- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: My-Free Cig
- Price of the tested product: 134.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: 8.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.05
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
As my friends Toulouse say: "Bouducon, 200W but what's the point, all that?" ...
Well, it's simple. If, until a few months ago, I always found it crazy and dangerous to propose boxes sending so much power, especially in beginner hands, I admit that I came back on my pre-condition now that the temperature control exists ... In fact, what is the purpose of temperature control?
First to adjust, eh, the temperature so, depending on the liquid you're steaming. So you can, almost independently of the atomizer you use, generate a warm, lukewarm or even cold temperature by choosing by yourself with a single button. Thus, finish the calculations to extension or assemblies to remake. You want warm, you will have hot. You want cold, you will be cold.
Then, the temperature control is used not to exceed the limit temperature that I personally set based on the decomposition of the vegetable glycerin and when acrolein is formed, namely 290 °. It's very simple, I always stay below and it's perfect, I do not take any more risk.
And, finally, the temperature control prevents dry-hits and prevents the capillary from burning. Indeed, with a good atomizer and a temperature control on 285 °, you can chainvaper as long as you want, you will not have any unpleasant surprises, the control watches over your vape and will not send "peaks" of tensions likely to trigger a dry-hit always untimely.
However, for the moment, temperature control only works with two types of non-resistive wire: NI200 and / or Titanium. If the second one embarrasses me because its oxidation would seem questionable at the level of salubrity, the first one delights me! But its use necessarily leads to very weak finite resistances. And so, a big need for power ... So, what was anecdotal a few months ago now becomes more than interesting. A strong power will ensure a faster temperature rise and above all will be likely to reach this temperature!
The Snow Wolf, box thinking in the United States and made in China, is therefore in the category of high-powered boxing with some strengths including first of all its technical sheet:
- Variable power from 5 to 200W.
- Acceptable input voltage from 6.2 to 8.4V.
- Power supply by two 18650 batteries. (Be sure to use suitable batteries that come out at least 25A continuously, identical, paired original batteries)
- Accepts resistances between 0.05 and 2.5Ω.
- Many and effective protections.
- The CT operates between 100 ° and 350 ° C with automatic recognition of the NI200. (owl !)
But its major asset lies in its price must be relativised compared to other boxes of similar power even if it seems high in the absolute.
The Snow Wolf has other qualities but also some defects that we will detail below.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 25.1
- Product Length or Height in mms: 99.5
- Product weight in grams: 323
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The presentation is one of the highlights of the Snow Wolf. Built in brushed aluminum, very well finished, it hosts on both sides two glass plates (watch out for falls) on a black background.
The first of its facades protects a very clear oled screen and displays all the necessary information (power, temperature, battery gauge, resistance, voltage and mention of the word POWER when you operate in variable power mode.
The second facade is held by three powerful magnets and holds perfectly in place. As it is stamped in the frame, it does not walk and ensures a grip not annoying.
The dimensions of the box are quite impressive. This is a brick, very heavy in hand (325gr with both batteries) and if you plan to go unnoticed, keep it at home ...
The "top-cap" hosts the 510 connection that is just flush with the frame and looks good. The brass stud is spring loaded and therefore will not pose any problem of flush-attitude.
The "bottom-cap" is pierced with 27 holes of about 1mm each in case of degassing and reveals the small pin that can remove the battery door. Do not look for a micro-USB port, there is none. On the other hand, go get a cloth because the glass, as you must suspect, is an imprint trap that would make crazy the scientific service of Experts!
The switch and buttons [+] and [-] are made of steel and very pleasant to handle. However, I found much less convincing that the three buttons are grouped up the mod because their similarity in size promotes confusion to the touch.
The quality of manufacture is found once you put your hands in the engine with a clean and clear arrangement and cable insulation that seems well done.
I am happy with the perceived quality. The Snow Wolf is beautiful and seems made to last. Its size and weight, however, will not suit everyone.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the atomizer resistance
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the resistance of the atomizer
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
In the field of intrinsic qualities of this powerful box, there is a large battery of protections, detailed above.
If you use atomizers getting their air flow through the 510 connection, the Snow Wolf will not suit you. Nothing is planned to drain air to the connector.
