- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80W
- Maximum voltage: 9V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.06
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Veteran vapers, those who survived silica fiber, mesh, diacetyl, and so on, remember that Smok, then better known as Smoktech, was one of the pioneering brands of vape and had impose significant changes in the technological development of the personal vaporizer and its accessories.
Then, followed by some "soft" or the manufacturer was misled in abortive attempts, false good ideas and follow-up materials that did not deceive anyone. But these years are behind Smok because, since a few products, the innovations come back and the commercial successes follow one another, placing the brand in the race for excellence. We are still waiting for the breakaway but Smok is leading the pack and competitor Joyetech is finally in sight.
It is in this opportune time that Smok serves us a nice kit named Osub which consists of a mod electronic temperature control power of 80W with built-in LiPo battery and a new clearomizer, kind of simplified version of TFV, which responds to the sweet name of Brit Beast, a whole program.
The whole is below the fateful mark of 80 € and thus joins the competition, both in terms of the proposal and the power and the price. A newcomer so who could play well the dog in a game of keel ...
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 25
- Product Length or Height in mm: 75
- Product weight in grams: 203
- Material composing the product: Zinc alloy
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Of a size contained without being mini, the Osub imposes by a particularly successful design, all in subtle curves and where the apparent simplicity of the object hides a most pleasant ergonomics.
Made of zinc alloy, one of the most used materials at the moment for its ability to be molded and therefore take more daring forms (and greatly reduce production shots), the Osub presents well. Existing in red, blue, gray, black and white, the duo of colors, here black and steel is particularly seyant and gives an impression of elegance in the sobriety. We also find this happy simplicity in the simple finish, with a soft touch paint and a brushed surface treatment of the steel color parts.
The painting is crossed by multiple irregularities which betray a less care granted to the pose by machine. Nothing naughty, we must really scrutinize to see the traces but as we are here to say everything, let's say it. Especially that it does not alter in any way the very coherent finish of the set whose adjustment has been the subject of special attention.
An honorable mention may be given to the switch which is extremely pleasant to handle. A distant descendant of Smok's previous wanderings in the field, it consists of a metal blade occupying a whole slice of the box, of which only the top is used to fire. It works very well, it is very responsive and aesthetically irreproachable. Here again, the adjustment has been correctly thought out and the blade does not flinch an inch across its entire width. Finally a flagrant success of this particular type of switch Smok refines for many months already in the sandstone of these various proposals.
The display block, control buttons and micro-USB port for charging and upgrading are on one of the box widths. Thus, collateral damage, which will be perfectly left-handed will be less obvious for the right-handers who will see this part camouflaged by their palm. On the other hand, the ergonomics are well thought out. The control buttons in the form of metal balls are obvious under the fingers and trigger easily. They are also perfectly integrated in their location. The [+] button is closest to the screen, I tell you because no screen printing just define it on the box.
The screen itself is not very big but remains clear and can be contrasted according to your visual needs in the menu. It displays, in variable power mode: the power, the residual charge of the batteries in real time, with the small decrease of gauge when one switches, the tension claimed, the resistance of your atomizer but also the number of puffs and the type of smoothing the signal input according to the modes min, soft, normal, hard and max which will therefore involve a difference in the voltage sent during the first moments of the firing. Nothing like waking a diesel assembly or, conversely, avoid a dry-hit on a hyper-responsive mount.
The charging and upgrading port looks just like everyone else in its class. However, it displays its input limit of 5V, which is normal, and 1A. You will therefore be careful not to exceed this intensity. It would be at best useless and at worst potentially destructive for the chipset because I do not know if it contains a dedicated controller internally.
The bottom-cap has cooling or degassing vents that are always useful. I recall on occasion that LiPo batteries are "soft" batteries, which are therefore less resistant to shocks than "hard" batteries. A box is not made to fall, I grant you, but pay close attention to the behavior of your box if it happens. At the slightest sign of untimely overheating, react by putting it away from you and do not forget to film what will follow and send it on television, they are fond of this type of info at the moment ...
The bottom-cap also has a reset hole that will reset your box with factory data in case of a bug or failure. To do this, you will get a very fine object (syringe, needle, key btr ...) and you will support the bottom of the gap, which will allow you to recover a functional configuration.
