- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Ave40
- Price of the tested product: 58.25 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Our Californian friends from Limitless are coming back and they are not happy!
The proof with this Arms Race, powerful box and endowed with an atypical look of which the golden rank proudly sported on the main facade emphasizes the military aspect. A mod thought as a weapon of mass destruction, that is interesting and risks to talk in the corridors of the UN ...
Available around 59 € at our sponsor of the day, the Arms Race whose nickname means "arms race" is like a double battery box, able to send up to 200W from 0.1Ω, motorized by a proprietary chipset developed especially for the occasion. Add to that a very specific aesthetic, possibilities of customization and here we have a different object that titillates curiosity.
Big power for an attractive price by a Californian moderator whose past achievements speak for him, there is enough to do a thorough analysis and a little pleasure in passing. So, without further ado, let's go!
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 25
- Product Length or Height in mm: 90
- Product weight in grams: 239
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Plastic
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Military
- Quality of decoration: Medium
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, we find ourselves facing a dark block whose shapes alternately recall a gun, the caterpillars of tanks and turrets-lasers sci-fi movies. Add to that a grade with two chevrons, gold metal, and it is well in the theme chosen by the manufacturer: the Arms is a massive vape! Thus, we can consider that the bet is held and the form, which we will detail, is the brilliant demonstration.
The box is cut in half at about halfway up. The top is the atomizer that takes its place on a spring 510 connection installed on a rubber track and surrounded by a rim whose bow has been cut to let air necessary for your atomizers and whose sides have been pierced for the same purpose. We also find a switch of the same material as the top-cap, rectangular and quite precise.
Down, in addition to the two interface buttons, there is a metal part that dislodges as a gun magazine using a metal button on the bottom-cap next to the micro-USB jack and eight well-sized degassing vents. This causes the entire bottom to be extracted to make way for the silo-like locations for the batteries. It is sufficient, once we have checked the direction of the batteries by looking on the surrounding box, to press the store again so that the animal is ready to fire. This metal part is adorned here with a tattoo-like design that symbolizes a skull of Indian chief, at the limit of visibility but which is discovered at a better inclination to light. The room changes depending on the version and color and can even be purchased as an option to change the overall look of your box. A good idea and a good principle that increase the reference to armament suggested by the surname of mod.
The materials used are credible: the frame and most of the body is made of plastic, the store is aluminum. The finish is correct with a rubber coating that gives a pleasant grip even if the assembly is not free of defects. Indeed, the plastic walls tend to be a little loose and yawn a little around the frame. Nothing crippling but a little anachronistic defect in our time or the perceived general quality of boxes has singularly evolved for the better.
Three other flat keys can taint the comfort of use of the box. The first concerns the housing of the batteries. If they take well Samsung 25R, MXJO for example will not be calculated by the chipset, probably the fault of a lack of elasticity of the contactors that will tend to sort according to the actual size of the battery . We all know that 18650 is 65mm in length but that's on paper. In reality, this dimension undergoes fluctuations according to the marks and, under certain conditions, a small millimeter can make a big difference. This seems to be the case here but hey, just know it and feed the Arms with the proper batteries.
Second flat: the screen. Stretching length under the location of the atomizer, it is not very easy to read. With a medium contrast, it becomes almost illegible in full natural light. In addition, its location that places it in the palm of your hand if you switch with the index multiplies the manipulations when you want to make adjustments on the fly. Finally, the screen takes place in an elongated polycarbonate frame that contributes to the aesthetics of the box. Why not ? But, in this case, why have added the same frame on the opposite side of the box at the risk of maintaining confusion and having to return the object again and again to find what location actually hosts the screen?
The final downside will concern the micro USB socket used to charge the device whose location below the box is far from relevant and will, in most cases, put the Arms in a horizontal position for reloading and, most often, remove the atomizer to prevent leaks .... not smart.
Of course, none of these defects impede the proper functioning of the Arms but they are pernicious details that make a small difference in the comfort of use and general ergonomics. And they provoke, in this chapter of physical characteristics, a balance more contrasted than one would have thought while discovering the box.
It remains to me to evoke the dimensions which are relatively imposing, in particular in width, and which will reserve the use of the Arms with rather large hands. The weight, meanwhile, is relatively contained in relation to the size of the machine.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
As we saw earlier, the chipset was developed for the box. The motto that has prevailed in its design and which is claimed by the creators is: simplicity.
