- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Tech Steam
- Price of the tested product: 74.50 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
It is an assertion that is now obvious, is that the group Joyetech - Eleaf - Wismec is becoming the largest venture material vape. Indeed, the three manufacturers are on all fronts. If Eleaf assures the entry-level with ingenious products, Wismec assures the top with objects more and more technological and a very easy to renew itself quickly. Joyetech occupies the middle of the field with smart products and deals with the electronics of all this beautiful world. And each benefits from the progress of the other two by pooling the good ideas and declining them in their different brands.
The product we are analyzing today is, as usual, an inexpensive product, occupying the entry of the mid-range and offers for this price a box complete with all the possible features and an atomizer, inspired from the now famous Cubis, who had the great idea of becoming a parallelepiped so as to focus on the top of the box for a downright awesome aesthetic. Better, it's difficult.
Even if it would be enough for a new product to replace, at the placement level, an Evic VTC Mini yet still in the game, Joyetech would not be Joyetech if he did not enter in his new kit home novelty inherited from Wismec : the Notch Coil. So it's done and we will of course dwell on it, even as the Theorem Wismec, equipped with the same novelty, comes out these days.
This kit is so tempting on paper for a daily and nomadic vape. Let's see what is happening in practice.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width and length of the product in mm: 22.5 x 35.5
- Product height in mm: 124.5 (76.5 for box only)
- Product weight in grams: 228
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Regarding the box part, we are in the presence of a box close enough to the measurements of an Evic VTC Mini but more sexy in its appearance, borrowed from the Cuboid. The box is beautifully in hand and the grip is perfect. No problem of fingerprints, except on the vertical glass part that hosts the screen and shares the box in two parts.
On the front of the screen, there is a single rectangular button of good size plastic that includes the usual buttons [+] and [-]. Its location is ideal because it allows in the same movement to view all the information on the screen while manipulating the button just below for settings. Its ergonomics is quite intuitive.
On the width, we find the switch, simple and falling perfectly under the fingers, whether the thumb or the index taken revolver. It seems to be made of aluminum like the rest of the box and is really very responsive, does not move in its location and does not rattle. Moreover, one of the main facts that we notice is the total absence of latency between the firing and the release of the steam, fact that one must of course between the perfect adequation between the mechanical parts and the dynamism chipset. In a word, it works with the fire of God and with all possible atomizers.
On the top-cap of the box, there is a 510 connection beautifully made with a spring-mounted brass stud. The use of an atomizer or carto-tank, taking its air through the 510 connection, is made possible by the presence of conventional but well thought out aeration channels since a channel dug out of the top-cap takes care of feed all this beautiful world, even if the atomizer is flush on the connection, which will be the case.
The bottom-cap has nineteen vents necessary for internal cooling and useful in case of degassing. There is also a reset button, accessible with a needle at the bottom of a tiny hole, which is likely to reset the box in case of failure. An additional guarantee of smooth operation.
The last width includes only the micro USB input, useful for charging the mod and for upgrading the firmware. We know that Joyetech ensures a good maintenance and evolution of its equipment, so you will certainly have the opportunity to make this upgrade and you will appreciate its ease.
The coating is pleasant to the eye and touch and seems, as usual at the manufacturer, perfectly solid and well laid.
Regarding the atomizer part, so we have a small brick capable of holding 5ml of your favorite juice without buckling. If the shape can leave you thinking at first, we quickly understand that we have in front of the eyes a Cubis whose form factor has been adapted to work in tandem with the Cuboid mini. And it is clear that the tandem works perfectly, aesthetically speaking! It does not exceed, it flush as the flush of the same name and it invents a new general shape very attractive.
The atomizer has a large pyrex pane, on one side, which gives a very clear view of the liquid remaining inside. Care should be taken not to exceed the max indicator as by dipping the resistance head assembly and top-cap in it, you risk pouring the overflow through the access. Note that on the first batch, the "max" indicator is not present. Nothing too serious, the filling is so easy given the gaping opening that leaves the top-cap once unscrewed, that you can make yourself the trial and error necessary to really know or stop.
