- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 179 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 40 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Lost Vape is a Chinese manufacturer who chose, to equip its boxes, Evolv DNA chipset the American manufacturer of electronic components for mods mech or electros. From this association of talents was born the E-square now declined with all the evolutions of the famous DNA, until the last one: the DNA 200W. The one that interests us today is the 40W TC
A box very design, double battery, delivered in a plastic box for 179 €, (it's not nothing!). Will it keep the promises one is entitled to expect from an object of this price?
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 57
- Product Length or Height in mms: 72
- Product weight in grams: 110
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
It is the aesthetics that jumps to the look at the opening of the box. This is a twill carbon fiber sheet finish that gives all its character to the E-square. It is arranged on the surface of the facades, under a protection probably polycarbonate, prone to fingerprints as any glossy surface, facing a dryer that respects itself, ie hands full of juice ... ..
The black lacquered chassis is made of 6061 aluminum of aeronautical quality particularly resistant to shocks and deformations, as well as to possible corrosions. The encased 510 connector is made of stainless steel, its adjustable spring pin is made of gold-plated brass, the pads of the battery contactors are made of copper / phosphor, particularly conductive alloy.
The cover for access / protection of the batteries is interchangeable, it slides through the sides of the facade, and locates by means of spring-mounted balls that hold it upward in their housing ensuring the closed position.
The circular switch 11mm diameter is silent stainless steel and short pressure, a slight sound confirming its operation. It has a depressed position in relation to the frame. The 2 stainless steel buttons used to adjust and select the TC or VW mode are very small, 4mm in diameter, they happily out of frame to make them functional.
The OLED screen, typical DNA, is located on the non-removable side, vertical in the direction of the box length, it is in the extension of the connector 510 slightly forward, close to the switch and buttons located, them, on the side.
The micro USB connection is accompanied by a heat dissipation vent, the charging module accepts an output of 1 Ah.
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Display of current vape voltage, Display of current vape power , Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The functional features of this box, in addition to its regulation part, are at least classic, an adjustable 510 spring connector, a possible recharging via the USB / MicroUSB cable on the retractor and a sliding cover to access the battery compartment. That's all folks!
A first complaint arises when the design of this box, it concerns the cradle of the battery (flat top only). This one is proposed very just in proportions. If it has the advantage of maintaining the batteries, it has the disadvantage when you want to remove them, not being equipped with extraction tape. You will need to use a flat, non-conductive object that is strong enough to print a lever that will dislodge the batteries without breaking. A particular point not vital but regrettable for a box of this price and a good overall quality.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Another rather mediocre point: the packaging cheap way transparent plastic box in 2 parts (box and lid taped together). If the box is well housed in its white foam blister, accompanied by the USB cable winder, we can regret the poor quality of this box and brittle to say the antipodes of the box it preserves somehow. A user manual and adhesives (used to change the look of one of the facades) are also provided.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Difficult because requires several manipulations
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In terms of discussing the use of E-square, this amounts to explaining the various functions of DNA 40 "Gold" of Evolv, go for enumeration.
The protections are already detailed in the protocol, I will not return. Be aware however that peak regulation sends 23A and 16A continuously, which requires you to use high-density batteries with high CDM of at least 25A announced by the manufacturer, always together for use and reloading. Another important point the protection against the reversal of polarities to the insertion of the batteries does not seem effective "electronically" speaking, the box will not work either equipped with a single battery.
Resistances accepted: 0,16 ohm to 2ohms in VW, and 0,1 to 1ohm in Ni or Ti and Temperature Control.
On the screen you will always see the resistance value of your atomizer, the remaining charge level of the battery, the indicated power set, and the voltage during the vape. In TC Mode the temperature display in ° F or ° C takes the place of the voltage indication.
The trends :
lock / unlock mode (on or off): 5 quick presses on the switch. Stealth mode : discreet mode without display. Right / left handed mode. Fashion Power Locked or locked settings. TC mode, you with already understood and finally the display mode change ° F or ° C, do not worry, it does itself the conversion calculation. These modes are obtained by pressing the + and - buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds.
Check Atomizer : resistance too high or too low or short circuit in the ato.
shorted : only short circuit of the ato.
Temperature Protection When the desired temperature is acquired during the vape, the box continues to pulsate without sending the desired power.
Ohms Too High : the resistance is too high for the desired power setting, the box works but does not deliver this value, the message flashes a few seconds after the end of the puff.
Ohms Too Low : the resistance is too low for the desired power setting, the box works but does not deliver this value, the message flashes a few seconds after the end of the puff.
Too Hot : the internal thermal probe has detected a temperature too high that can alter the operation of the chipset, the latter stops its functions (cut), you must let the box cool.
The screen is highlighted during the vape (when you can not watch it so, very useful is not it?) Then in normal brightness, when you do not steam after 10 seconds, without further pressure on the switch. After 30 seconds, the screen turns off.
We went around the messages and functions of this box. It remains to note, that with its 2 series mounted batteries, it can hold a consequent vape a good long time especially as the whole chipset is not very energy consuming, especially in VW mode.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A classic fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm mounting, Rebuildable Genesis type metal mesh mount, Rebuildable Genesis type metal wick mount
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? any type of ato with 510 connection up to 25mm diameter
- Description of the test configuration used: eGo One, Origen V2 Mk2, Origen V3
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: open bar from 1,16 ohm.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.2 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
In short, here is a very beautiful object, not heavy, but of imposing proportions by its ability to ship 2 batteries, which will suit the fighters for special occasions. Its electronic equipment although very powerful and widely tested, is it enough to justify the price? In my opinion not really for users "city" or close to a place where to recharge his batteries.
However, it should be put into perspective because in the case of people frequently faced with situations of displacement and difficult conditions, this box has assets that can make the difference. It is solid and the contacts can not oxidize. Without being perfectly waterproof, it supports prolonged wet conditions and will work for a long time without the need to change or recharge the batteries, these specificities can therefore prevail for those who are concerned about certain situations where vape can be impossible for a long time.
The expense is then for a long-term strategic acquisition with specific and occasional use.
I am waiting for your opinion on this E-square and its DNA 40, I only used it during 3 days and would be interested to discover through your experiences unexpected facets or simply your assessments in "extreme" situations this winter and the ski season, think about it ...
See you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.