- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 64.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod Type: Electronic Bottom Feeder + Dripper BF
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Kangertech, historical generalist manufacturer, has a very beautiful range touching more or less the totality of the material to seduce each vapoteur. It has recently rediscovered or rather the democratization of bottom-feeding, a technique that is to assemble a mod and a dripper specially equipped to supply liquid atomizer by the support of a plastic tank located in the box.
This technique is interesting because it allows to vaper continuously on dripper without worrying about the autonomy in liquid and thus, in theory, to enjoy the quality of restitution of the flavors of a RDA in daily vape, sedentary or nomadic.
After a first Dripbox kit which consisted of the combination of a mod mecha and a dripper, Kanger offered us a kit Dripbox 160 which, as its name indicated, associated an electronic box in 160W with a dripper BF. Opinions had been divided between the renewed interest of this method of vape inducing a very positive reaction of the consovapeurs and the relative weakness of the dripper provided which, although proposing an ingenious system of resistance owner, did not quite keep its promises at the rendering level.
Kanger presents us today its kit Dripbox 2 consisting of an electro box derived from the Dripbox 160 but offering 80W instead of 160 while offering the same dripper Subdrip. The pairing of a new box less powerful and a dripper that did not mark the spirits will it be more successful in the rendering of vape this time? We will try to check it.
Offered at a price of 64.90 € and delivered in a complete packaging, the kit assumes its status of all-in-one solution for beginners in bottom-feeding. Available in three colors: white, black and silver, the set-up is ready to seduce you!
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 23 for the box, 22 for the dripper
- Length or Height of the product in mm: 84 for the box, 26 for the dripper
- Product Weight in grams: 274 All inclusive
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Zinc alloy, PET for the tank
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts composing the product: 4 for the box, 4 for the dripper
- Number of threads: 2 for the box, 3 for the dripper
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Since we talked about seduction, we also recognize that the set-up is aesthetically successful. Far from the imposing size of the Dripbox 160, the Dripbox 2 kit is like a parallelepiped box with enough rounding on the edges to ensure a plastic beauty certainly traditional but real. Bevels, on the facade with the screen and control buttons in particular, are quite successful and energize the silhouette. The back follows the shape of the bottle in a vertical very rounded. The designers have worked well and the object is sexy.
Of course, we should not expect here a wasp size, it is still casing an 18650 battery and a reservoir bottle of 7ml. Similarly, the weight is quite large, the object is heavy in hand but its shape makes it all the same pleasant.
The Subdrip, known dripper that already fitted the Dripbox 160, poses gracefully on the set and its size is normal.
The finishes are correct for the price requested and the zinc alloy frame for the box and stainless steel for the dripper do not disfigure each other.
Under the box, there is a screw cap to access the battery. I am not a fan of this type of hatch in general but here, it must be admitted that it is successful and the taking of the thread is done naturally, without forcing. At the side, a simple plate held by two small magnets delivers the passage to the bottle to take it out and fill it. The outfit is quite weak but, in use, we do not encounter any particular problems. 18 degassing and / or cooling vents complete the picture.
Inside, Kanger reuses the same system already implemented in previous games to ensure the bottom-fedding of the dripper. A long metal rod dips into the bottom of the bottle and the hermeticism of the whole is done by a well thought out stopper. This makes the system leak-proof and easy to use.
The control facade is traditional. The effective switch offers a cheering click when you hit and naturally falls under your finger. The [+] and [-] buttons are just as responsive. The screen shows and it's good because that's what we ask! But the visibility is good, the strong contrast allows a good visibility even in full natural light. At the very bottom, we find the micro-USB port that will allow a triple action: the possible upgrade of the firmware, the customization of certain functions that we will detail below and the recharging of the battery.
In this chapter, Kanger is showing a great success.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the personalization of its behavior by external software, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Average, there is a noticeable difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, there is a noticeable difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We have two elements to detail.
Let's start with the simplest: the dripper. This RDA is quite complete and offers a rather unique possibility as it can work with proprietary resistors but also rebuildable pure. To do this, it offers a removable tray, initially equipped with double coil clapton and organic cotton for a total resistance of 0.3Ω. So it's this board that you change in its entirety when you decide to juggle only the proprietary resistors Kanger.
If you want to assemble your own resistors, nothing more simple, simply unscrew the studs screws, evacuate the coils present and install yours. It's simple, very smart and really versatile.
The dripper is equipped with four airholes. Two small holes about 2mm in diameter will allow you to vape in MTL, as indicated above, namely vape "indirect". Two large slots of 12x2mm will open you access to a big "direct" vape. To make your choice and adjust the opening of the slots, it is the whole of the top-cap in delrin, judiciously notched, that you will have to turn.
The bottom cap, or more precisely the base of the dripper, allows you, besides the 510 connection, to pass the juice through a positive pin drilled in its center and will receive, by screwing, the mounting plates.
Regarding the box, it offers multiple features that we will check.
First of all, it will work either in variable power or in temperature control. In variable power, it allows to choose between 5 and 80W from 0.1Ω up to 2.5Ω resistance. An additional feature, unfortunately outsourced by the use of downloadable software You can consult it by clicking here., allows to sculpt the curve of power to adapt it to your vape and to the reactivity of your coils. It is a pity that this function is not directly implemented on the box because sometimes we may want to redraw this "pre-heat" on the fly without having to do a computer available. Fortunately, the software allows you to store your customizations on memories directly accessible on the device. But this is probably not the most practical.
The box also works in temperature control mode with the use of SS316L, Ni200 and titanium on the same resistance scale. We can also implement other resistive, always by the software ... This mode works between 100 ° and 315 ° C.
