- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: oxygen
- Price of the tested product: 84.9 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 300 watts
- Maximum voltage: 12.6V
- Minimum value in ohms of resistance for a start: 0.15Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The Spartans is an electro box that loads three 18650 format batteries, although the size is a little big but remains correct for the capacity it displays: 300W!
The pace is sober, a little too sober even with buttons and a discrete switch, the same color as the box and a display screen that is located on the top-cap.
Although there is no possible update or USB charging, with an output voltage of 12,6V and a current of 40A (max), the Spartans offers power mode, temperature control and the TCR , temperature coefficient to configure the resistance.
Its working power oscillates between 5 to 300W in power with a resistance allowed between 0.15 and 3Ω, as for the resistive in Stainless (SS in TC mode) and 200 to 600 ° F (or 100 to 300 ° C) for the control temperature with a resistance between 0.05 and 1Ω.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Product Width or Diameter in mms: 62 x 25
- Product Length or Height in mms: 104
- Product weight in grams: 379 with rechargeable batteries and 241 without batteries
- Material composing the product: Anodized aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Medium
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is reactive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The Spartans is an anodized aluminum box that is not very heavy without battery, compared to its size. However, once loaded, it knows how to be noticed with a significant weight of 379gr. It offers a comfortable grip with the edges that are rounded even if the little hands do not find their account with a width of 62 cm.
The black coating is smooth and does not mark fingerprints, however the dripping liquid a little fat will be visible.
This box consists of two parts with a hood that is removed for the insertion of the batteries. Its maintenance is done with four small magnets that are not suitable and especially not powerful enough to be sure that the hood will not fall in the long term. This system proves too fragile and is not perfectly flush with the box even if the bottom is, he, perfectly in place, the top of the hood is a bit off.
I enjoyed having a ribbon in the box, on which I inserted my first battery not without difficulty and difficult to access, because to remove it, this ribbon is essential.
Regarding the knobs, they are slightly shaky but work perfectly well. However, their size is ridiculous for a box of this size, just like the switch which too is too small. So inevitably, to handle them, it takes a visual and being melted in the box color it will take some time of adaptation for a total intuitive handling.
The screen is located on the top-cap, its brightness is too low and although the power is listed in bulk, the value of resistance is difficult to read (especially spent 40 years) at a glance.
The 510 connection has a very good brass thread with a pin mounted on a spring firm enough to have a totally flush set-up.
Strangely, for a box that offers a possibility of vape to 300W, I found no apparent event in case of overheating, except inside the box at the location of the first battery, but these are completely useless at this place.
The overall look is rather sober but a little too dreary for my taste, probably the buttons that do not give enough character for a more pleasant visual. For the quality, it remains very average, just know if this chipset owner is effective to tip the balance, whether this product is interesting or not because at this price, for a 300W, we can sometimes have some nice surprises .
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 3
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Average, there is a noticeable difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the resistance of the atomizer
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 2.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The features of this Spartans are interesting to the extent that they are provided with accuracy because it offers us:
• Voltage during use up to 12.6 volts!
• The max output current is 40A
• The working range is between 5 and 300W
• Range of resistive values in Power, from 0.15Ω to 3Ω
• Two modes of use: power and temperature control
• Resistive admitted in temperature control: Nickel 200, Titanium, SS316 and the DIY TC which gives us the possibility to manually adjust the initial resistance for the temperature coefficient of the resistive used (provided of course to know the value, this which is rarely the case)
• The working range in temperature control is between 100 ° C and 300 ° C or 200 ° F and 600 ° F
• Choice of the direction of the display on the screen with also the "auto flip" (intuitive movement) or the extinction of the screen
The protections are perfectly assured:
• Against short circuits
• Against the voltage too low to avoid deep discharges
• Against overheating
• Against resistance temperatures that are too high
• Against polarity reversal
• Button lock
• Against resistances that are too low or too high
• Turn off the screen after 10 seconds
On the other hand you can not update your chipset since no USB port is offered with the Spartans. Cable charging is not possible either.
A feature that I had not yet seen is the support of the stainless steel resistor (SS316) on the CT mode that only accepts values between 0.15 and 3Ω as for the power mode.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
For a product of this range, the packaging is very good, a rigid cardboard box which contains a protective foam for the box, a certificate of authenticity and a user manual sufficiently clear but only in English.
A fitting set.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? Yes
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? Yes
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
From 50w already we have a lot of latency, 100W box heats and beyond this power vape normally without many cuts due to overheating of the chipset, is impossible.
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, I really admit to having bad surprises, here is the tone is given for this Spartans!
The manipulations are really simple and clear, no difficulty on that side. Moreover, the instructions for use explains perfectly the operating modes that I find it unnecessary to copy (or translate).
There are two modes on this box, let's start with the most effective, that of temperature control which is perfectly assured, with excellent autonomy. But let's be clear, this box, like the others, has nothing special since the work ranges are almost the same on this kind of product, including the less powerful.
Where things get tough, it's in variable power mode:
- On a classic double coil 0.5Ω, I mounted my power 33W, the vape is suitable despite a very small latency.
- On a double coil in 0.3Ω, this latency continues to exist but I note a delivered power seeming lower in comparison with my box classic.
But everything deteriorates when I use a resistive more elaborate for which the delay is even greater, with a resistance that does not heat as it should and yet I'm only 65W!
This box being given for 300W, I thought I could have a little fun with a quadricoil of 0.16Ω, it turned out impossible and yet I am mounted only 163W, a little more than half of its capacity and I did not try to go higher because, with this assembly, in comparison with my Presa (75W only), the result between the two products is without appeal. The Spartans does not react immediately, it heats a lot and ends up getting safe. In addition, I'm not sure that the power displayed is the one provided, I have serious doubts but I want to leave him this benefit because I did not use an oscilloscope to verify it.
A Spartans no doubt effective on conventional assemblies double coil that allow a vape correct as long as it remains on reasonable powers below 60W. A temperature control mode that works very well and whose three batteries will allow you to ensure excellent autonomy, but to vaper 300W, I strongly doubt that this box actually provide them, on the one hand and secondly, I still wondering what is the assembly that must be ensured to this product without getting safe, without feeling it heat, especially since no ventilation is provided to dissipate heat or without burning his wick with a dry hit on small resistives?
I am very disappointed, but it is not for lack of having tried many montages. This box being a loan, I preferred not to heat it more.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 3
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? There is no rule
- Description of the test configuration used: several types of atomizers with different resistances.
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: No rules, it's as you want.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 2.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Despite the price that remains in an average range, it is still too expensive for this Spartans is not at all developed.
Both ergonomics, with buttons too small, a screen lacking brightness, a complete lack of ventilation, a hatch that holds and is not flush. Details that accumulate on a heavy product, certainly well designed, but that is far from convincing.
On the operation, the temperature control mode is nice and the box offers a nice autonomy. Alas in power mode, the 300W will be inaccessible for a correct vape regardless of editing. I even doubt that it can send half of this power From 50W, already, we have quite a latency, 100W the box heats and, beyond this power, vape normally without accusing many cuts due to overheating of the chipset, is impossible.
A box that, like the frog of the fable of La Fontaine, wanted to be as big as the ox but will follow the same sinister outcome if you push it into entrenchments or, obviously, it is well unable to go ...
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.