: Box mini - IStick type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.7 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Taking the Elfin 60 in hand is already a happiness. Indeed, the touch of the rubbery coating is particularly sensual and pleasant. No risk of making it fall, even with sticky hands, it holds well and in velvet.
The aesthetics was neat. A parallelepiped rounded at the back for better handling with some design touches on it. Just what it takes to seduce and not enough to do in vulgarity.
So the size is minimalist, although other manufacturers have done better, but I personally find that size does not matter (and then, it suits me, as Coluche said), especially when the ergonomics were well thought out as is the case here.
The 510 connection has a positive pin on spring, the screwing of the ato operates beautifully well, the switch is a real pleasure. My faith, I think only good. I just make a reservation about keeping the chosen coating over time, because it tends to remind me of some lepers Vaporshark but I do not want to prejudge anything. The base material is an aluminum-zinc alloy, which has become classic today. This allows a relatively contained weight (even if the small is very dense in the hand) and the possibility of obtaining nice shapes by molding. I did not find any additional information on the exact type of alloy used but it looks strong.
The finish is excellent, there is nothing wrong. We are on a well thought out object, well finished, well built.
- Type of chipset used: SX
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Display of current vape voltage, Display of current vape power , Atomizer Resistor Temperature Control, Clear Diagnostic Messages
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The features presented by the Elfin 60 are in the high normality of what is on offer today. Variable power but also temperature control working with Ni200, titanium, stainless steel 304 and the famous SX Pure, signed Yihi, which is at the same time a new alloy presented as healthier and more environmentally friendly but also a owner resistance. To date, we have few returns on this new mode of evaporation. We will not fail to test in the near future an atomizer equipped with this technology.
The temperature control is coupled with a TCR plug that will allow you to notify the chipset the material of your resistance, if it does not belong to the group of four already implemented and to specify the heating coefficient that you will find easily on the net.
In Elfin, you do not remove the battery. Even a smart hacking seems tricky to do, having disassembled the bottom-cap to watch. So charging is done via a USB / Micro USB cable provided. This necessarily puts an expiry date on the product that will stop working when the battery is dead. But the Elfin is not an isolated case, it is enough to know it at the time of the purchase.
The interface with the chipset works like all Yihie chipsets. When the system is OFF, five clicks on the switch wakes him up. When the system is ON, the menu is accessed by five clicks on the switch and then we navigate between the different sub-menus using the switch and we make the choices by the [+] and [-] buttons. Re-pressing the switch validates your choice while continuing to the next menu. To exit the menu, use the switch to find the EXIT sub-menu and confirm with [+] or [-]. To turn off the box, go to the SYSTEM menu and confirm with [+] or [-].
For those who are used to working with Joyetech chipsets for example, or even Evolv, it will take a few hours for the handling to become intuitive but ultimately, it works well and control quickly.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A white cardboard box contains the mod, a USB / Micro USB cord and a manual in English that you will love to hate and in Chinese, which will make class with your friends but is not used objectively for anything.
It is a standard packaging, consistent with the rate requested. Nothing infamous, nothing great. The packaging style that Craving Vapor or Norbert revered to provide with their materials ... .. sigh...
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
As we have seen, the mod operates in variable power and temperature control. The first mode is plug & play. You put your ato, you set your power and basta, you're gone in the clouds.
For the temperature control, whatever the resistive used and all the more if you want to use the TCR mode, you have to install the ato on the 510 connection and, before even thinking of setting your menus or switching, calibrate the resistance cold of your atomizer. To do this, simultaneously press the [+] and [-] buttons, the display shows a resistance, you confirm with [+] or [-]. It is done, your resistance is calibrated and it is on this standard that the box will generate the calculations necessary for a good functioning in temperature control.
If you do not do it, you are not likely to ship mod vote in the stratosphere or an explosion that will make you angry with all your neighbors. But there will be some bugs in the operation, especially if you use the TCR.
Well calibrated and well used, the temperature control is very effective and has a measured amplitude that allows not to have too much pumping effects. You will be able to adjust your temperature in degrees Celsius and, directly on the screen, the value in Joule (unit of energy) will be presented. The Joule represents 1W per second, which does not teach us anything very practical. You will notice with the use that by increasing the joules, you increase the power, quite simply. But you do not increase the pre-selected value by yourself in the menus in celsius, which is the goal. So make the feeling and rendering of vape, it is the best advice that can be given and this, whatever the unit of incrementation or decrementation used.
Exactly, since we're talking about it, what about rendering? Well, without surprising anyone, the operation of the Yihie chipset is imperial and very consistent with what the founder offers in its range. Low latency, smooth signal without asperity favoring a smooth and stable vape. Compared with a DNA75, we have a faster availability but a greater softness to the rendering, the DNA being more spicy, more aggressive, the Yihie being rounder.
In any case, the use of the product is simple, within the reach of all. It is facilitated by a well readable screen and a trio of buttons responding well to various requests.
The autonomy of 1300mAh, does not allow miracle but enough for half a day of vape 35W on a coil 0.44Ω.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A Mini Top Coil of 2ml seems to me the ideal complement
- Description of the test configuration used: Origen V2Mk2, Narda, Theorem, Cubis pro
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Works perfectly in all configurations involving an atomizer whose diameter is not greater than 22mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.9 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I admit to being favorably impressed by this mod. He gets a very good rating because I think he is the best in his category for now. Advantageous finish, impeccable touch, answer of a powerful chipset, we have everything in hand for a vape of quality.
It remains the price, higher than the average of its competitors. It is not up to me to make this choice for you but I can only advise for the quality of rendering objectively better. A rendering that puts him at the top of the pack, even if compared to some more powerful mods.
If you need a mod nomad, or extra, the quality of vape remains a decisive factor for you and that the power is not an end in itself, the Elfin 60 W is the box he you need. For the category of mini-mods, he is a TOP.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.