- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 119 €
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 €)
- Mod type: Mechanical without kick support possible
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: Not applicable
- Maximum voltage: 8.5V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Not applicable
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Californians from Dotmod we propose an umpteenth declension of their famous DotBox.
The newcomer is a mechanical 18650 double box that takes the usual lines of the series. It brings new under the hood since it is able to work in parallel or in series. In short a box Méca 2 1.
It is positioned as usual in products called "High End" with a price of 119 €.
She still looks so seductive, looking forward to seeing this serial / parallel switch system at work.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 27
- Product Length or Height in mm: 82
- Product weight in grams: 165
- Material composing the product: Anodized aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Plastic Adjustment Knob
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
La DotBox Dual Mech resumes the usual lines of the series. Compact, she is always sexy. This box has a feminine side, its soft and thin curves, its lightness, we are miles away from what we usually offer American designers.
The purity of its lines, combined with the beautiful quality of anodizing makes this box more than desirable.
On the front in the logo, "mandala" is displayed in gold lines. Under this facet is the battery compartment.
The opposite side welcomes him, the beautiful golden switch engraved with the logo of the brand which for once, is black.
Under this facade hides the famous switch. A small cream colored disc crossed by a small slot completed with an arrow which logically marks the selected operating position.
The 510 pine is above the box, in the center, which allows it to accommodate 24mm without overflow.
As always, the quality is irreproachable, we can not ask more and very honestly, the price seems totally justified.
- Type of chipset used: None / Mechanical
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: None / Mod Méca
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Not applicable, it is a mechanical mod
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
This little news is a Box Mecca, no screen, no settings, well almost. Yes I say almost, since there is still this switch system that offers to operate our Box is in parallel, or in series and offers more a locking position.
For those who do not know the difference between these two systems, we can summarize in a simple way by saying that in parallel it is the power of the batteries that adds up while in series is the intensity of the current.
So, in the parallel mode we can use very low resistances without falling below the 0.2Ω, they will then be powered by a maximum current of 4.2V. And in series mode, we will use higher resistors above 0.6Ω which they will receive a maximum current of 8.4V.
As we know, the Mechanical Mods are not to use anyhow, that's why the brand gives us its limits but it still provided a fuse in case.
A very interesting Méca Box that goes a little further than its main rivals thanks to this clever system.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
As for the presentation of this little gem, we are entitled to the matt black box stamped with the golden logo Dotmod which finds its place in the center of the lid. This is the presentation common to all products of the brand. Inside the Box, a notice in English and the certificate of authenticity, "what else? ".
The presentation is summary but class, pity that the record is not translated.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple handkerchief
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
La Dotbox Dual Mech so compact, it will follow you without any harm in all your wanderings. The ergonomics are good, the edges are soft and the position of the fire button is optimal.
The switch that allows you to switch from one mode to another (serial, locked, parallel) is easy to access, we remove the cover that is used to help you turn the dial selection, we use one of the corners that are placed in the slot pierced in the diameter of the small plastic disc.
The batteries are accessible via the other side, we remove the cover and we have access to two 18650 batteries. No difficulty, the two accuses put in the same direction.
The box has good conductivity and the switch is responsive. A Box Méca effective, practical and very pretty, what more?
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? a good dripper or a good RDTA
- Description of the test configuration used: Govad Rdta to 0.15Ω, Double Doode Dripper Clapton to 0.5Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A good double coil dripper
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
One more time Dotmod we propose a beautiful and successful product.
The design does not vary much, our Californian friends found their style. A bit like if we were dealing with a Porsche 911, the proportions change somewhat but the lines that make the dna of this series (DotBox) do not move. At the same time, why change when you hold such a harmonious form and which made the success of this brand.
Besides, our DotBox Dual Mech does not have that plastic to put forward. A dual 18650 battery capable of running in series or parallel, it is rather interesting to enjoy both modes with the same box. The chosen system seems reliable and in addition it is coupled with a safety fuse which is not disdainable given the performance offered by this "beautiful little sportswoman".
A Top Mod indisputable that greets the marriage of a feminine beauty with the power of a small race beast that suggests a background of bestiality.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.