The Brit Beast is a very wide clearomizer (24,5mm) and not very high (43mm drip-tip included). Its weight is rather low with 39g at weighing.
Made of stainless steel and pyrex, it has a fairly conventional shape, stocky, very much in the spirit of what is being done right now. It still contains 3.5ml liquid, which is not bad but remains to be relativized in view of the consumption of liquid.
Its drip-top is very wide, flared upwards but has a limited internal diameter since in perfect correspondence with that of the chimney. Pleasant on the palate, it nevertheless makes it possible to make the most of the clearomiser and it is happy because it remains owner, unscrewing the top-cap to give access to the filling.
The bottom-cap hosts a fairly flexible airflow adjustment ring, based on your mod, which for once is not disqualifying since with a simple blow of a nail by an airhole, we manage to manage it at better.
The Brit Beast uses the V8 Baby Q2 resistors from 0.4Ω and remains compatible with the rest of the TFV8 Baby range even though I found the Q2 supplied particularly suitable.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Display of current vape voltage, Display of current vape power , Display of the vape time of each puff, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Adjustment of the display brightness, Diagnostic messages clear
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Osub develops 80W power and therefore offers a variable power mode and temperature control mode confined to three types of resistive: Ni200, titanium and Stainless Steel. But you also have a TCR mode that will allow you to set yourself the heating coefficients of three additional resistive. What else?
The mod has all the protections we are entitled to expect today from a device of this type and no stalemate has been made. So we can safely vault with the Osub.
The features are known but hide small nice additions that we will apply to describe here by touring the implementation of the mod.
To turn on voting box, 5 successively presses on the switch. The brand logo appears, followed by the name of the box and the version number of the chipset and a merry "Welcome" chained before you project on the basic screen. Everything is fast, we do not waste time.
If you press 5 again on the switch, you do not turn off vote mod. You only put it on stand-by. It will not work but it will continue to be powered. Make 5 new supports and disengage the stand-by mode.
By simultaneously pressing the switch and the [+] button, you can adjust the attack power that we have already mentioned, whether the voltage transmitted will undergo a boost during the first moments of vape or the opposite. 5 possibilities here, from min to max, via soft, normal and hard. Obviously, the differences between the five modes are subtle but they nevertheless exist. In general, boxes equipped with this type of adjustment are content with three items, so that each possibility is very sharp compared to others. Here, it is obviously less obvious, but if you go from min to max at once, you will notice that the difference is obvious.
By simultaneously pressing the switch and the [-] button, you will juggle between variable power mode and temperature control. Childlike and very intuitive.
Of course, we can (and we will!) Make things worse by entering the menu itself. For this, we press 3 on the switch quickly. We thus come across a set of sub-menus that we will detail. To switch from one to another, we use the [+] button.
The first of these sub-menus allows you to set the general mode (PV or TC) as well as the attack (min, soft, norm, hard, max). We choose the item with the [+] and [-] buttons and validate with the switch.
The second one allows to find the data of vape recorded as the number of puffs drawn but also to put a ceiling in term of puffs (until 999, I almost fell asleep while holding the button pressed ...) or to make a reset of the number of puffs recorded so far. Some will find it useful without doubt ... Me, I prefer to count them by inserting a line by puff on a blackboard ... 😉
The third sub-menu allows you to manually adjust the resistance of your assembly. At the hundredth of an ohm!?!?!?! I confess that I have remained silent ... I do not really see what it can do but it is a fascinating feature. One finds oneself very small, a little as when one contemplates the immensity of the celestial vault by saying oneself: "and me who thought that my coil made 0.30Ω whereas it makes 0.306Ω and that I can even lower it to 0.305! Ah, there is not much in this universe ... "
The fourth sub-menu is the Smok declination of the TCR. Namely, you will not be able to actually implement new resistive wires but you can adjust with great finesse the three who are residents. I recall them: Ni200 (from 0.00400 to 0.00800), titanium (from 0.00150 to 0.00550) and Stainless Steel (from 0.00050 to 0.00200). But, if you know well the heating coefficients of your resistive, for example the NiFe, you will easily find the corresponding parameter in this infinity of possibilities (0.00320). CQFD ... Same for various stainless steel or different grades of titanium.
