- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Phileas Cloud
- Price of the tested product: 390 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 W (and 85W depending on the mode used)
- Maximum voltage: 4,5
- Minimum value in ohms of the resistor for a start: 0.1Ω in power or 0.05Ω in CT
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
JD Tech has really done very well, the mode of mechanical mods with its logo Manta ray having been eroded, the manufacturer bounces with a luxury electronic box equipped with a superb chipset SX 350 J version 2 from Yihi.
With a medium size and practical ergonomics thanks to very rounded edges, its elegant black lacquered look makes us enjoy a refined product.
This box requires only one 18650 battery for a maximum power of 75W. It operates in three modes: power, temperature control and mechanical mode (with 85W maximum power possible) enabled by a module of choice that has proven itself. This is in my opinion one of the best chipsets currently on the market. The SX 350 J second version, offers not only a very complete display but in addition, its smooth vape is perfectly mastered in continuity, with excellent responsiveness.
With a sophisticated stance, the Stingray box LE is a small wonder made in 300 copies only in the world and numbered, that said, I still found other variants in place of Delrin.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Product Width or Diameter in mms: 45 x 25
- Product Length or Height in mms: 89
- Product weight in grams: 184grs without battery and 229grs with battery
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Delrin
- Form Factor Type: Flange
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Given its price, it seemed important to me to find the right information to justify the price. Yihi is not in lace and its powerful module, all by itself, already has a significant cost. The harmonious curves and the delicate line of this box certainly required a lot of work, because the Stingray was worked with two materials judiciously arranged.
The front, curved and oval along the entire length, with the screen and buttons, and the back of the box with its signature, are stainless steel. The body is in black Delrin lacquered with some other steel keys inlaid in the material. All stainless steel parts are polished and shiny, the Delrin piece is all in one piece and looks like polycarbonate with its lacquered appearance, but the weight confirms that the Delrin fits more and that's good, because the strength of the product is strengthened.
The facade is made up of the screen and two identical rectangular buttons in the direction of the length. The first, near the top-cap, corresponds to the switch, the second, positioned on the bottom, is the setting knob which provides the functions [+] and [-] depending on where you press, in the center a bright screen with information clear and tidy. Finally, an opening under the control button, allows to connect a micro USB cable for recharging the battery and / or firmware updates.
The 510 connection has a steel thread for strength with a spring-loaded, silver-plated copper pin, to ensure maximum conductivity and durability against oxidation.
Under the box, is the passage to introduce the accumulator, which is done by unscrewing a small round hood. The positive pole is inserted first to end up with the negative pole in direct contact against the hood on which two apparent holes serve as vents in case of degassing.
We also distinguish the box number engraved in the steel part.
Opposite to the facade, there is also a thin oval-shaped steel plate over a large part of the length and on which a deep engraving "Stingray" appears royally.
The grip is very easy with its comfortable and well proportioned size which also allows it to place 25mm diameter atomizers without mismatching. The touch is soft and the buttons are almost literally encrusted since they exceed only 1mm when viewed in profile. They are responsive, well positioned and do not move an inch in their home.
Decidedly a beautiful piece that this Stingray box LE, who is truly a star to the point of having designed this same luxury product in stabilized wood ... too!
- Chipset type used: SX 350 J V2
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, fixed overheat protection of atomizer resistors, variable overheat protection of atomizer resistors, temperature control of atomizer resistors, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The functional characteristics concern above all the chipset, necessarily. It was therefore imperative in my opinion, to find the table that presents these specificities because on the site of Yihicigarit is not always available and I know that some people are much more comfortable with this kind of information.
For the less technical it is rather in another style that I will express myself, so everyone finds his account:
- Variable power from 0 to 75 Watts.
- Resistances accepted from 0.15Ω to 1.5Ω in variable power mode and from 0.05Ω to 0.3Ω in temperature control mode.
- The temperature range is 200 ° F to 580 ° F or 100 ° C to 300 ° C.
- The choice between 5 vape modes: Power +, Powerful, Standard, Economy, Soft.
- Ability to save in 5 memory different types of operation.
- The temperature control mode can be applied on Nickel, Titanium and SS304.
- Possibility of manually adjusting the temperature coefficient (TRC config resistance) for the initial resistance.
- Possibility to manually adjust the temperature coefficient or let the chipset use the probe to adjust the ambient temperature by the appropriate calculations (Gravity Sensor System).
- The orientation of the screen can rotate to the right, the left or it can be done automatically by manually switching the box.
- The By-pass function makes it possible to use this Stingray as a mechanical box by inhibiting the electronics. Thus, the capacity of your box can go up to 85W of power, with the security mentioned below.
- Recharging by micro USB port
- The chipset has an anti-dry-brown technology and it can be updated on the site of Yihi.
