- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Myfree cig http://myfree-cig.com/
- Price of the tested product: 159.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Mechanical without kick support possible
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: Not applicable
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Not applicable
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The box Alum is a mechanical box working in double battery mounted in parallel. Entirely handmade, the Alum has some "physical" imperfections that contribute to its beauty.
The V2 version of the Alum brings a new, more robust 510 connector, the previous one had caused some concern about the V1. The mistakes of youth are now repaired.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 45
- Product Length or Height in mms: 101
- Product weight in grams: 150
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Wood
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Cultural Reference
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
If you are the maniac type or nothing should exceed, go your way, this box is not for you. Due to its craftsmanship, the Alum has some defects of finish. The wooden panel coming to close the battery door is not always well aligned, no corner of the box is the same, we feel that its creator has played the file to try to make them identical, but it is also these imperfections that make each alum unique.
- Type of chipset used: None / Mechanical
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by the mod: None / Mod Méca
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Average, there is a noticeable difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, there is a noticeable difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 1.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The box suffers from a voltdrop too pronounced for my taste. Indeed, reading voltmeter, we get a voltdrop of the order of 0.15v, which is huge and it is felt in the vape especially with low resistance.
It's a shame because, despite everything, the box is well thought. The double hatch is very practical for accessing the batteries and the 510 spring connector surrounded by tinted / etched clay will ensure flush mounting with all your atomizers.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
For this time, I will not be critical about conditioning (once is not customary 😉). Indeed, the moder has chosen to play thoroughly the map of the craft by delivering us this Alum in a box entirely made of bamboo, it's the most beautiful effect!
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Alum is very easy to live with. Its wide opening of the battery compartment greatly facilitates the installation or removal of the latter. To use it, simply mount his favorite atomizer, put two batteries and you are ready to vape.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Rebuildable Genesys type metal mounting mesh, Rebuildable Genesys type mounting metal wick
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Nothing scares him, all the atomizers will pass on this box provided to have a lower resistance to 1ohm
- Description of the test configuration used: different atomizer with resistance between 1ohm and 0.2ohm
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any atomizer with a resistance below 1ohm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.1 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
A lot of noise around this box, including the V1 and its connector problem. I was expecting a lot of this V2 and I admit to being a little disappointed.
Indeed, its large volt-drop will prevent you from taking advantage of the real power of your batteries and it's a shame.
The box is very beautiful and its "craft and I assume" really has something to like. From the 510 connector and its tinted clay decoration, these exotic wood panels, everything is there to make it a real collector's item. Moreover, we rarely use collectibles and for me this box must stay wisely on a beautiful shelf ...
Some will say that I am hard in my remarks and I apologize, but the feeling is not passed, it is not more complicated than that.
Another big thank you to Xavier de Myfree-cig for the loan of this Alum v2 that I am sure will find happiness in the pocket of a vaper.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.