- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapoclope
- Price of the tested product: 188.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Voltage and variable power electronics with temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Founded in August by 2009 by Cory Smith and Jos Burnett, Volcano is a company based in Hawaii, under its full name: VOLCANO Fine Electronic Cigarettes®. Manufacturer and reseller of equipment and juice, the team of enthusiasts who compose it has decided to propose the Lavabox under their logo.
A happy initiative for the little world of the vape geek. By partnering with the American manufacturer Evolv, Volcano therefore equips its box of the very famous DNA 200, the latest generation of firmware and allows you to set a series of controls with the software Escribe.
Another positive initiative, the Lavabox incorporates a LiPo battery 900mAh, which you can, when the time comes, replace. The package also includes a charger and a micro USB connection for recharging on mains (via the charger) or directly on PC.
Its price is a little rough it is true, but it is in my opinion justified. It is an import product, of high quality of manufacture, designed to last and provide what the technology offers more interactive and complete in terms of configuration, pre-adjustments and load management.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 28.15
- Product Length or Height in mms: 94.87
- Product weight in grams: 200
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Customizable
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 7
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Its shape is rectangular with beveled corners at 45 °. The grip is ergonomic, despite its 46,2mm width. A super-thick grip with diamond-patterned patterns helps hold hands and protects the coating from tinted aluminum (6061 very resistant type). It is a composite plastic (polypropylene) that gives a feeling of rigid rubber.
The top course is planned to ensure the arrival of atos air that require it. The connection is made of stainless steel, the positive brass pin is adjustable on spring (floating).
The bottom-cap has two six-hole holes for possible battery drain.
The front of the functions groups: at the top, the switch; in the middle, the control screen; underneath, one next to the other, the [+] and [-] buttons and at the bottom, the micro / USB port of the charging module.
The Lavabox is compact, very carefully finished, aesthetically sober (in black), not too heavy: 200g. The buttons are offset (1mm) of the plastic coating (smoked transparent) which protects the electronics and the screen. This is the only place a little landmark for footprints and, no pot, this is where you will put your fingers most often. I had to find a little something not cool, but really it will be all about the box. It seems well assembled, and leaking juice will affect the electronics if they manage to infiltrate at the buttons, recurring thing and common to any box.
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistances of the Atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software, Clear diagnostic messages
- Compatibility: LiPo 11,1V
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 28
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We will dwell on an important functional feature which fortunately you will not often have the opportunity to worry about, I want to talk about the LiPo battery and its replacement.
Battery: LiPo FullyMax FB900HP-3S 11,1 V (DC) replaceable to 3 cells of 900mAh each, - 30C (27A maximum continuous discharge current) and 60C (54A peak discharge on 3 maximum seconds).
The object is replaceable by following the steps as follows: use a simple Phillips screwdriver (Phillips 1 tip) and first remove the four screws that hold the grip.
You will now unscrew the two long screws that secure the cover that you can remove.
You will now need to remove the battery, taking care to keep the side protection foam you will use again. The operation is done with a cutter blade by proceeding to the metal side (if the foam is adhesive on this side), before attempting to remove the battery from its housing.
You can now separate the battery from the box by removing it from the back, and remove the foam.
Two connectors are then visible, a yellow for the positive and negative contacts and a blank for the functions of the DNA. The yellow goes away very easily. For the white, you will have to lean a little female connector (yellow) to capture the male part (white) of the battery, by all the son coming out.
Shoot vertically, it must come, nothing is clipped. You will now proceed upside down with your new battery and reconnect the connectors, relying on the symbol [+] of the yellow (equipped with a keying) and the key of the white. Also replace the foam laterally against the same side on the battery, place the battery and screw the different parts (cover and grip), it's over.
The features of DNA 200 are multiple and perfectly detailed in Papagallo's review, You can consult it by clicking here.. I will give you the specific technicalities and those visible on the screen.
- Variable power from 1 to 200W
- Variable voltage between 0,5 and 9V
- Continuous output current at 50A.
- Output current peak at 55A.
- Temperature control between 93 ° C and 315 ° C.
- Resistances from 0,02Ω
- Crystal Clear HD OLED screen, 2 brightness phases, turns off after 30 seconds
Direct reading on screen
- Power in W
- Battery charge indicator
- Max temperature setting (NI200)
- Resistance value of the atomizer
- "Check Atomizer" : the atomizer is not detected, in short circuit, or the resistance value does not correspond to the tolerated range.
- "Shorted": the atomizer is in short circuit.