This box also has other properties like these many securities:
- The inversion of the polarity.
- Protection against short circuits.
- Protections against resistance too low or too high.
- Protection against deep discharges.
- Protection against overheating.
Having no instructions, I hope I have not forgotten anything.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? We make fun of us!
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 0.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The default luxury products is often the accompaniment, and the Stingray is no exception to the rule, even if the box is comfortable, it will be your only compensation because even the chiffonnette is poorly cut with edges all frayed.
The box is cozy with a black velvet interior to protect the beautiful, but you will have nothing more, look for instructions, instructions, this certificate or even operating mode and even less cable to recharge the box . Nothing at all !. (Regarding the absence of instructions, it is not only unfortunate but it does not respect the European legislation for the marketing of objects in contact with an electrical source).
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The use is very simple in mode novice but much more pointed and complex in fashion avanced. In order to access the operations necessary for the settings and as I did not find the information for that, let's go to the hard way, trained on the job:
- 5 clicks (on the switch) to turn on / off the box.
- 3 clicks to block / unblock the setting buttons.
- 4 clicks to access the menu.
Two proposals are made: "AVANCED" or "NOVICE"
With the [+] and [-] setting buttons, you choose and switch to confirm:
1. In the configuration NOVICE Things are simple. By pressing the switch, you scroll through the choices:
- EXIT: on or off (you leave the menu)
- SYSTEM: on or off (you turn off the box)
In this "novice" working mode, you are steaming in the variable power mode and the setting buttons are used to raise or lower the power value. A simple and effective mode which most boxes are provided.
2. In the configuration avanced Is a little more delicate. You confirm this configuration by pressing the switch and several choices will be offered.
This configuration does not allow you to set your power or temperature value in a proper way, but rather to move, using the adjustment knob, from one parameter saved to the other thanks to a memory function, whose The procedure is described below.
- 1 CONFIGURE: 5 possible storage options. Enter one of the 5 by scrolling through the choices with the setting buttons and select with the switch.
- ADJUST: choose the power of vape to record with the buttons [+] and [-] then switcher to validate
- EXIT: to exit the menu with on or off
- BYPASS: the box works like a mechanical mod, validate with on or off then switch.
- SYSTEM: turn off the box with on or off
- LINK: on or off then switch
- DISPLAY: direction of rotation of the screen left, right or auto (changes direction by manually switching the box)
- POWER & JOULE: on the mode POWER
o SENSOR: on or off
- On the mode JOULE for temperature control:
o SENSOR: on or off
o 1 CONFIGURE: 5 choice of memorization possible, enter into one of the 5 by scrolling through the choices with the adjustment buttons and select by the switch
o ADJUST: choose the value of the joules for the vape to record with the [+] and [-] buttons then switch to validate
o ADJUST: adjust with the [+] and the [-] the desired temperature
o TEMPERATURE Unit: choose between display in ° C or ° F
o COIL SELECT: Choose between NI200, Ti01, SS304, SX PURE (choice of CTR setting value), MANUAL TRC (choice of CTR setting value)
Attached is a temperature coefficient table of the resistive wire for 1Ω / mm with 28 gauge (28 AWG is Ø = 0,321mm) and the value of the recommended resistance.
When you exit the menu, in AVANCED mode:
Just press [-] to scroll through your vape style: Standard, eco, soft, powerfull, powerfull +, Sxi-Q (S1 to S5 previously memorized).
When you press the [+], you scroll through the modes that you have put on each M1 memory to M5
When you press [+] and [-], you access the quick setting of the initial resistance and then go to COMPENSATE TEMP.
This is essentially the use, a procedure that will help you better understand the operation of this box and facilitate your application.
The micro USB cable is not provided but you can however update your firmware and configure this way, your Stingray box LE but also to access other features like define your profile for example.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All atomizers
- Description of the test configuration used: RDTA combo (25mm diameter), in sub-ohm double coil assembly, 43W for 0.4Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product:: There is none in particular, this box accepts all atomizers up to 25mm diameter
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Stingray Box LE is a magnificent product, both aesthetically and qualitatively as well as for simple or very advanced uses.
A maximum power of 75W associated with correct (and even very low) resistive values makes it possible to practice a reasonable or more pronounced vape without falling into excess. It adapts to novice vapers as well as more experienced.
In short, this luxury box is especially a book that deserves to be scrutinized and I am delighted to be able to present it in detail, since it is equipped with the latest version of the chipset SX350J Version2 (Update here) which provides great performance with a smooth and continuous vape and a good responsiveness, a module that only costs a bit expensive, however in my opinion, even if this refined product is marketed in limited series, are price corresponds to market prices but it remains far too high.
The packaging is disappointing, without cable, without notice, without certificate, with nothing what, except a badly cut chiffon, the cardboard box lined with velvet, will satisfy you.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.