- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 230W
- Maximum voltage: 9V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The Prince has given a real boost to the series of TF after a version 12 a little behind. To accompany his new bestseller, Smok offers us a whole series of boxes and batteries with a look inspired by the style of the Prince (it is particularly the design of the decor of his drip-tip which serves as a graphic basis).
The X-Priv fits perfectly in this principle, it comes to enlarge the lineage of Priv by keeping the technological aspect, the trigger and the big screen. On the other hand, the design evolves to find a style compatible with that of the new TF.
The box is animated by two 18650 and can develop 225W. What to forget almost to tell you about the "star" kit, the TFV12 Prince, which you can find a complete review on our site.
To summarize, it is a hybrid clearomizer that is made for big clouds, either with proprietary resistors "multicoil" made for high power, or with a rebuildable base, available optionally, which will allow you to make your own sauce. A capacity of 8 ml well adapted to the vape in DTL that offers this atomizer.
A kit that seems, as often with this brand, correct but quite poor in novelties. So is the look that does everything?
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 30.4
- Product Length or Height in mm: 88
- Product weight in grams: 205
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Not applicable
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Once is not custom, I will start with the atomizer.
The TFV12 Prince is an atomizer that displays generous measurements: 25mm of diameter, 8ml of capacity and a drip tip 810. In a word, heavy! Surprisingly, Smok succeeded, thanks to a nice work on the design, not to make an unbalance.
From the general point of view, the Prince has a look reminiscent of an "oil lamp". I know, it's a little odd as a comparison but that's what inspires me his tank "bulb" and 28mm diameter that exceeds the line defined by the top-cap and the bottom-cap.
These last two are adorned with friezes of the type "crown" carved in relief. The top-cap is wearing a beautiful drip-tip colored by patterns reminiscent of a reptilian skin. Our Prince is rather nice, his look is original and he is faithful to the line to which he belongs.
The X-priv is the Priv intended to be associated with this Prince. At first glance, the box displays a certain elegance. The black facade "lacquered" welcomes the screen and interface buttons that fit nicely into one of the corners, it is also on this side that we find the USB port.
The overall shape is that of a "pad" quite stretched, all angles are rounded, the body of the box is chromed metal in my case, which contrasts well with the deep black of the screen but which unfortunately does not take bad finger marks.
It is the back of the box that ensures the real "link" graphic with the Prince. The cover of the battery door is held in place by four magnets, it is dressed with a lacquered black coating too.
But black sees its depth interrupted by a drawing that takes the reptilian inspiration patterns of the tank, here is the link of "kinship" of the two components of this pack. The interior of the housing that receives the batteries is very clean, everything is in place.
The trigger that is a bit of the hallmark of this series Priv is there, it occupies almost all of one slices. She looks good and suffers no maladjustment. As often, ergonomics is the strong point of this type of system.
In terms of quality, the box is of a very good quality level, well in line with the price level of this pack.
The set that forms our "little couple" is rather harmonious, the common design is both sober and original in detail. It's a bit special as approach but it's really that, when we look at the complete kit the style is rather consensual but when we look in more detail, this duo reveals a certain originality.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the voltage of vape course, Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the Atomizer, Supports firmware update, Display brightness adjustment, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 26
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The X-Priv is equipped with the same chipset as the Veneno box, which allows it to do everything and reach the 225W.
The screen offers a good definition, it shows the charge level of the batteries, the power or temperature, the duration of the puff in seconds, the resistance value, the voltage, the number of puffs and the preheating level.
Variable power, TC, TCR, preheat, counter and limiter of puff, display of the duration of the puff, customization of the dominant colors of the interface: here is the menu rather complete but ergonomic in order to suit the greatest number.
The variable power mode is compatible with resistors whose value will be between 0.1 and 2.5Ω and TC modes are compatible with Titanium, Ni 200 and SS cables. In these modes, the resistance value should be in the range 0.05 to 2Ω. The scale ranges from 1 to 225W for power and 100 to 315 ° C for temperature.
