- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 66.90 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Electronics with voltage and variable power with temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 177W
- Maximum voltage: 7.5V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
VooPoo is, you guessed it, a Chinese brand active in the vaposphere since 2017, in partnership with the developer (electronics and software) GENE, as well as US designers. They have to their credit a good herd of boxs, atomizers and accessories.
Today, we are interested in box Drag 2, a rather upscale material, even if its price is not extravagant: 66,90 € is an amount that must be justified. The latest addition to the Drag series, it differs from the previous one in design, placement of the 510 connector, maximum output power as well as a "picturesque" electronic innovation called FIT mode.
With two batteries on board, this box goes up to 177W of power, as much as it is addressed to an informed public, the geeks and the amateurs of vape tricks and other power vapeux. "Who can the more, can the least" and the first-vapers, not yet keen on extreme performance but anxious to obtain reliable and quality material, can also appreciate this "small" pearl from the East. By car for its discovery.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width and thickness of the product in mm: 51.5 X 26.5
- Product Length or Height in mm: 88.25
- Product weight in grams: 258
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Brass, Zinc / tungsten alloy, Resin
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Style of decoration: Psychedelic classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Here are its physical and technical specificities:
Dimensions: length: 88,25mm - width: 51,5mm (with buttons) - thickness (max): 26,5mm.
Weight: 160 +/- 2 g (not equipped) and 258 g (with batteries).
Materials: zinc / tungsten alloy and single-patterned resin facade.
Accumulator type supported: 2 x 18650 25A minimum (not supplied).
Power: From 5 to 177 W in increments of 1W.
Resistances tolerated (offTC / TCR): from 0,05 to 5Ω.
Resistances tolerated (TC / TCR): from 0,05 to 1,5Ω.
Output Capabilities: from 0 to 40A.
Output voltages: from 0 to 7,5V.
Temperatures taken into account: (in Curve - TC and TCR modes): 200 to 600 ° F - (93,3 - 315,5 ° C).
0.91 OLED display '' two-column display (parameterizable ads, brightness option and screen rotation).
Charging function and pass-through tolerated USB charging on PC.
Software Management (Windows) - Chipset Update You can consult it by clicking here.
Five stored (M1 ... M5).
Four different adjustable modes: Power Mode or usual mode (VW), where you set the power according to your resistance and your vape.
TCR Mode: temperature control and resistance heating mode (TC). Values (heating coefficients TCR) of pre-programmed settings for SS (Stainless Steel), Ni200 and Titanium resistive.
It is a well-studied and well-made material, its weight and its width may seem a little embarrassing for these ladies. Note also the relative bad adjustment of the battery access cover that shows a little game handling, nothing serious but it's a shame as this box is good overall.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the voltage of vape course, Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Fixed protection against overheating of the resistors of the atomizer, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its sound firmware, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software, Adjusting the display brightness, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The features are very complete, we will detail them below but before, know that the motherboard (chipset) GENE of this box, offers performances close to 95% ads in terms of power, voltage, temperature accuracy, resistive value approach displayed. I hold this info of a certain Phil Busardo who does not pass for a clampin lambda in terms of knowledge in electronics, his tests demonstrate this information, I trust him.
The Gene / VooPoo software allows you to update the chipset, as well as organize your power and temperature curves (TC & TCR) on PC, to enter the settings on the box, to save them in the form of files to integrate in a specific folder of your documents (for example), to set the duration of the puffs and especially, especially, to "customize" the ads (logo etc ...), the brightness of the screen, almost useless options so essential.
To turn on or off your box: five quick clicks, a classic. The display asks if you want to memorize the resistive value of the new atomizer YES [+] or NO [-].
You then enter POWER (VW) mode, standard. On two columns, you see the charge level of the batteries, the resistive value of the coil, the voltage of vape, finally the duration of the puffs on the left part. On the right, the wattage is displayed.
At this point you will act on the settings buttons to modulate the power values, it is the basic vape for everyone. To lock the box, a simultaneous long press on the [+] and switch (LOCK) buttons to unlock, same operation: UNLOCK and roll youth.
From the POWER mode, by pressing the switch three times quickly, you enter the FIT mode, three more and this is the temperature control mode. By pressing the [+] and [-] buttons simultaneously, you enter the menu of the selected functions. Pressing the switch and [-] at the same time changes the orientation of the screen.
There are four modes of which three are configurable: Power mode (W), FIT mode (not configurable with three possible choices), TC mode and Custom mode (M).
In Power mode:
When setting up the atomizer, the box will calculate the power to be delivered automatically (YES option) with the high value possible (eg 0,3Ω will give 4V a power of 55W). By pressing the [+] and [-] buttons simultaneously, you enter the function menu: Power mode (W), Custom mode (M), display of the serial number (SN) and display of the software version (WORM).
FIT mode : To change the 1,2 or 3 option, use the [+] and [-] buttons.
TC mode (TCR) : Supports five kinds of resistive wires: SS (stainless steel), Ni (Nickel), TI (Titanium), NC and TC being customizable from your PC on VooPoo software, according to the heating coefficients of non-pre-programmed resistives. The temperature adjustment range is between 200 and 600 ° F - (93,3 - 315,5 ° C). Below, a conversion chart will help you to see more clearly because the box is calibrated in ° Fahrenheit (it goes into ° C by going to the end of the maximum or minimum temperature in ° F).
