- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Youvape
- Price of the tested product: 84.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod Type: Electronic Botton Feeder
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
After a series of rather successful atomizers, Steam Crave returns with a new electronic box using the bottom feeding technology: the Squonk Mod.
For neophytes, the Bottom Feeding allows to board a plastic bottle containing liquid and, using a dripper who agrees to be fed by the 510 connection, to have a reserve of juice to fill his dripper for vaper. We talk about bottom-feeder box and fans of this type of vape are called "Squonkers".
So here is a simple battery box, equipped with a home chipset delivering 60w that will allow you to "squonker" you also to the condition of course to have a compatible dripper.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 59
- Product Length or Height in mms: 88
- Product weight in grams: 201
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Brass
- Type of Form Factor: Box flat - type Emech
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? No
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 2.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
If the box is at first well assembled and seems of good quality, there are however some small undesirable defects:
The first is the screen. If he is very tall and legible, it would be a good idea to align him in the body of the box. Even if the operation takes only two minutes to do, it is not up to us, consumers, to realize it, especially that it is necessary to disassemble a plate of protection to reach it.
The second fault concerns the battery cradle. The positive and negative terminals are very badly thought and they will inevitably go up when you remove your battery.
Not very attractive for the longevity of the box.
And the third point is the 510 connector, it reveals the positive wire and its solder on the pine without any protection. Since we are talking about welding, this seems to be done by a student of 3 ° techno as the finish is mediocre.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 10
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the atomizer resistance
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the resistance of the atomizer
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
You understand, the Squonk Mod is an electronic box Bottom feeder. That is to say, it embeds within it a reserve of e-liquid connected to the connector 510 to feed a dripper compatible with this function.
It is equipped with a house chipset that will work in variable power mode but also in temperature control, only compatible with the Ni200
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
For conditioning, nothing to complain about (though ...). The black colored box with muslin-covered foam contains two flexible vials, a USB charging cable and a small, hastily printed English user manual.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, the Squonk remains a simple product. Simply fill your flexible vial with your favorite e-liquid and connect the hose to the connector. We shoot a dripper equipped with a BF pin to take advantage of this function and we are ready to fire.
For the choice of the dripper, choose instead a model typed "flavors" because the box will deliver only 60W at most, at least on paper. In real conditions indeed, the power seems quite overvalued, the chipset seeming to send less power than promised.
We are still entitled to a fairly reliable temperature control mode but only compatible Ni200.
If I dared, I will advise Steam Crave to contact Joyetech to make their next chipset ...
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 4
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A dripper Bottom feeder to exploit the first function of the box, but any other atomizer will work
- Description of the test configuration used: Origen dripper V3 in bottom feeder
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A Bottom feeder dripper to exploit the first function of the box
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.3 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Squonk Mod is the first box bottom feeder "general public". Indeed, box bottom feeder have been in existence for a few years, especially in Italy.
They were not very common in our country until then and only a few informed vapers had one, the fault of a limited production, tariffs often prohibitive and a strong absence of choice. It is therefore with great enthusiasm that I took possession of this box.
Past the exaltation of novelty comes the hour of assessment. And it's not brilliant ...
The Squonk Mod is not a bad box, far from it, but for a price as "serious", I think it must be flawless and have a first-rate electronics. This is unfortunately not the case and I hope that a V2 will come quickly make us forget the wildness of this first opus.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.