- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: HappeSmoke
- Price of the tested product: 51.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100W
- Maximum voltage: 9V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.05
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
You dreamed about it, Geek Vape did it! An ergonomic box, with a long battery life, which is not afraid of dust, water or shocks, unbelievably solid while having many features ... it's the Aegis 100W.
Its power first of all allows a use with all the types of atomizers, that it is clearomizers, reconstructible, simple or double coils, drippers, with modes of vapes different in power, in control of temperature or even in mode By -pass.
A novelty is present in the proposed modes, it is the VPC that boosts the exotic montages requiring a significant reactivity. Another novelty, size this one, the material of the box since the body is mainly made in a silicone injection molding. A first that is a success and makes this box almost indestructible.
Not content to offer a Hulk of the vape, Geek Vape also offers the opportunity to vape in the shower because it is also waterproof. Not only for e-liquid dripping, but the entire box is waterproof! However, there are some precautions to take when using the accessories provided.
The ergonomics are perfect to fit the shape of the palm of the hand. It takes both an 26650 battery and an 18650 battery with the supplied adapter, but be careful, your battery must have a discharge capacity of 35A (manufacturer data).
The atomizers can afford a large diameter because, if the plate is a diameter of 25mm, its capacity is much higher and sufficient to set a model of 30mm. What a lot to see coming.
Finally, the chipset update is possible via a micro USB cable not provided (do not push ...). It lacks only one thing, it is the reloading on the box which, it turns out to be fruitless via this hidden USB port.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or diameter of the product in mm: 46.8 x 37.8 mm (30 for the maximum diameter of the atomizer) and connection plate with a diameter 20mm
- Product Length or Height in mm: 88
- Product weight in grams: 255 and 202 without batteries
- Material composing the product: Zinc alloy and LSR
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The first characteristic of the Aegis is its solidity. Visually, this box offers three colors with three different materials, but these differences in material are specially studied to offer an identical and therefore maximum strength.
The body is made of black LSR (Liquid Silicon Rubber). Basically, it is a liquid silicone, which has a very low viscosity and requires a perfect seal in the footprints to ensure a final product without burrs. As the injection is carried out at a high temperature, the expansion of the steels and the intrinsic shrinkage of the material are parameters that must be taken into account when designing the box for LSR injection. Thus, one obtains a very solid material and without burr. The touch is soft, similar to rubber.
A hoop made of zinc alloy and aluminum, it seems, further solidifies the general structure and in particular the area where the battery is inserted, acting as a frame. Its coating is smooth with a Gun metal finish on which two engravings are made on both sides of the mod. On the one hand, the name of the box "AEGIS" and on the other, that of Geek Vape.
This open frame reveals a leather part whose seams provide a well-finished aesthetic for a pleasant visual. On the received test pattern, this leather is of the "camouflage" type in black / gray / white tones. I pushed the vice by removing the two parts of the roll bar held by 4 star screw. The handling is simple and highlights a clean job and allows, if necessary, to change the leather part that is stuck on the box. The thickness of the leather is consistent, with about 2mm of material.
The box itself has a compact shape, it takes place without difficulty in the palm of the hand and brings a very significant comfort with its rounded shapes. She is not sensitive to fingerprints.
The insertion of the battery is done simply by unscrewing, under the box, the steel hood which is really convenient to remove without tools. It is thus possible to place an 26650 format battery or an 18650 battery with the supplied adapter. However, if you opt for the 18650 format, be careful to take a battery that can deliver 35A at a minimum.
On the top-cap, the platinum is very wide. This is a good thing because, with these 25mm diameter, it is possible to place many atomizers without damaging the party in LSR. The 510 pin is spring loaded and flush mounted.
On the top-cap, you can also see a hood, held by two star screws, which conceals a USB port. This port will be used for updating the chipset if necessary, but in no case reloading your battery. Protected by a transparent silicone cover, no dust will fit inside, no liquid either.
For the front, we are on a very nice interface tempered black glass. It offers a wide and clear screen. The information is of sufficient size with, first, the displayed power, the battery level, the resistance value, the display of the intensity then the voltage and finally the number of puffs.
The buttons are excellent, starting with the switch located above the display. It comes in the form of a small rectangular metal switch of the same color as the arches, the refined line and whose use is very practical. Impossible to miss it! The other two buttons, more discreet, are for adjustments. They work perfectly well but remain quite common.
From an aesthetic point of view, ergonomics, strength, assembly and many other things already mentioned, the Aegis 100W is perfect. No more no less !
