- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Smoant
- Price of the product tested: 80 Euros (estimate)
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 218 W
- Maximum voltage: 8.4 V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
A new Smoant arrives in town! And not just any! After a series 218 well supplied and more successful, the Chinese brand returns us unscrupulously at the end of the year with a box eye-catcher that could seduce lovers of big vape and others for their little Christmas.
Using an 2 version of the home-made chipset, the Ant 218, Cylon borrows its war name from the movies as the Cylons were the evil robots that humans battled in Battlestar Galactica, a film and series well-known to SF fans. What to bring a rather spatial look, inspired SX mini G-Class, while giving it some rather interesting features.
218W of power, double battery in 18650, the box works in variable power and in control of temperature. It also offers opportunities for plastic and technical customization that will make goats the most geeks of us.
Not yet marketed in our country, the box should be negotiated around 80 € about the best French sites online. For now, it is only available in China for pre-order. So, you will have to wait a bit or look if you want to get it as soon as it is released.
But do not put the cart before the horse. We know the good reputation of Smoant but we will go around the owner to verify that Cylon is worthy of his heritage.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 32
- Product Length or Height in mm: 90
- Product weight in grams: 286
- Materials composing the product: Zinc alloy, Leather
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Cylon has a great presence due to several parameters that have been carefully thought out.
First, it has an interesting form factor, inspired by the G-class, which places the atomizer in the center of the top-cap. This will allow you to install just about every possible diameter. Its body, schematically, corresponds to a parallelepiped whose edges have been largely rounded. In summary, even if it hosts two 18650 batteries, its physiognomy makes it more compact than one might think and grips positively felt.
Second advantage, the manufacturer has made the choice to include inserts of "leather" on his box. Between us, I confess that this is not authentic leather but the illusion works well and the crocodile finish adds a certain value to the visual and the touch. The rubbery coating provides good grip and blends perfectly with the zinc alloy that makes up the bulk of the bodywork. The materials thus provide a beautiful impression of solidity that corroborates precise adjustments.
If the fake leather parts cover the narrow sides of the box, the front facade is adorned with a superb 1.3 'diagonal screen, which corresponds roughly to 35mm. It is comfortable for the vision, ideally placed and the Oled color screen ensures a good readability of the information. We will come back later on this important part of the mod since it can be personalized.
Below, we find the two interface buttons [+] and [-], triangular shape, reminiscent of a robot dehumanized look, that's good. These two eyes are chromed metal and, if we can always blame the hardness of the pressure to exercise, I find for my part more satisfactory than too soft buttons that take pleasure in playing with my settings without me request…
Precisely placed at the foot of the facade, the micro-USB jack, allowing recharging of the batteries or the firmware upgrade, draws a kind of mouth that ends up suggesting the beautiful cybernetic aggressiveness of the whole. Add to that taut lines, bright screws left exposed and the illusion is total!
On the back of the box, overlooking the silkscreened mention of the name of the box, is a bluish eyepiece depicting a six-branch swastika very Warhammer-like, which provides undeniable visual appeal.
On one of the slices, there is a switch, it was necessary to one, rectangular black plastic. Easy to find under the finger thanks to a specific texture, it is especially responsive, its race is very short and a cheerful and audible click reassures us about its behavior.
The top-cap welcomes in its center a connection plate 510 of good size (25mm diameter). Very slightly prominent compared to the surface, it will therefore allow the use of atomizers up to 28mm diameter without risk of scratching the paint.
The bottom-cap serves as a cover to access the cradle of the batteries. Handling with great ease, we may regret that Smoant has opted for plastic for this piece. But it will be a rather short regret, the hood being more utilitarian than anything else.
Placed on a flat surface, the mod holds well in place and even seems quite difficult to fall, the fault being on a weight probably not exaggerated but still present. No vents in sight or cooling ports of the chipset or I need to change glasses. But, with use, including high power, Cylon does not seem to heat up.
In the balance of this chapter, we have an almost optimal product, which fits well in the tradition of the Chinese High-end and which does not lack a certain capital sympathy.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Adjustment of the display brightness, Clear diagnostic messages, Indicators of light operation
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 28
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Its features, the Cylon owes most of all to its home chipset, the 218 Ant, here in its version 2. I already had the opportunity to say the good that I thought of this engine and I find myself on familiar ground.
The box will operate in two modes: variable power and temperature control. No bypass function here, besides very useless, I am one of those who think that if you want to use a mechanical mode, it is better to do it with objects made for ... By cons, the two usable modes have been made largely customizable so that the most geeks can have fun and tailor a vape.