Five clicks on the switch allow to turn on or off the box. Three clicks on the switch change the different modes. Simultaneous pressing of the [+] button and the switch allows the rotation of the screen. Pressing [+] and [-] allows you, in variable power mode, to call the memories preprogrammed on the software and transferred to the box. Simultaneous pressing of the [-] button and the switch will prevent or increment or decrement values in W or C.
Standard protections are present and allow to vape safely.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Here, for once, we are on a cheerful faultless!
Indeed, the packaging is a perfect completeness, rare at this price level. We have a black rigid cardboard, on two floors that contains:
- The box
- The dripper
- A spare bottle-tank
- A pouch containing organic cotton
- A pouch containing two pre-formed spare clapton coils
- Spare and mounted tray / resistance
- A USB / micro-USB cable
- A warranty card
- A warning card for the use of coherent batteries
- A notice in English and in French
It's just Christmas and as much to say that the consovapeur does not feel to be taken for a cash cow! Some European or American builders, who may have been looted by Chinese manufacturers some time ago, should give them back by providing them as complete packs today!
Just for fun, I can not resist the pleasure of giving you an excerpt from the French manual, which shows that there is still a "slight" translation effort to make:
"DRIPBOX 2 packaging came with SUBDRIP and DRIPBOX 2 full battery and tank with a capacity of 7.0ml. The user can take out the tank and pump the liquid easily from DRIPBOX 2 to SUBDRIP. With the control of the temperature and the output power at the high level, the user is left with the pleasure of dripping. And in addition, the replaceable coil of the water droplet will simplify the change of the coil. "
Well, I'm a bad friend but, to make me forgive, I give you a more literal translation: "Pull the peg and the bobinette cherra"...
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? Yes
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
As far as the bottom-feeding and liquid feeding part of the dripper poses no problem and does not raise any complaints, the rest leave a taste of unfinished that suggests that Kangertech did not take into account the criticisms that could have been issued. on the two previous opuses.
First, there will be no miracles, alas, with the Subdrip dripper. Notwithstanding his exceptional system of change of resistance by unscrewing the plate and the relative ease of assembly if one chooses to make his own coils, he is totally sluggish and categorically reluctant to develop flavors if only correct. Here is a dripper delivered with a resistance 0.33Ω so typical of a sub-ohm cut to the cloud and power. At 80W, power limit of the associated box, nothing happens. Neither at the level of the taste, nor at the level of the vapor. Of course, we obtain a relatively large cloud but devoid of density and whose ageusia borders the nonsense. Both vaper a kettle ...
Curious by nature, I installed it on a more powerful box and I mounted it at 120W. Not much happens. At 150W, it wakes up a bit and spreads a more textured vapor but, at the level of taste, it is far, far away, usual drippers, even entry-level, airflow gaping or tight. I pushed the investigation further by making a mounting SS316L 0.32mm to obtain a resistance of 0.6Ω and try to use the airholes "MTL" for indirect inhalation but, if the power of the box becomes adapted, the result is still so hopelessly lacking interest.
The test becomes more complex using the Dripbox 2 with a Tsunami equipped with a bottom-feeder pin. With a resistance in 0.30Ω, I still expect to find taste sensations that I know well. And this is the case, the juice is transfigured and found colors and flavors. But another point annoys me, I then compare the output power of the Dripbox with another box calibrated on the same power (80W) and the same atomizer. And the answer is obvious: the 2 dripbox does not send the voltage required to reach the displayed power ... Small quick calculation: set to 80W with a dripper in 0.30Ω (the Subdrip), the voltage indicator issued gives me: 4.5V to the maximum! So that gives 67.5W real power reached instead of 80W displayed.
I push the test even further. I install a Conqueror Mini mounted in 0.3Ω and I ask 60W to the Dripbox. She just sends me 45.6W. I install a GT3 mounted in 0.56Ω, the box me the diagnostic 0.3Ω. Ditto for the Nautilus mini in 1.5Ω who did not ask so much !!! If we summarize, the chipset does not send what it promises and displays it downright! In addition, the depth of the 510 connection makes it impractical for most atomizers and when you find one that touches the bottom, the box fires but displays a false resistance. If the goal was to do so, so that dripbox can only be used with subdrip, why then make both parts removable at the risk of reducing the conductivity?
I drink a coffee, hesitates a long time, then I go to bed ...
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The one provided
- Description of the test configuration used: Subdrip, Tsunami, GT3, Vapor Giant Mini V3, Staturn
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: None
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
We have here a starter-kit supposed to encourage the introduction to the joys of bottom-feeding for the beginners in the matter. In this sense, with the provided dripper and proprietary resistors and provided you set the box on 80W, you get the desired effect but without the flavors. So, if the goal is to vade fade by generating nice clouds, it is perfectly achieved., But over a very short period of time because the autonomy, with a battery of 2500mAh to this power, does not exceed 1h of vape.
For confirmed in this method, turn to other kits more suitable for you.
Given the mediocrity of the Subdrip and very facetious algorithm for calculating the box's chipset, given that the same chipset is visibly unable to correctly detect a resistance, I have only two choices: that of declaring that "well that's not the craze" or that the kit did not please me at all. I choose the measure by imagining that my copy may be corrupted and that I have no luck and so, I say blah.
I'd like, after this disappointing experience that, if you use this set-up, you can post your comments below, just to report if you have the same problems, in which case it is the chipset that is in question or if you are happy with your purchase, in which case it would mean that it is the copy I have in hand that does not do its job properly.
In the current state and in the absence of returns other than my own experience, I can not decently advise this set-up and you commit to make your own tests if you consider the purchase.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.