The next submenu allows you to turn on the stealth mode of your screen so you will not be spotted when you watch your girl go through her bedroom window to get out of your nose and beard. You will also be able to lower the contrast of your screen between 0 and 100 (100 is the factory default) or program the display shutdown delay at your convenience.
There are two sub-menus that are easy to understand. The first to leave the sub-menus and the other to turn off your box for good.
Phew ... There would be something to lose if, in the end, the ergonomics was not so simple. Of course, there are plenty of things here that are not fundamentally useful, but who can do it the least, is not it? In any case, there is something to have fun and spend a rainy Sunday to customize his box technically and test while your daughter sleeps after his night out!
On a clearo, the features are, by nature, limited.
You will have the opportunity to fine tune the airflow while keeping in mind that the Brit is made to send anyway. The filling is done from the top, after having hidden the airholes and unscrewed the drip-top, giving you access to a very comfortable filling space.
The rest will depend on the resistance you choose. I could test with Brit only those provided original but I kept an excellent impression. Know that you can test, if the heart tells you, all other existing resistance in the family TFV8 Baby and it's a small package. I do not know if the Brit will be able to cash T8 Core in octuple coil for 0.15Ω but I would not be surprised to see a consistent result around 60 / 70W because the Brit air intake is very comfortable.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Exemplary packaging that almost touched the supremacy of Joyetech in this matter if Smok had cracked a French translation of his record. On the other hand, the manual is complete and details you all the possibilities and manipulations.
The black cardboard box thus contains a first floor welcoming the box then, just below, a second welcoming Brit Beast, a spare pyrex, an additional resistance, a complete bag of joints, the guarantee card and the famous note of 24 pages !!!!
A complete packaging, therefore, well related to the price and the features of the kit.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
One thing to remember: inform and verify that the resistance of your atomizer is well integrated by the box. It's easy because it asks you (new coil: yes / no?). Do not skip this question and do this calibration cold.
If you proceeded this way, no bad surprises. Whether in variable power or in temperature control the Osub behaves perfectly well. The 3300mAh battery life is more than sufficient at medium power and still a good vape time to high power.
While steaming between 60W and 70W for a very long time, I did not notice any weakness. No more than by changing the atomizer by juggling between 0.15 and 0.8Ω. The Osub bends to all your whims with discipline and does not hold to any challenge.
Neither is there any untimely heating to report, nor problems of reliability over a week of testing. The motto seems to be: reliable and ready for anything! Which act.
Perfectly paired with the Osub, the Brit is a formidable competitor. Great provider of clouds before the Lord, he makes you pay cash by a danteque liquid consumption, the clearo rises to the height of the best of the category by respecting the flavors of the liquids that you put in it.
I tested it with a macerate of tobacco to try, naughty boy that I am, to undermine the resistance by providing a good dose of deposit on the coils, nothing to do. After 20ml, the thing is still working perfectly and wanting more! Taste and steam, there is more to choose. Here, it's all-inclusive, quite in the vein of the new clearomizers who make the front page at the moment.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Brit Beast delivered with is very good but you can also ask your favorite atomizer without problem
- Description of the test configuration used: The kit as is. Osub + Origen Tank. Osub + Psywar Beast
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: All delusions are possible up to 25mm in diameter.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
And hop, a Top Mod since we have not (yet) Top Kit ... Why so?
Because the final grade is greater than or equal to 4.6.
Because, for a median price, here we have a perfectly balanced kit, which can work as it is when it leaves the box.
Because the quality of finish is very correct.
Because the electronic reliability and responsiveness of the chipset appeal.
Because the clearo is hell and balances the flavors with abundant steam.
Because this kit can perfectly serve as a starter kit to an intermediate vaper who wants to get into the sub-ohm without getting his head.
And finally because the set-up is pretty, small without being ridiculous and comes to walk on the flowerbeds of the competition thus causing, I hope, a new emulation to surpass itself in the next generations of boxs.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.