The ergonomics have been worked because indeed, we do not fit into obscure sub-menus to adjust what can be. The Arms offers a variable power mode that traverses a scale from 5 to 200W and shoots from 0.1Ω. There is also a temperature control mode, incorporating the use of SS36, Ni200, titanium and a TCR and offering a run between 100 and 300 ° C. There is also a Joule mode, like what Yihi can do for example, but it still suffers from a lack of settings that makes it quite user-friendly. What is the question of its concrete utility?
The manipulations are simple and intuitive enough even if they change from those we might be used to. Five clicks turn the power on or off. Until then, nothing new. To choose the mode, press the switch and the [+] button, choose with the [+] and [-] buttons and confirm with the switch. Therefore, we go to the next step if necessary: choice of resistive, TCR, choice of power in temperature control mode ... At each stage and there is little, the switch is still responsible for validation.
Simultaneous press on the switch and the [-] allows a rotation of the screen or the choice of the stealth mode.
And that's about all ... which is to say that the promise of simplicity of the manufacturer has been respected to the letter. Even if the manipulations change a little of the ordinary, they are really simple and effective and, after a short time of adaptation, become intuitive notwithstanding the location of this damn screen.
I will still crack a slight blow mouth because, regardless of the ease of access of a device, it is still necessary to communicate to the user the basic manipulations and technical specifications. Still goes that the record shines by its absence in the packaging. After all, we've seen others ... But the QR code savvy, supposed to direct us to an online manual, we need on a page whose meager content is the most crude impasse on the necessary for good start with the Arms. You can also check it for yourself HERE. Let's go (again !!!) on the fact that the video on the page is much more like an advertisement of the object but the famous user manual is in six lines and the specifications are for absent subscribers. At this level, it is no longer an oversight, it is a shame.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 1.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging presents very well. A beautiful black cardboard box serves as a box at the box that takes place in a firm and protective foam. The front of the box proudly displays the famous golden grade found on the mod and the aesthetic has been well worked to seduce the user. A good point.
For the rest, do not look, it's empty! No instructions, no charging cable, just a carton with the QR code much useless. A bad point.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
This box is entirely dedicated to driver complex and heavy assemblies. It has a devastating punch that can boost diesel diesel coils. The vape is powerful and does not bother with subtleties. Moreover, it will even have a little trouble to properly conduct a simple coil made with a simple resistive. The tsunami sent by the chipset tends to overheat the cushy resistances and the juices quickly become difficult to vape and have a taste of hot.
On the other hand, on a big and soft clapton, the opposite is happening. The coil blushes at great V speeds and delivers atomic clouds to feast on the most stuffed cloud-chasers.
This is what happens in variable power mode. In temperature control, whether in joule or classic TC, the box delivers what you expect and is more inclined to exalt the flavors.
To give you an example, I take my Vaport Giant Mini V3, mounted in 0.52Ω. Usually, I print a power of 38 / 39W to find my sweet spot. And it goes well on all the boxes that I could test and it starts to have a lot of them. With the Arms, I fall to 34 / 35W. Higher up, it's the hot taste assured!
Obviously, you do not have to look for great flavors with the Arms. It is more suitable for sending than for a quiet tasting. On the other hand, she roars of pleasure under a double-coil dripper mounted with complex threads and that, she does it very well.
One last thing. Comments could be put back by the first users of this box on a battery problem. Indeed, with each request of the switch, the chipset leaves to check if the batteries are able to send the tension that one asks them under the adequate intensity and if it is not the case, the box will display a message "too low Indicating that your batteries are not ready to deliver the expected performance. This will happen if you use batteries that are too low in CDM or if they arrive at the end of their charge. It is certainly a bit peremptory and frustrating, but the brand pledges that it is so intended for the protection of the user and the device. The advice to use excellent batteries known for their reliability is therefore even more important than usual since the box will not work optimally with lower references. Again, 25R or VTC are quite appropriate and did not pose any problem, including the highest power.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer of 25mm of diameter or less
- Description of the test configuration used: Zeus, Hadaly, Marvn ...
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: An ato equipped with an assembly that takes the high powers
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Arms Race gets a good score that reflects the respect of its double promise: simplicity and power. In both cases, it is served and the box surprises even with its very high signal that really asserts itself on the most impressive montages.
However, we must take into account the few flats evoked, a medium finish and lack of versatility that may present a brake in some vapers. In temperature control mode, for those who love this type of vape, it will be wiser and probably more in line with the powers displayed.
Remains a formidable aesthetic, which may please or displease with its ultra side but that still changes the bulk of production and it is not worse.
We thought to discover a Beretta, we are rather on a Tomahawk missile. The Arms Race is not there to joke, you are warned!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.