- Sponsor who loaned the product for the magazine: Acquired on our own funds
- Price of the tested product: 64.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 188 watts
- Maximum voltage: 8.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Hugo Vapor is a brand that is starting to get noticed. Specialized in boxs, it offers a fairly varied range, oscillating between the use of "prestigious" chipsets like Evolv DNA75 and chipsets from their own research in the field. It is quite inflated when we are not yet a brand well known or deemed to directly attack the motorization of mods, especially as the market contains nuggets in the genre. In general, it is a matter of copying a little what others do, in less often, to lower production costs. Here, even if I do not want to reveal the rest, we could be very surprised!
The Boxer V2 descends in line with the first name whose power already comfortable 160W proposed under the hood. Here, we go to 188W and in addition, we have interesting features that will sublimate the user experience.
Offered at less than 65 €, it is an excellent deal at this price for the power it offers and could well play the challenger in the category of powerful boxs by focusing on its tariff and its particular aesthetic. The temperature control is of course part and other functions for fine tuning. The geeks will love it!
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 40
- Product Length or Height in mm: 90
- Product weight in grams: 289
- Material composing the product: Alloy Aluminum / Zinc
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
A brick ! This is undoubtedly the element of reference which served to the designers of the mark. Indeed, we have a massive box, high enough whose dimensions of 40x35x90 and a weight of 289gr, equipped with the two necessary batteries, will make reflect small hands and wrists fragile. However, the aesthetic is worked, in order to communicate a perceived quality favorable. Carved more like an Audi than a Ferrari, the Boxer imposes by its monolithic appearance. Serious.
On one side, the manufacturer has added in molding the name of the mod, "boxer", in an imposing size that accentuates the impression of power and affirmation. It is objectively original and, although I hear that it may please or not please, we can only rejoice to hold in hand a box like no other and proposing a physical alternative to the consensual forms of news in the matter.
The control facade retains this sober and broad look that suits the Boxer V2 by offering a large switch, curved in the center, which is a true work of art and a joy to operate. Without doubt one of the best switches that I have been given to manipulate. The control buttons [+] and [-] are located on the same black plastic bar and are easy to maneuver by greeting each solicitation with a cheerful sound click. We feel that the quality of the controls has been optimized for an excellent user experience.
The Oled screen is good size and clear even if we can blame a contrast not high enough for my taste. Although the size is fairly standard in the category, some menus lack clarity and the smallness of some characters will force the eyes to wrinkle under the effort of reading. Nothing dramatic, however, the worked ergonomics of the chipset coming to overcome this.
The box has a myriad of vents to reassure about cooling and degassing possibilities. No less than 40 on the battery cradle cover and 20 on the bottom cap. These vents have been thought of as part of the aesthetics of the box and are important for its success.
The grip is good even if you will not go unnoticed with this mod. To book large enough, however. The texture of the painted coating on the aluminum / zinc alloy of the box is soft and pleasant to the touch. What to regret even more what is in my opinion the big defect of the box, which unfortunately penalizes the rest.
Indeed, the battery door, magnetic, is a hell. In a rather loose dress, it is more wobbly and becomes even embarrassing to grip because it keeps moving according to your movements. This is not disqualifying but it is eminently unpleasant and all the more remarkable that the rest is a perfect finish. Here, the weakness of the magnets on the one hand and the absence of guides on the other hand make that the bonnet stirs incessantly, is visually badly adjusted and drastically lowers the quality notation. It's a shame even if, in everyday use, you end up not paying attention.
The 510 connection is of excellent quality and contains a network of channels that seem to carry air for the atomizers that take airflow through their connection. The positive pin is brass, ensuring, one imagines, a correct conductivity.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, vape time display from a certain date, temperature control of atomizer resistors, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Hugo Vapor has produced a remarkable job on his chipset. Complete, ergonomic and intuitive control, it does not work in the lot of branded chipsets and even offers many possibilities, all focused on the setting of the vape and not on the gadgetisation of any customizations.
The box works indeed in several modes:
A variable power mode, from 1 to 188W on a scale from 0.06 to 3Ω, adjustable in increments of one tenth of a watt to 100W and then in steps of one watt thereafter.