The preheat system, usual to Smok, offers three levels: soft, normal and hard. No customization but, at the same time, it's simple and speaking for the less experienced.
There is a counter and limiter puffs and finally, the ability to change the color of some items displayed on the screen, a nice little bonus even if not really useful in itself.
The TFV 12 Prince presents itself as a clearomizer well in line with the expectations of vapers who love the vape DTL. It has all the necessary equipment for a good atomizer of its kind.
There is, of course, the filling function from above. A small rectangular button is activated and thus the top of the top-cap pivots on an eccentric axis to reveal the filling hole.
Of course, the airflow is adjustable thanks to a setting ring whose accuracy will not be date ... Indeed, even completely closed, the air passes. Is it voluntary? Thus, even if after a reassembly you forget to open the airholes again, you will not burn your resistance directly, you will have room for maneuver. Come on, let's say that's why ... 😉
The Prince has a tank whose maximum capacity is increased to 8 ml with the use of tank "bulb".
Finally, you will find no less than four different proprietary resistors and a rebuildable double coil base is available as an option.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
This is the traditional Smok presentation, a beautiful black pavé wrapped in a sheath.
On the sheath, the photo of the kit is highlighted on the upper face, the other faces being dedicated to the legal notice, the description of the content and finally to the manufacturer's details.
In the black "pavement", there is, on the upper level, the box which is well protected by compact foam.
The lower stage contains: the TFV12, two resistors (Q4 and T10), a "right" replacement tank (2ml), spare seals, a nice "shielded" USB cord and a record translated into French.
It's not Peru, but it's complete, clean and serious so no worries.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy but requires a workspace
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The kit is compact enough for the category, the set-up is quite portable. In terms of ergonomics, the trigger is practical, comfortable and perfectly adjusted (no "floating").
The interface of the X-Priv is the same as on the Veneno. It is quite easy to handle, you will find some explanations in the manual, it will not take you long to get used to it.
To put it simply, it is lit through the traditional five clicks on the trigger. Then we click three times to enter the menu which is presented on several pages grouping each time several items. We go from one page to another by a short click on the fire button and a long click to move from one item to another. Finally, we use the [+/-] button to move on the different choices offered in each item.
The vape proposed by Smok is, unsurprisingly, very good. The box is reactive thanks to preheat and well regulated. The vape it provides is up to the level of product range.
The Prince does not show himself capricious. The filling is done with great ease especially as, thanks to this top-cap pivoting, there is no risk of dropping it on the ground! Misguided as I am, it is a serious argument. The opening system with this little button is very effective.
The 8ml offer a proper autonomy but you will still need a large bottle of juice because our Prince has a light elbow and engulfs the liquid like an American V8.
The change of resistance is no problem, we dismount the atomizer by unscrewing the top-cap and screw it on the base. A big and usual classic of the vape.
The vape offered by the Prince is very airy, vaporous at will, and pretty tasty for the category.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The kit as it is, for the box, it is very versatile
- Description of the test configuration used: The Kit as it stands
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The kit works well, after the box will be associated with all types of ato
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.2 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The X-Priv Kit arrives in a big family. At Smok, it never happens very long between two outings. Building on the success of the TFV12 Prince, the Chinese brand has decided to create a line of batteries and Boxes to accompany it.
The X-Priv uses the ingredients that characterize the Priv series: side trigger, large screen and double 18650. On the other hand, it relies on the electronics of Veneno which it adopts the screen and especially the interface. This gives us a homogeneous mix that, in my opinion, is practical and effective.
By cons do not look for real novelty, there is none. This is only a question of aesthetics, this box was designed to form a harmonious couple with the Prince and that's it.
As for the Prince, it is currently the best atomizer of the series of TFV with its small push button to open the top-cap, its atypical look, its good restitution of flavors. In short, a top in its kind, recognized by all.
A good product that will please fans of clouds who do not want to take the lead with rebuildable atomizers, especially if some of them change their minds and want to dive into the construction of coils, they will find the RBA base easily.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.