At the quality level, we are on the perfect. The ato is heavy in the hand, perfectly machined and finished. It's Joyetech. A slight flaw however, its shape makes it difficult to exploit on another mod. But that's not the goal. Definitely.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Display of the current voltage of vape, Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Regarding the box, it's much easier to list what the box does not do than risk an exhaustive overview of the features. Be aware:
- Variable power between 1 and 80W on resistors between 0.1 and 3.5Ω.
- Temperature control on Ni200, titanium or 316 stainless steel between 100 and 315 ° C, on resistances between 0.05 and 1.5Ω.
- Customizable TCR temperature control for different resistive wires like NiFe, Nichrome and others.
- By-Pass mode for mechanic-like operation.
I give you thanks for the protections that benefit the Cuboid. The only thing that the chipset will not protect you is the angry look of your spouse when she or he will find that you have still cracked for new material! The rest is even more secure than Fort Knox.
The box uses a proprietary battery of 2400mAh and the box seems to have a very good battery life of a few good hours, 50W on the Notch Coil resistance in 0.25Ω, sign of a correct use of energy. You can also increase a little more autonomy by using the stealth mode that disconnects the display of the screen at the slightest push on the switch.
About the ato part, it's the waking dream! Not only will you have the choice between the seven different types of different resistors (BF Ni in 0.2Ω, BF Ti in 0.4Ω, BF SS in 0.5Ω, BF SS in 0.6Ω, BF SS in 1Ω or even BF Clapton in 1.5Ω) but also you can experience the joys of rebuilding using the RBA tray (supplied with the kit).
The operation of ato is very simple. When you unscrew the top-cap, you can not miss it, it is round, located above the ato and has the drip-tip, you remove at the same time the resistance at the end. The entire block comes out of its slot, revealing a gaping hole that serves you for filling. Then, you put the set and you tighten, the resistance makes contact with the bottom of the tank, which loops the electric circuit and you screw very well.
When the top-cap is tight, the ring adjusts the airflow, taken from the top of the atomizer to ensure a seamless seal. It goes from blocked to relatively aerial, we'll talk about it in a quarter of a turn. It's up to you to estimate your own airflow, not by placing it on predisposed airholes but simply feeling. It is very intuitive and it works well, within the limits that we will see later.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is a case study answering the question: "How to put in a cardboard box everything necessary for the vaper to be happy?"
So, in the now traditional Joyetech box, you will find a first floor occupied by the mounted kit, box plus ato. In the basement, it's downright Samaritan! You will find :
- A resistance BF SS in 0.5Ω
- A BF Clapton resistance in 1.5Ω
- A rebuildable RBA resistor
- 1 USB / Micro USB cable
- 1 notice in french for the box (multi-languages)
- 1 multi-language notice for ato (including French)
- A cardboard detailing the different kinds of resistances and their capabilities
- A warranty card
- A bag containing a drip-tip anti-liquid lift, 2 screw BTR and a corresponding key (I specify that all batches are not filled)
And, of course, the famous Notch Coil resistance in 0.25Ω awaits you wisely, already pre-mounted on the atomizer.
I have the presumption to think that for less than 75 €, here is the most complete packaging that I was given to open. The competition is depressed. And without wanting to mention some high-end machines that come in bubble wrap, I can only see that the consumer is not taken for an idiot and that we are in front of the new standard in terms of quality / price.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Regarding the box part, the mod behaves perfectly in all cases.
Mounted with a double-coiled dripper, he just sends out awesome clouds and no power seems to scare him.
With a rTA more cushy, it distills its electricity in a straight and smooth and wins all the votes in terms of the return of flavors. This aspect is often neglected at the level of mods, but it is clear that, at equal atomizer and equal power, not all mods are equal in the overall rendering. The fault often lies in the inaccuracy of a chipset, a boost effect too marked or, on the contrary, too much latency.
Here is the middle ground that allows you to use any type of ato and end up with an optimal vape. Those familiar with the Reuleaux, the Evic VTC Mini, the Presa 75W TC or other Vapor Flask will not be left out.
The autonomy is correct. It will of course vary depending on the performance you ask your box but it gives the impression of being optimized and that no energy is lost on the road.
This box is good in the genetics of the brand. Solidity, reliability, performance. The box style that we really do not regret to bring with you in his travels or work.