The proprietary chipset, JX200 Smart Chip, is very consistent in this price range and ensures a tasty vape, whatever the power. But some parameters have to be taken into account:
The recognition of NI200 is automatic, as we have already seen. This implies that every time you put a new atomizer on your mod, it takes about 4 seconds to do a voltage send test to check the wire type and calibrate the resistor. Nothing very serious especially that it does not happen during the vape.
The power sent seems to me more important than that displayed. On the other hand, this power tends to decrease as the remaining capacity in the batteries decreases. The phenomenon is amazing and augurs a somewhat fancy computing algorithm of the chipset. This is more confusing than annoying because you can manually follow this curve and increase or decrease the power in function. But this remains a weak point of the Snow Wolf: the continuous precision of the regulation.
Aside from these little calculation bugs, the box is quite usable and its smooth vape is devoid of asperities, like boost effect at the start of the signal.
The accessibility features are simple and there is no need for a menu when the chipset recognizes the NI200 to switch to temperature control mode:
- 5 clicks: turning the box on or off
- [+] and switch: lock / unlock
- [+] and [-]: Switch between setting temperature or power (in Temperature Control mode).
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging consists of the box, a notice in English and a warranty card.
Nice box very aesthetic and with a pretty sensual rubbery touch, the cardboard supports a pretty wolf stylized tribal way and the brand and the name of the mod.
Everything is simple but tasteful. No need to look for any cord because, (if you had not followed), there is no possibility of charging by micro USB port (or other) on the Snow Wolf.
Failure ? Yes, and a very big one! Your box will be guaranteed a month! And that's all ! In clear contempt of the French law but that, it is not very serious nor rare. But especially with the contempt of the consumer and there, I do not agree.
We have already seen boxes guaranteed 1 year (perfect!), 6 months (that's fine), 4 months (too fair) and even 3 months (shameful). But a month, I admit, this is my first. And I would have done well. Indeed, how to advise in his soul and conscience a product, good if it is, when we know in advance that the vaper who gets it will be delivered to himself 30 days after purchase? At this level, it's no longer a shame but a joke ...
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for a Jean back pocket (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Apart from the few calculation problems noted above, the Snow Wolf behaves very well in current use. Once understood the bugs influencing the power as and the discharge of the batteries, the rendering remains stable despite everything and above all is very nice. Indeed, the tension sent and smoothed, does not deliver damaging boost effect flavors and this, whatever the power.
I appreciated the fact of being able to mount very very low resistances (below 0.1Ω) and that the mod follows without problem. Congratulations again for the automatic calibration of the mode according to the wire used. The power is very high and offers a comfortable operating range.
Between 5 and 150W, the mod will send a smoothed signal. On the other hand, at 150W and beyond, it will send a pulsed signal to reach the desired power without too much shooting on both batteries. He indicates it by the appearance of a [P] on the screen. This is not inconvenient to use because, at this power, it is difficult to realize it in the vape. Let's not forget that the level of power claimed, up to the Snow Wolf, required 3 batteries. It was the case of SMY 260 and others ... It is therefore a lesser evil to reach this level of potatoes with two batteries.
On the other hand, current consumption is quite high and the autonomy of the two batteries can be damaged. But not really more than the LiPo pack of a DNA200.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm mount
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All atomizers if their resistance is between 0.05 and 1.5Ω. The Snow Wolf is not really made for high resistance.
- Description of the test configuration used: V3 Mutation, Vortice, V2 Expromizer, Mega One, Nectar
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A good big dripper between steam and flavor mounted in NI200 285 ° and 200W!
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Perfectible, heavy, imprecise and big, one would think that the Snow Wolf is not an ideal candidate to vape. And yet, it is difficult not to attach to it with regard to its mechanical manufacturing quality, its nervous but unctuous and its mode of temperature control completed and intuitive.
The chipset should be talked about and deserves reprogramming in a future version to go in the direction of greater accuracy in voltage management but it still arises as a reliable and consistent electronics.
If he does not play in the yard of DNA200, he does not have the tariff either. So, we will forgive him a lot and we can easily have a crush if there is no reason.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.