In TC / TCR modes, to adjust the power press the switch quickly four times (you will see the W mark highlighted), the setting can then be made between 5 and 80W.
To enter the function menu, simultaneously press the [+] and [-] buttons, TC mode, Coil Cooling Value * (ΩSET) from 0,05 to 1,5Ω, Custom mode (M), Coil Coefficient (° F ).
* Coil Cooling Value: values detected and noted, three digits after the decimal point!
Custom mode (under Power or TC mode).
Simultaneously press the [+] and [-] buttons, select [M] and switch to enter one of the five storage options. Then press the switch four times quickly to enter Power Customization (W), FIT mode, TCR customization (SS, Ni, Ti).
In this mode, you have two kinds of customizations (adjustments): power or temperature. Manually, you adjust second by second (quickly press the switch four times to enter the interface "Curve" (vertical bars that increase in height with power or heat), to adjust, use buttons [+] and [-], when done, press the switch one to two seconds to exit For specific adjustments, depending on your resistive Kanthal, Nichrome ... Go to the software and enter your own values. heating coefficients are given, with the default value used by the box to calculate the power according to your temperature parameters and the resistance value of the coil.Purists will calculate themselves as accurately as these coefficients, depending the nature of their wires and the materials that compose them, the section, the resistivity of the coil.In short, the software also provides two tabs for this purpose. are also subject to rectification.
The screen turns off only after thirty seconds of inactivity, after 30 mn, the box goes into stand-by, to reactivate press the switch.
During charging via USB, the battery icons flash at the charge level where they are, when the charge is completed, the flashes stop.
To recharge the batteries in 3h, you must use a charger 5A / 2V (not recommended), prefer a charger dedicated to reloading on PC, opt for a load 2Ah maximum.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A package more spartan but quite functional, your box arrives in a black cardboard box, itself nested in a package from which it can slide.
Inside, the box is comfortably wrapped in a semi rigid black foam, it is accompanied by its USB / microUSB connection in a dedicated pocket.
Under this foam is a small black envelope in which you will find a notice in English and a certificate of guarantee (keep your proof of purchase).
On one side of the box is a QR code that sends you to the VooPoo website, a barcode and a certificate of authenticity to discover (scratch) and validate You can consult it by clicking here. .
All this would be perfect if the user manual was in French, it is not the case, too bad for the note, it is regrettable but ...
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple tissue
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
But what is this FIT mode which I speak to you without saying anything to you since the beginning of this test?
This mode is a preset (power and temperature) that takes things "in hand" without your intervention and that highlights three types of vape.
FIT 1 is the quiet vape that preserves the autonomy of the accusers. With this option, your batteries do not undergo too much peak demand, the vape is carried out in the low range of the required powers, depending on the resistance value of your atomizer.
FIT 2 is the vape flavor, the box increases power on a curve that starts high enough without reaching the upper limit depending on the coil. The immediate effect is a more pronounced heating which has the effect of quickly and more efficiently vaporizing the juice. The consumption of electricity and liquid will increase drastically and effectively, the flavors are better restored.
FIT 3 brings you to the limit values of tolerable power for your coil. Guaranteed cloud effect, hot vape too, maximum consumption in juice and energy but it is a choice, not an obligation.
In my opinion, the designers of the GENE chipset concocted three power / heat value tradeoffs that take into account the resistive value of the coil. The calculations are fast (generally speaking) and the options are efficient. Basically, this mode saves you from re-setting your settings to either save energy, make the most of your juice, or cloud your surroundings indecently. A time saving adapted to the three main modes of vape, nice.
Excellent response to the switch, whatever the modes and settings chosen, the box reacts quickly and efficiently. The brand announces that the FIT mode is suitable for its own hardware (see atos equipped with UForce Coils), which I have no doubt but I have observed in broad outline that the three options also work with different hardware.
I have not tested this box beyond 80W, it has not heated to this power. The vape is smooth and you actually see the rise in the Custom mode, if you set an increase of 10W per second (start at 10W and put the ato with the correct coil, 10 on 100W seconds!) .
In terms of consumption and autonomy, it is at the level of performance-controlled equipment, that is to say relatively energy-intensive. The screen is not a big consumer and you can dim the lights as needed.
Without reaching the level of settings of Evolv's Escribe software, VooPoo's (PC) application is efficient and intuitive despite an interface in English (or Chinese). The communication with the box operates in both directions, so you can download your settings for each storage (M1, M2 ... M5), so either to return later, or simply to remember them to use the right atomizer at the right settings.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any type of ato, your settings will do the rest
- Description of the test configuration used: RDTA, Dripper, Clearo ...
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Open bar, you will adapt your settings to your atomizer
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Normally, geeks should be thrilled, this material is definitely designed for them and each box is unique! With its 95% efficiency of calculation and the accuracy of the answers to the different possible settings, there is something to have fun. Drag 2 allows every vape imaginable, so it can also be suitable for beginners. To these, it will evolve to rebuildable atomizers, test different resistive to become real aficionados after a while.
Its price seems justified to me and its note a little less, this notice in English degrades by a few tenths, our assessment protocol is well done, I would have glued a Top Mod without this small default.
And you, what do you think ? Tell us your impressions in the comment space dedicated to you.
I wish you an excellent vape.
See you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.