Regarding the ato part, it's a pretty slap. Lovers of Cubis, and you are many (one of the biggest sales of this beginning of the year), you will be in known terrain. The rendering is very close and the form does nothing to the case, everything is in this ingenious system of resistance and airflow.
The vape is fleshy, full-bodied. We have taste, thickness and steam. I consider this tandem Cubis / Ato Cuboid Mini a little like the worthy descendants of a Nautilus as a clearomizer. A clearomiser suitable for beginners, depending on the chosen resistance, but also able to enthuse old fighters of the vape with another. Versatile, simple and totally devoid of the slightest leak, it is the clearomizer of the moment.
The RBA plateau works well but did not seem to bring any added value. The editing is not difficult to the extreme but the small size of the workspace, the need to make an angle 90 ° to one of the legs and must put the other perfectly right is not so simple to achieve. In addition, the cotton must be padded enough fine if you want to make enough turns for the capillarity works well. Too many turns will simply make mounting impossible to get into the bottleneck. And all this for a certainly nice result but, in the end, not so different than that obtained by the pre-mounted resistances.
And the Notch Coil ???? Well, yes, it's still one of the great novelties offered by this kit and we will not ignore it.
For those who do not know, the Notch Coil was thought by Wismec and Jaybo. It is a tubular resistance in stainless steel, non-wired. It is like a small tube, pierced with slits through which the liquid accesses the cotton prisoner of the tube.
The theoretical advantages are numerous:
First, the supposed longevity that one is entitled to imagine superior to a normal wire coil. Of course, it will have to be verified in real life over a longer period of time. In any case, to have steamed on for a week, I found no deterioration of taste or weakness in performance.
Then, the heating surface is larger. And we know that it is one of the primary factors in the restoration of flavors but also in the generation of steam. On these points, it's totally successful. The flavors are saturated, the aromas "punt to the mouth" as rarely before and the steam is dense and very white, including with a liquid 50 / 50 ratio PG / VG. The concept brilliantly passes the test of reality. The rendering is exceptional for a pre-assembled resistance and even higher than some rebuildable.
On the other hand, do not expect a sweet and felted vape. The vape is strong, powerful, literally full of mouth and lungs.
The last advantage is the weakness of the resistance: 0.25Ω. Indeed, for once, the ratio of resistance / heating surface is more than interesting.
However, we must relativize a practical thing and there lies the only real downside that I could see in this kit:
Indeed, if the resistance itself seems to face the theoretical power of 70W claimed by the manufacturer, the atomizer Cuboid Mini, it will not follow. Involved lack of aeration which, if it is largely enough to vape up to 45W quietly with this resistance, will not allow sufficient cooling to exceed much this limit. Already, at 50W, the heat becomes troublesome for some liquids, open airflow thoroughly. At 60W, it is untenable, much too hot and I have not tested above because I imagine that the effect is getting worse.
So, if the resistance does more than keep its promises, it is the atomizer who blows the blow by the design of its airflow. Nothing dramatic, however, because 45W, sensations are largely at the rendezvous, whether in terms of flavors and steam. You will not have a cloud-contest so equipped but remember that the Cuboid Mini is a clearomizer and rather versatile. This resets the debate.
I look forward to testing this new form of resistance on the Wismec Theorem should overcome this slight defect through airflow more consequent.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All but it is true that with the ato Cuboid Mini, the look is exceptional!
- Description of the test configuration used: As is and with two other atomizers. 3 e-liquids of different viscosities
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: As it is
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
This kit is undeniably good news. It concerns all vapers, at any level of practice.
Solid, seriously thought and realized, the Mini Cuboid Kit is a pavement in the pond. Introducing the new Notch Coil resistance, he's better than succeeding his bet. Because, even accounting for the slight "lack" of compatibility between this resistance and too low aeration of the atomizer, we arrive at a result that is more than consistent.
Taste, steam, a flawless chipset, a new and devilishly efficient clearomizer and a look to die for. It does not take more to get a Top Mod deserved by a set that, in the extent of its performance and its specificities, allows itself to arrogate a nice price.
This is undoubtedly the secret of elegance.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.