- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vikings Vap / Savourea
- Price of the tested product: 249 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable voltage electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: 8.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.3
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Vikings Vap and his designer Mauricio had already been known through his first productions which, if they had won over a certain audience by their abilities to develop a rich and abundant vape, sometimes suffered from a too light finish. But that was before …
By leaving the strict artisanal operation to associate with the distribution with Savourea / Smookies, Vikings Vap is making a huge leap forward by offering us this high-end PWM box based on a Raptor 20A chipset modified by some devolved micro-capacitors. to provide greater output voltage (in broad outline 😉).
The PWM means, and I'm going to try to make it simple, that the box does not provide a smooth signal but rather a square signal at a regular frequency, a little like the way the Vamo-type electronic mods worked. Of course, the quality is absolutely not the same and we are entitled to think, even if it seems difficult to find patterns, that this frequency is much more important, which greatly influences the rendering.
It is important to understand that the choice of a PWM chipset such as the Raptor is not a choice out of spite but a technical choice, to favor the power and to make sure, even equipped with only two batteries, the box may be able to serve the promised 200W. To do this, the batteries are connected in series and not in parallel, which has the effect of adding voltages and having a possible voltage of 8.4V output. On the other hand, the intensity in Ampère will be that of one of your battery (the intensities accumulating in parallel but not in series, contrary to the tensions). This is why it is strongly recommended to use batteries that can deliver a strong intensity, around 35A, like VTC4 or VTC5 for example. The price of the box, entirely made by hand, is 249 €. This may seem high but the result is up to it.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 26.2
- Product Length or Height in mms: 105.1
- Product weight in grams: 245
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Nordic Mythology
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Plastic Adjustment Knob
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.7 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
This is of course a specific electro box, reserved for an informed public and honed to the law of ohm and all these small technical constraints that also make part of the vape a very geeky microcosm!
For this type of audience, Vikings Vap has put the dishes in large by offering a box of aluminum of great quality, perfectly machined, with a deep engraving with the typical logo of the brand. It breathes the meticulous and passionate work!
The 510 connection is beautifully made of stainless steel and the brass stud is spring loaded to avoid unnecessary handling. Some will probably find that a stud on spring is perhaps not the technical panacea on this type of mod. I find that it remains above all practical and guarantees an aesthetic that even the most brutal vapers will appreciate.
The interior is of the same barrel and the cradle of batteries is quite likely to accommodate your current tubes without risking a muscle tear thanks to its long-travel tabs at the negative connectors. It's clean and definitely done! The mod is rather light, even with two batteries in and it is when taking his 545ème puff that we thank the moderator for not having chosen a denser metal for the bodywork of his mod!
We appreciate the LED indicator that displays the remaining voltage in your two batteries, knowing that it is better not to fall below 6V if you want to keep your batteries a normal life.
The switch might displease, especially to those who are fans of Hexohm. Indeed, we have here a ball of metal quite small very different from the big push button which they appreciate. Personally, I like this switch, very precise and does not ruin the beautiful aesthetics of the box. To modulate the voltage sent, we have a flat plastic potentiometer, not very indicative but that does its job fairly easily by being manipulated with a single finger. All good, therefore, with, in cherry on the cake, a battery access cover very well thought that combines rail guidance and magnetization for exceptional performance.
- Type of chipset used: Alternative
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Operating light indicators
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? Yes
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
A button, a connector, a knob to mount the volts. Point!
And that's good enough for the category in which this mod is competing. We need power here, we have it. There is no need for puff counters, temperature control or time machine. The features are reduced to their simplest expression.
On the other hand, the mod sends well what it promises and it with a perfect constancy. One appreciates the led indicator of the remaining tension to avoid an end of life of the early accusations. I have already said it ? But no, I did not say it! Oh yes ? Oh!
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Let's be clear, there is not much in the packaging. The mod, velvet pouch, warranty card and instructions in French, Spanish and English. That's not bad !
By cons, the box is royal! In hard cardboard and class, it has a very dense foam that provides a decent protection of your box. The top of the cardboard has the logo home, in "chrome" of the most beautiful effect. It's simple but effective. We may regret that the box is not solid gold or inlaid with precious stones but as we have already seen more expensive mods arrive in bubble paper, we will be satisfied with this packaging which, if it does not transcend your purchase, do not dishonor him.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Using a mod of this type is not recommended for beginners.
Here, no precise indicator screen, no spiritual guide, it's sans-filet. So, think of bringing two batteries of the same make, same model, if possible bought at the same time and sending 35A in peak so as to be in phase with the box which will not deprive itself to send all that it at !
The rendering is exceptional. And be it with a brutal dripper mounted in 0.4Ω (do not go below 0.3Ω: manufacturer's recommendation) or even an RTA mounted in 1.4Ω. The vape is fleshy, powerful and serves both flavor and steam. It is even very disturbing to see this toy made to send the wrath of hell can be content with a quiet vape with the same quality of rendering. Beware, the rendering with a low resistance mount and voluntarily high voltage chosen will be worth more steam than a locomotive of the last century in a stroke of suction. The power is there and you will not enjoy the gallery during a cloud-contest. The least we can say is that you will be taken seriously.
But once back home, if you want to take out your cushy RTA and put it on, with a tension a little lower, you will have a rendering of flavors neatly giant. Very often, I get angry about some mods that, however, can do the most, hurt the least. But there, no trap, the Vikings Vap is much more versatile than one could believe!
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT, Mutation X V3, Change
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A brute dripper! Or an accurate RTA! Or whatever you want.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
What a machine, dare I say!
Indeed, the Vikings Vap PWM is an exceptional mod that would tickle the well-established hierarchy of high-end mods. Comparable to the Hexohm, it is at least equivalent and has, in addition to its exemplary finish, a behavior in various situations that allows it to be placed as easily as a steam generator as a distiller of flavors.
Of course, its size is quite impressive but its weight remains contained. Of course, it is expensive but its benefits justify its exclusivity.
My tip number 1: get it for Christmas! The National Assembly voted yesterday the TPD without retaining any amendment, there is unfortunately a high probability that this type of material is becoming scarce after May 2016 when the e-cig market will shrink.
My tip number 2: give it to me for Christmas!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.