In variable power, the usable resistance scale oscillates between 0.1 and 5Ω. The power is incremented or decremented traditionally by tenth of a watt with buttons [+] and [-]. You can also opt for three constant curves entitled Min, Norm and Max which will influence the departure of the output voltage curve in order to boost a slightly diesel mounting (Max) or, conversely, to moderate the heat of an assembly hyper reactive to avoid a dry-hit (Min). The constant Norm merely delivers the signal normally. You will also be able to sculpt your own signal by choosing the values in watt for every second over ten seconds. Most vapers will find this a little superfluous but I know who use this type of possibility galore.
In temperature control, you can use resistors between 0.05 and 2Ω on the three resistives implemented: nickel, titanium and steel. The temperature curve will oscillate between 100 and 300 ° C. But you will also be able to implement any type of resistive using the TCR mode provided and manually enter the heating coefficient. For the record, the manufacturer reminds us of some coefficients in the manual. But, icing on the cake for some or little useful gadget for others, you can also create your own temperature curve by adjusting the temperature on ten levels of one second and thus shape your temperature curve with small onions.
In addition to its features for personal choice of vape, you also have the ability to greatly influence the customization of the screen. First, you can choose between an analog type dial, resembling a rev counter that is very seyant. A needle rises in the towers depending on the voltage conveyed to the atomizer. Of course you will find the traditional information such as the charge of the batteries, the value of resistance and the current power or temperature.
But you can also opt for a more digital dashboard that can then display a wallpaper that you can change (9 choice). You will find the same information but in a more "traditional" way that is very similar to the presentation, again, of the SX Mini G-Class.
In the personal settings category, you can affect the contrast of the screen, display a clock and set the time as a screen saver, choose the time to activate this screen saver, in short, a large enough palette of small changes to bring in order to tame the object and adjust it to your liking. And if you go astray, you still have the option to reset the Cylon to the factory settings.
I will pass over in silence the psalm on the protections of which the box is equipped, there is everything necessary to vaume in safety.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A white cardboard box proudly displays the famous tachometer found on the screen of the box.
Inside, there is Cylon and a USB / Micro USB cable and a complete manual but alas, in English and Chinese only. I will not do you again the verse of the guy outraged by the heavy absence of his native language because I do it every time but the heart is there, you can imagine ...
Clearly, a packaging at the height, no frills.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
First point, the manufacturer tells us a latency of 0.015s between pressing the switch and sending the signal to the coil. I have a little trouble counting the hundredths of a second, the age probably but I can assure that the result is there. The heating of the coil is almost immediate and we find on this box electro the punch mods mechanic or mechanic regulated. In other words, it is moving and we are far from the perceived latency of some competitors.
Second point, the constructor assures us of an efficiency of 95%, one understands there the current distribution to the coil, one sends 100% and it arrives 95%. This is a very good figure, above average although we could cross better sometimes. This fact gives rise to a very generous, powerful, perfectly smooth vape which gives a great compactness to the aromas. To make a comparison, a DNA power and equivalent settings will give a better accuracy of flavors but the vape will be less creamy, more piqued. In contrast, the Smoant chipset delivers greater generosity, increased compactness and a little less definition.
Third point, autonomy remains in the category average. Largely sufficient given the use of dual-battery and power capabilities of the machine, it is however not exceptional, the fault probably incumbent on the screen, more energy-consuming than a static monochrome screen. But rest assured, there is enough to vape anyway ...
Last, the reliability is exemplary, at least over a week of testing. At a low power on a MTL ato or at full throttle on a barbarian fixture, the box does its job remarkably well and offers a constant and rich vape. In addition, cosmetics do not seem to want to move. No micro-scratches, no "poc" despite some small unintentional falls, the finish of the Cylon seems made to last.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All within the 28mm diameter limit to maintain a consistent aesthetic.
- Description of the test configuration used: Vapor Giant Mini V3, Coil Master Marvn, Pro-MS Saturn
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Yours.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
What a beautiful product!
Original by its screen inspired by the automotive world, powerful by its chipset that gets better with time and versioning, Cylon hits hard, very strong. Besides the aesthetics that will please or displease, I notice the superb handling and comfort of use.
Full of possibilities of customization enamel this product and, even if we do not vape a wallpaper, let us recognize that it is nice to have in hand a box very personal finally.
From all the series of 218 that I had the pleasure to test, it is the most successful and poses formidable candidate for a potential podium of the year 2017. Borrowing shamelessly the best of its competitors, it is different yet by a juvenile morgue that is a pleasure to see, a physical assumed and a much lower price. Because, make no mistake, this box competes in the big leagues.
A Top Mod to salute the performance.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.