- "Weak Battery": the battery needs to be recharged, the box can continue to operate on powers below 50W, the message continues to flash by flashing a few seconds after the puff.
- "TProtected emperature" : when the temperature setting is reached by the pulse, the box will continue to feed the coil but at a lower power.
- "Ohms Too High” : the resistance value is too high for the requested power, the box continues to work but regulates with less power.
- "Ohms Too Low" : the resistance value is too low for the requested power, the box continues to operate but regulates to an appropriate power. These last two messages continue to flash a few seconds after the end of the pulse.
- "Too Hot" : The internal temperature of the electronic components is too high, the internal sensor then cuts the operation until the box returns to a normal operating temperature
A fuse protects the battery, it is located on the PCB near Terminal B +, it is named fuse and should not snap under normal use.
The security is listed in the fixed protocol, I do not return. If you have the courage, you can download the Escribe software edited by Evolv on their website. You will find in English its "manual" of use, as well as the technical documentation of the chipset.
To lock the settings, long press the [+] and [-] buttons simultaneously, the same operation will unlock them next. Turning the box off or on is done by pressing the switch five times in less than seven seconds. When an atomizer is mounted cold, the box calculates the resistance value. To lock the calculations, simultaneously press the switch and the [+] button for two seconds, to unlock perform the same operation.
Six presets profiles are possible and you do not have to repeat them every time. When changing ato you will be asked if it is a new coil (with the value that corresponds). By Yes or No, you will select the right option.
One last precision, it concerns the chipset and the recharging of the battery. Each cell is managed separately, which gives the operation a significant safety and efficiency, so you can note a possible imbalance of the load cell by cell. The reload on PC will be longer than with the charger supplied in the package, because the computer hubs usually go out to 500mA while the hardware provided goes out to 1A. It is desirable to charge the battery always at the same capacity, to preserve its chemistry and keep it for a long time. Between 150 and 250 charge cycles are usually possible with a LiPo.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The package consists of the box with its battery, a charger (you can not do anything outside the US unless you have an AC adapter to make it compatible with European standards ennes), a USB / microUSB cable for PC charging, a manual in English, four short screws for attaching the grip and a warranty card. All this in a cardboard box on two floors.
Proper packaging, but we do not expect to have to get an adapter to use the charger, it may be that the next batch for Europe are better suited, it would be desirable.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, it is comparable to all boxes equipped with this high quality regulation, the DNA 200 has the same properties regardless of the shell. Unsurprisingly, the vape is stable and smoothly, to all the powers tested on the different montages that I've used, the performances are there.
The high definition OLed screen is pleasant to look through the smoked filter of the protection. It over-shines during the puff (that is, when you can not watch it 😉) and the brightness fades after the switch is released. The "stealth" mode allows you, once the settings are made and stored, to turn off the screen during the operation of the box to save the battery. The chipset is a little energy consuming, computational complexity requires, but it is very responsive to the response to the switch. The battery is powerful in autonomy, as in discharge capacity. At 0,22Ω, I had a good day at 70W with puffs of six seconds on average and fifteen good mls steamed, nothing heated except the juice ...
The box is also ergonomic and comfortable to use for a hand of man. I only have to hope that it will hold the shock of manipulation. In any circumstance that I m'appréte to submit to him, because I must say that I will crack, so it is reliable and my hand.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during testing: LiPo 11,1V, 900mAh 35C
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Open bar, with an 510 connection
- Description of the test configuration used: Mirage EVO 0,22ohm â € "Goblin mini 0,67ohm â €" Royal Hunter mini 0,45ohm â € "Origen V3 0,84ohm
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A dripper between 0,1 and 0,8 ohm, or your favorite ato.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Four non-stop days that I use this marvel of technology. Already six different atos have been mounted with sub-ohmic values from 0,2 to 0,8Î ©. I do not find any faults. Without wanting at all costs extreme performance for the vape that I practice every day, I consider this device as a tool allowing as much the measure as the quiet vape. For a hardware tester itâ € ™ sa boon.
The temperature control is currently taken into account by default on the box and on Escribe with the resistive Ni200, but it's a safe bet that Evolv offers in the near future an "upgrade" of its DNA to interact directly on the box and match the Chinese, ahead in this area. You can still download all configurations of all TC compatible resistive wires, available in English on Steam Engine (thanks to Mizmo from Vapor Gate for the info) to set the line A â € "Load CSV on Escribe and memorize them. You will find the settings later in the profiles on the box, depending on the detection it will operate your editing, you apply the desired profile.
To all those who want to afford a beautiful, powerful, scalable and reliable object, I say, go for it!
See you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.