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, vape time display from a certain date, fixed overheat protection of atomizer resistors, temperature control of atomizer resistors, support update of its firmware
- Accusability: 18650, 26650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 30
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The first feature of the Aegis is its versatility in the choice of the battery, 18650 or 26650. This difference will affect the autonomy of your box and its ability to increase in intensity that are managed by a module owner. These features are inherent to a chipset that, beyond that, offers many possibilities:
The modes of vape
They are fairly standard with, for starters, a variable power mode from 1 to 100W with a threshold resistor of 0.05Ω.
Then, we have a temperature control mode, from 100 to 300 ° C (or 200 to 600 ° F), with Ni200 resistive, SS316 or titanium. A TCR mode is present where you will have to implement the heating coefficient of your particular resistive. The threshold resistance will then be 0.05Ω.
It is also entitled to a bypass mode, which allows the box to be used as a mechanical mod that delivers battery voltage while benefiting from chipset protections.
The last mode is quite exceptional. It is indeed a novelty that the VPC mode proposes, since it allows to vape with exotic coils by modulating the settings of values (P1 to P5) from 5 to 100 to boost the vape.
The display gives all the necessary indications: the power you have set or the temperature display if you are in TC mode, the battery indicator for its charge state, the display of the voltage and the voltage. intensity communicated to the atomizer when one vape and, of course, the value of your resistance. A puff counter is also in place. More dispensable, it has the merit of being there as a bonus.
You can use different functions depending on the circumstances or the needs. Thus, this chipset offers the Lock mode, so that the box is triggered in a bag or pocket and inhibits the switch.
The locking of the resistance makes it possible to keep a stable value of it even in use. We can reset it.
The brightness setting of the screen.
Module update via micro USB cable (not supplied)
Detection and protections
- No resistance
- Protects from short circuits
- Cut in case of resistance temperature too high
- Cut in case of excessive heating of the chipset (PCB> 75 ° C)
- Signals when the battery is low
- Protects from deep discharges
- Prevents if the resistance is too high or too low
- Detection of lack of liquid
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
It is not exceptional but preserves the box properly. In a black cardboard box, the box is set in a velvet foam, accompanied by a second small black box for accessories.
In the accessories, there is a battery adapter that allows the use of 18650 batteries. Without this cradle, you will need to use an 26650 battery. There are also two O-rings, two small star screws and a silicone cover that fits the opening for the USB port.
This box is accompanied by a notice in several languages (8 in total including French)
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Nothing works, needs a bag in a bandage
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The use is relatively simple. Within reach of everyone, this box, like most, requires 5 clicks on the switch for ignition. Same to extinguish it.
The adjustment buttons are locked by pressing the [+] and [-] simultaneously.
To choose its mode of vape, it is necessary to return in the menu by 3 clicks on the switch, then to scroll the modes with the [+] and the [-]. Validate the search by a long press on the switch.
In order to adjust the brightness of the screen, simply hold the switch and [+] simultaneously to have a brighter screen. Or switch and [-] for less light.
It is possible to lock the resistance (cold of course) by entering the menu and scrolling functions, then confirm with the [-] button to see a small lock. The resistance is then locked.
The puff counter can also be reset by returning to the menu, scrolling through the functions and pressing [+] to "reset" the counter.
The VPC mode offers 5 positions, from P1 to P5, which are adjustable by values ranging from 5 to 100. These values make it possible to adapt the vape to an exotic coil whose material is not taken into account as in a classic box. So your vape will be better adapted once the values are carefully adjusted.
For the firmware update, it will be mandatory to undo the two star screws located on the top-cap and then remove the small cover and the silicone cap. Another accessory needed to do this (not supplied) is the micro USB cable. To connect the box, insert the cable on the computer then hold the box switch when you connect it to the cable. The update can then begin.
In the balance sheet, a box easy to live, solid and comfortable. However, for a box in single battery, its only real defect will be the weight, but it accommodates when we love.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? all atomizers having a width of 30mm maxi
- Description of the test configuration used: a
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: the aromamizer in 35W and 0.5Ω, in By-Pass mode, in Ni200 at 280 ° C for 0.2Ω and an exotic resistance for the VPC mode
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Aegis 100W is really a beautiful box that allows you to have excellent battery life with an 26650 size battery in a compact size. The design is successful with its original form all curves sensual ideally wedge in the palm of the hand.
The plate allows to pose very large diameter atomizers. The size of the location of the ato also allows, in case of fall of the set-up, a mechanical protection of your atomizer by absorbing a part of the shock.
The design, combined with the proposed materials, makes this mod almost indestructible. A strength that is offset by a significant weight but, for those with difficult manual trades, it will be a real asset in everyday life.
The use is very simple and, for the change of the battery, no tools are necessary.
Geek Vape offers us in the end a fantastic object, sexy, strong, powerful, autonomous and waterproof! What to see his note fly to reach a Top Mod earned for the generosity of the offer and the opportunity to finally have a real box unbreakable!
Finally, the price remains very measured and is valued without problem by the quality of the product.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.