- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: LCA
- Price of the tested product: 89 €
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100W
- Maximum voltage: 8.5V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The Dominator kit is offered by Advken, a Chinese brand that is still not very present on the French market but is beginning to make itself known. The brand seems to be moving towards products for confirmed vapers.
The Dominator kit consists of a simple accu box that accepts 21700 or 20700 or 18650. She is able to reach the 100W.
The mod is accompanied by the sub-ohm Dominator clearomizer. It is an aerial and cloudy atomizer that ships 4.5ml of e-liquid.
A kit that does not necessarily bring new but is well in the air.
All that remains is to check that it is working, so on the way ...
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 26
- Product Length or Height in mm: 85
- Product weight in grams: 210
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Not applicable
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 2.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The dominator is a relatively compact box but its design gives it a certain "heaviness", a small solid side just attenuated by the softened edges. The lines are simple but there is still originality in the design.
On the front side, the oled screen finds a place in the middle of the height but it is eccentric to the right in relation to the width. Below, the two small round buttons +/-. We distinguish the cutout of the cover of the battery door on which is engraved an original symbol.
The reverse side of this face is distinguished by the contribution of a carbon part that hosts the micro USB port.
One of the short sides receives a large "plate" in black plastic of rectangular shape but whose small sides are rounded. Above, the name Dominator is in relief, it's actually the switch trigger.
In contrast, we find the battery door, it is this side that gives the appearance "massive" with its raw design. It is correctly held by two magnets.
On the top of the box, the 510 port is placed on the same line as the screen, the pin is mounted on spring and is very flexible.
If the design is rather nice, the assembly him, suffers from some small approximations. Indeed, the trigger is not quite adjusted, it is not dramatic but it does not really qualitative. The other small fault is at the battery cover. Again, the adjustment is not ideal and the hood moves slightly. The last thing, the metal finish I have in test takes a little finger marks.
All this could be excused but some competitors on the same price band do better.
The atomizer is very classic. The lines are simple and without any fantasy. It is a very consensual sub-ohm clearomizer that fits perfectly into this family of atomizers. Its diameter 24mm and 40mm high allow it to ship 4.5ml of juice. It is wearing a black drip-tip of a fairly large diameter but it is still a type 510.
At its base, there is a very smooth airflow ring, pierced by two slots rather long but not wide.
A correct kit but some defects come a little tarnish the note of this item. These imperfections are not prohibitive but, for the moment, given the prices, it remains behind competitors such as Smok or Joyetech.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short-circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of current vape voltage, current vape power display, atomizer resistors temperature control, support firmware update, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
If the Dominator is equipped with everything you need, it does not offer anything superfluous.
Indeed, there is a By-pass mode that turns your electronic mod into mod mecha. Then the inevitable variable power mode whose scaling value ranges from 5W to 100W. And lastly, the TC Ni, TC Ti and TC SS modes that propose to vary the temperature of the coil from 100 to 300 ° C.
All modes have the same range of values for the compatibility of resistors, so we can vary this value from 0.1 to 3Ω.
The screen is clear, a little simplistic in the display, it tells you: the current mode, the value of the chosen power or temperature, the voltage of vape, the value of the resistance and finally the level of the drums.
The micro Usb port will be used to update the firmware or reload the battery even if it is recommended to use an external charger as a priority.
The box can be used with either an 18650 with a supplied adapter, an 21700 or an 20700.
So we have a complete set-up but nothing new in the category.
The atomizer is also quite simple and classic. It is equipped with a filling system from the top with its sliding top-cap. It ships 4.5ml juice, which seems in line with its use.
It is associated with proprietary resistors of 0.2 or 0.6Ω but it seems that there is an RBA base.
It is intended for an aerial vape, which is confirmed at the sight of the airflow ring and its beautiful openings. We can, of course, vary this opening but do not consider an indirect vape, it is really not made for that.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The kit arrives in a black rigid cardboard box surrounded by a thin cardboard sleeve. On the sheath, there is a picture of our box more atomizer on a background of nebula that my weak knowledge of astronomy does not allow me to identify.
On the back, as usual, we find the description of the contents of the pack and the normative logos. On one of the short sides, we identify the date of manufacture and scratch code to verify the authenticity.
Once the sheath is removed, the black box is only decorated with the symbol chosen for this product. Its lid is held by a magnet, when it is lifted, we discover our box, the atomizer, a spare tank, seals, two resistors (one of 0.2 and one of 0.6), a USB / micro-USB cable and finally, a notice translated into French.
The kit is complete and the presentation rather good, no complaints.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
One of the highlights of this mod is its ease of use. As we have seen, it offers a full range of fashion but it shines by its simplicity. No specific settings that are sometimes complicated, here we click 3 times on the switch bar and we choose its mode of operation in a very clear list.
Once the chosen mode, one will intervene either on the value of the power, or on the max temperature of the coil with the buttons +/-. The only other manipulation is used to lock these two small buttons, simply hold them pressed simultaneously for a few seconds to activate or deactivate.
The ergonomics are very good, the box is comfortable thanks to the bar fire. The screen is very basic in its form of display but it is very legible.
The size, without being ultra-reduced, is quite acceptable for nomadic use.
The change of battery presents no difficulty since it is sufficient to remove the cover to access the battery. The charge management of the battery is perfectly correct and you will need two 18650 to hold the day at an average power of 40W.
The atomizer is also easy to use, the filling is done from the top after sliding the top-cap to reveal a filling hole of a correct size, compatible with many end caps vials.
Disassembly flows from source, just unscrew the base to access the resistance. Likewise, the variation of opening of the air inlets is simply by the rotation of the airflow ring. Too bad that the latter is completely smooth because, without any decision, the operation is not always easy in practice even if it is simple in theory.
The sensations of vape are good, a beautiful production of steam and a good enough transcribing of flavors. The only point less friendly is the small leaks that can occur after filling or when we leave our kit lying too long.
Overall, a kit rather pleasant to use that stands out especially for its simplicity of adjustment.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? No limit except the max diameter of 25mm for the atomizer
- Description of the test configuration used: as is
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: as is, but the box can of course be effective with most atomizers.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.1 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Advken presents a complete kit that is easy to use and practical enough to use.
The box has a simple design but quite original to seduce. Too bad that the realization suffers from some small approximations.
Equipped with a trigger switch, the mod is comfortable, the controls are simple and it will only take a few minutes to assimilate them all. The box is effective and shows no signs of malfunction.
Even if it is intended for savvy vapers (by the power it can develop), beginners will have no trouble using it because the menus are simple and the possible settings are reduced to the essential, not need to be an expert.
I am less seduced by the atomizer. It is also simple, it is not different from what already exists and its look is very consensual. So, it gives pretty good sensations but it occasionally suffers small leaks just after filling or when you put the set-up too long.
Nevertheless, this kit is nice, his look can make the difference but it's really his simplicity that allows him to score points. Advken has chosen to do the basics and not to complicate its use by multiplying the options of adjustment or display.
Rest the price, the kit displays a rate close to 80 € on foreign sites and I find it a bit high but maybe in a month or two we will find it at more correct rates that I would position around the 60 € .
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.