This mode is also influenced by what the manufacturer calls the PTC for Pure Taste Control which boosts the signal start in an amplitude -30 to + 30W. Let's take an example: I want to vaper at 40W but my clapton mount is a little diesel. I set the PTC to + 10W and, for an adjustable period of time, the mod will send 50W to preheat the coil and then deliver the requested 40W. What wake up montages a little heavy and possibly calm too tonic montages to avoid dry-hits appearing when the capillary is not yet fully irrigated. Perfect !
The PTC also has a mode called M4, which allows to vary the signal curve over the entire length by following seven adjustable steps. Enthusiast all geeks who really like "pimp the vape"!
A temperature control mode is also present. It allows the use of Ni200, titanium and SS316. It is fairly conventional and goes without TCR, which ultimately is not so serious. It ranges from 100 to 300 ° C on a scale between 0.06 and 1Ω
A bypass mode, emulating the operation of a mechanical mod, also exists and thus allows the use of all the residual voltage of the batteries to feed the coil. Be careful though, it is 8.4V who will go to ato when the batteries will be in full charge since it is a series editing. What to take off an atomizer as in Cape Canaveral and put it on orbit if the resistance is inadequate.
The Boxer V2 can send 25A to the maximum, which is correct and allows to "play" pretty much on all the tables from the moment we are not too greedy or teasing ... An intensity that allows to send for example, 188W on an 0.4Ω mount without exceeding 17A. What to have fun.
In the category "we do not care!", We note the precious presence and as useful as a pair of santiags to a flamingo of a puff counter ...
Ergonomics is very well thought out and control of all functions is easy. 5 clicks to turn off or turn on the infernal machine. 3 clicks switch to the menu of choices between variable power, temperature control and bypass. And then, when you're already in a mode of operation, 2 clicks will be enough to access the precise settings like the PTC for the power mode or the watts setting for the temperature control mode.
Pressing the [+] and [-] buttons simultaneously will cause the power or temperature setting to be locked and the same press will unlock the lock. Nothing really good then, just a quarter of an hour to understand, half an hour to get used and all the rest of the time to adjust and vaper!
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Very "flashy", the cardboard box of a fluorescent yellow changes the usual shades of black and white. It is tonic while remaining effective since the box does not make concessions on the protection of the box.
A re-rollable USB / micro USB cable is provided as well as a manual in English, alas, but rather clear, located in a black pocket under the cardboard cover.
This packaging is attractive compared to the price of the box and quite suitable for the category ... superior.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
This chipset wins to be known. Once properly adjusted to your atomizer, it's a joy to use.
Whether variable power, using or not the PTC or temperature control, the result is quite worthy of more chipsets sides, I think for example the DNA200, yet very powerful. The rendering of vape is optimizable at will and never pour in any caricature. It allows a controlled signal from end to end, a compact and precise vape and the flavors are revealed as and when the puffs.
By rising in power and up to the breaking intensity, no problem, the valiant Boxer assumes its 188W without problem and ensures a consistent rendering. Similarly, the differences between resistance levels do not scare it and it behaves the same way with a 1.5Ω clearo than with a wild dripper in 0.16Ω, a clear sign that the calculation algorithms have been worked particularly well. .
The chipset does not heat up and shows no weakness during the day. The autonomy is rather higher average and provides peace of mind when leaving with the only mod.
In short, in use, it's perfect and for the price, we have a box that has all the performance of a large.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT3, Psywar beast, Narda, Nautilus X
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any ato of diameter smaller than 25mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.3 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
It is a very positive assessment that I am making at the time of writing this conclusion.
The Boxer V2 is a cheap box, autonomous, with a very powerful chipset and with precise adjustments and numerous own to shape in a simple way, without having to play with a software on your computer, a vape personalized and of quality.
The firmware is not upgradable and the battery cover is largely perfectible. These are the only two flaws that I see and that can not, at least for me, prevent the use of the boxer V2 daily and nomadic mode or it will excel. But, to be objective, these two defects are no longer relevant today and prevent the Boxer V2 to access the Top Mod it would have deserved otherwise.
Nevertheless, I prefer to retain top performance and a friendly rate that make the Boxer a mod quite conceivable, including main mod, and will largely play its part in your quest for the perfect vape.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.