- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 46.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Entry level (from 1 to 40 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Eleaf is embarking on a new line of boxes. After the iSticks, iJust and other Pico families, it's iKuu's turn. For today, it will be the "small" of this new family.
Indeed, the kit that I test contains a box iKuu i80, compact housing with an integrated battery of 3000mAh which can reach 80W.
It is accompanied by Melo, fourth of the name, in its 25mm version. It is the flagship clearomizer of the Chinese firm.
At the very beginning of this review, I remain circumspect. I wonder who this kit is for. Indeed, I do not really see what it brings concrete or what problem it answers. But let's still be curious and study this small group.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 27
- Product Length or Height in mm: 128
- Product weight in grams: 160
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Delrin
- Type of Form Factor: Box mini - IStick type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 2.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
For starters, let's talk about the box. It is quite compact, 79x27x38mm for its dimensions and very light, just 120g weighing, which makes it a flyweight.
Its design is of a modern type, rather in a fun, light, a little "Power Ranger" if I had to be mean. But it is still rather pleasant to look at.
It consists of a metal body (zamak type), which seems to be encased in a two-part plastic case. The facade, which is part of this sheath, is "mobile". Indeed, it serves trigger firing as we have already seen at Wismec with the Predator and other Smoktech, for memory. In its center, the big oled screen is very readable. Just below, the two interface buttons materialized by two small plastic squares fairly well fitted. We finish the ride through the essential micro USB port.
The other part of plastic adopts a curved shape, it is intended to lodge in the palm. The grip is far from unpleasant, however the plastic takes all the fingerprints and that is always harmful for the maniac geeks that we are.
As for the Melo 4, his physique is pretty manly, especially in this version 25 mm. A Pyrex tube, caught between two metal parts, the resistor serving as a vertebral column, a fairly classic configuration after all. An ingenious sliding top-cap reveals a fairly large bean opening for easy filling.
At the base, an air flow control ring acts on the opening of two large slots.
Melo is neither the most beautiful nor the ugliest, it leaves me a sense of peaceful neutrality to which I find nothing objective to oppose.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Display of the current voltage of vape, Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 26
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The iKuu i80 is an electronic box that embeds a home chipset that, following the good principle of the consortium Joyetech / Eleaf / Wismec, offers almost all possibilities.
We therefore find all possible modes of vape: variable power, temperature control and Bypass to emulate the operation of a mechanical mod.
The "wattage" and Bypass modes work with resistors whose value must be between 0.10 and 3,5Ω, which covers a fairly wide scale of operation.
For temperature control, we can always use Ni200, SS316 and titanium. The resistance will have to see its value between 0,05 and 1,5Ω, of the classic sum all.
There is a mode of fine adjustment of the power over a period of time of 2s to awaken a somewhat diesel mounting or, conversely, clamp a little super responsive editing.
The display is well readable and very complete. It contains the battery level, the resistance value, the voltage, the power and the amperage intensity. We can also choose to replace the latter by a puff counter, in number or puff time.
The beautiful board therefore a fixed battery of 3000mAh which is recharged via the micro USB port which can, according to the data of the manufacturer, support a load intensity of 2A. We are also told that it is designed to withstand external temperatures from -5 ° C to 60 ° C.
Let's go to the Melo 4, it is a clearomizer, which uses proprietary resistors EC2 type. For now, they are available in 0.3 and 0.5Ω.
The filling is done from the top and the capacity is 4,5 ml. Of course, there will be an air flow control ring at the base of the atomizer. In short, a simple and fully functional clearo.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
We will not ignite seeing the box of our iKuu i80.
Indeed, it is correct for the price but, frankly, at the visual level, we saw more ... inspired. Indeed, the box has a two-tone green and ocher background with a kind of "water drop" pattern. We find a picture of our box, wearing his atomizer and the main commercial arguments. On the back of the box, the description of the content and the mandatory normative logos.
In the box, sit our kit, two resistors, a USB cable, and the notice that, as usual at Eleaf, is translated into French.
So it's not sexy, it's not original, but it's still at the price.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
On this item we can not blame much for our little Chinese. It is compact and lightweight so you will invite it without any harm during all your outings. This is the kind of box made for everyday life, nomadic and work.
As for the ergonomics of the settings, we can say that if you know other products of the brand, you will not be lost. It works according to the same principles as the electro box of the Chinese consortium Joyetech, Eleaf and Wismec. For others, you will find everything you need to know in the instructions. You will see, we tame quickly.
In terms of vape, the box behaves well. It's not a DNA, a Yihi or even a Dicode, but it's very good.
The recharging is done by the micro USB port. We are told that the box is compatible with 2A charge intensity. So I tested and I think that the port heats a lot. I did not take the risk of leaving iKuu unattended. Load on the port of my PC, no problem on the other hand, the port does not heat up. I do not draw an early conclusion on the long-term acceptance of 2A charging but I still wanted to emphasize this point.
To conclude, this small box is rather simple and effective and it is perfectly cut for a nomadic use.
As for Melo, the EC2 resistors seem to me effective. They produce a good amount of steam and the restitution of the flavors is in the good average of the category. We will appreciate the good autonomy offered by the tank.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A good RTA
- Description of the test configuration used: Melo equipped with 0.3 ohm resistor
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The kit as is working well
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Eleaf is undoubtedly one of the kings of the vape low cost. Its catalog is already well supplied, but that does not prevent the Chinese brand from continuing to expand it.
We discover the box iKuu i80, a box that finally brings little new compared to the existing, whether in the home catalog or those of the competition.
The chipset is a classic at Eleaf, it ultimately brings a new screen and a quick charge function. 80W, TC, Bypass, variable power, it's true that everything is there, but we found all that on most of the latest models of the brand.
The look is pretty cool, we are on a design more fun than Eleaf usually offers. Too bad the plastic chosen for a good part of the body of the box is so little rewarding and is so likely to take your fingerprints as a sworn police officer.
The Melo 4 that accompanies it is a clearomiser sober and little original in its look. Its sliding top-cap system is very practical and the new EC2 resistors perform well.
The kit is cut for everyday life: good autonomy, lightness and compactness. The price is very good, you get what you pay for, but no more.
So do not be fooled by the price, or the fact that it is a kit to throw you on if you start in the vape. This kit as it is intended is for confirmed vapers. It is made to deliver a direct vape to powers greater than 25W.
In summary, although the quality of the product is not in question and the value for money / compactness makes a good self-contained kit to get out of the house, this kit does not bugger me beyond measure. I find in the end little interest compared to what already exists, including the brand Eleaf. The same thing but in a different box and not a single innovation to decide. But, if you must equip yourself and your budget is tight, this kit remains objectively a good choice.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.