- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 76.90 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200W
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
It never happens very long between two releases of Joyetech products. The Spy Kit is the last born of this big family. It consists of a box 18650 dual spy 200W capable of mounting and a steam oriented clearomizer and with the choice of a tank of 2 or 4,5 ml.
As its name suggests, our box is inspired by the universe of James Bond. But what do we hide this box to deserve such filiation?
I do not know, but what is certain is that to claim such an origin, Joyetech must offer us a kit to the height.
As for the price, it is rather suitable, less than 80 € for a complete kit of this kind, it seems to me to be a good proposal.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28
- Product Length or Height in mm: 83
- Product weight in grams: 220
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decoration style: Universe movie
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top-cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The Spy is a double 18650 battery box that fits in a certain verticality. It takes a form factor not bad in vogue at the moment because it offers a good compactness for this type of product.
The design is both original and sober. The box is, so to speak, divided into two unequal parts. The top is smooth steel but in the version that is available to me the metal is raw color. This part extends on the bottom to frame the rectangular TFT screen of 1,45 ". Just below this beautiful screen, there is a small rectangular plastic button, next door we find another longer. The lower part is, she, blue (always in my case), and covered with streaks irregularly spaced.
On one of the slices, there is the switch button that arises on the junction of the two parts of the body of the box.
Below is the battery compartment hatch which is mounted on a hinge.
The back is quite sparse. There is just, engraved on the raw metal part, the name of the box.
On the top, one finds in centered position, pin 510 which makes it possible to receive atomizers whose diameter will be able to go up to 28 mm.
As for the atomizer present in the pack, the Procore X is a rather agreed product. Wearing a conical mouthpiece, the top-cap is rather thick. It is engraved in the top of the name of the atomizer and in its opposite of a small drop of liquid.
On its flanks, there are grooves a little in the spirit of the box, in less dense.
The Pyrex tank is delimited by two fairly wide black joints. We will have the choice between two configurations: 2ml or 4ml.
To use the 4ml, we add a small additional chimney to the resistance.
The base is, as often, devoted to the arrival of air. We find our familiar airflow ring pierced by two large openings.
The set goes well and the quality is, Joyetech requires, at the height of the price.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short-circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, vape time display of each puff, fixed overheat protection of the atomizer resistors, temperature control of the atomizer resistors, support the update of its firmware, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 28
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Spy Box embeds all the essential functions for a current electronic mod.
A large color screen sits in the center of the facade and allows it to display a lot of information, while remaining legible. This format also makes it possible to display simple and very instinctive menus.
We have an indispensable variable power mode, which allows you to reach the 200W, knowing that the amp limit is at 50. This mod works with a resistor whose value must be between 0,1Ω and 3,5Ω.
Then we find the now-standard temperature control, compatible with titanium, Ni200 and SS316. But there is even better since our secret agent is also equipped with TCR mode. Both operate with resistors between 0.05Ω and 1,5Ω.
There is another mode, the RTC, what ??? But what is this RTC?!? This is actually just a Real Time Clock that lets you vape with a clock in the center of the screen instead of the power.
There is also the preheat function that allows to configure the power delivered on the first two seconds to combat a possible diesel effect on complex coils.
The box of course supports being updated via the micro USB port which also serves as backup charger capable of withstanding a charging current of 2 amps.
Safety has not been forgotten since the box is protected against reverse polarity and short circuits.
We also note the possibility of having a puff counter and the "chrono puff" appears at each shoot.
A box well in its time, but offers nothing new.
As for the Procore X, it is equipped with a filling system from the top quite original, the top plate slides a few millimeters and then it switches to reveal two orifices consequent.
The resistors are in the style of those of a TFV8 Baby. Several models are available in the catalog: the least powerful being made to work from 25W and the one that deposits the most can go beyond 100W.
The large openings of the airflow system can be modulated by the action of the airflow ring. The nice thing about this kit is that it gives us the choice between two tank sizes, the 2ml and the 4,5ml.
A small vapor-oriented clearomizer that has the essential attributes of the moment.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A serious and complete package as often with Joyetech. A thick cardboard box that I will call "usual". On the main face, a picture of the Spy with a bust of a man in a tuxedo holding a box in his hand, no need to explain the reference.
Inside our box are the atomizer, a second tank, an additional chimney, joints and two resistors, one of 0,25Ω known as MTL, and one of 0,4Ω (40 to 80W). There is of course a notice in French, as is customary with this mark.
A complete and serious package in perfect harmony with the tariff positioning.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Let's start with the box. The new arrival from Joyetech is rather compact, it is a little heavy but it is quite transportable. The ergonomics are good, the big fire button falls well under the finger, and the softened edges ensure a good comfort of use.
In terms of orders, the Spy is easy to apprehend. To make simple the start is done by the inevitable five clicks on the button fire, to accompany the start-up the screen displays a kind of diaphragm with the logo Joyetech in the center. Then you enter the setup menus in three clicks on the same command and the setting menu appears.
Once in the menu, we navigate using the bar +/- and validate its choices with the button next to it, note that the same button is used to put the screen in standby to be more discreet and especially save the batteries. It's quite simple we find its marks very quickly, helped by the notice in French which is quite clear.
The change of the batteries is very simple, just slide the door slightly to access the housing.
The autonomy is quite in the norms for a double battery, if you show reasonable on the power, you will manage to hold the day.
The box offers good feeling in terms of vape, the chipset is doing its job, the box is responsive and the vape well regulated.
The Procore X atomizer is also easy to live with. The top filling is very practical with this top-cap that slides slightly before tipping to release a comfortable space to perform the maneuver.
The resistors are effective and they are doing well, both in terms of steam production and reading the flavors. The very classic airflow is easily fixed even though I think most users will open it all the time.
Two small defects all the same, we can not change the resistance without emptying the tank and, as often with this type of vape very cloudy condensation is consistent, which can sometimes suggest that the atomizer leaks at the level of the ring airflow control.
Finally, I will also add a third small point that will probably annoy some: the fact that we can use only the drip-tip provided in the pack.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Whatever you like, the box is versatile.
- Description of the test configuration used: The kit as is with resistance to 0.4Ω at an average power of 50W.
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The kit does the job well
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.4 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Joyetech hunt on Smok lands with this new spy kit.
Under a look both sober and original (especially in this blue version), hides a beast animated by two 18650 batteries able to provide 200W with a limit to 50 amps.
A large, rather playful screen allows you to display clear menus in which you can easily navigate using the control buttons.
It has a choice of full vape modes with a bonus display of time and date.
Assembly and manufacture are of good quality.
In short, it has a lot of assets to please, especially associated with Procore X which is effective in its primary function of making good big clouds. He is very close to a TFV8 baby and is evenly matched.
A very correct kit that is a good competitor Kit Alien TFV8, but that brings nothing more. At this level, it's just a question of look.
Now let's talk about what leaves me most puzzled. This box is very good, and it works well. But let's be clear, it will never fall into the hands of 007. She has a certain character, her drawing is rather nice, but she lacks class.
James Bond, I would rather see him with a SX mini MX Class. This Spy Kit will be content with the pockets of Ethan Hunt, more focused technology and less sensitive to luxury.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.