- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 58.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
We know well Wotofo, relatively recent Chinese brand, by its bestsellers in drippers like Freakshow, Sapor or other Troll and especially recently with RTAs like the Conqueror or the Serpent. The manufacturer has invested the entry-level atomizers by offering reliable steam engines and very well finished.
We know less Wotofo as box manufacturer, which he is also yet for some time. This is an opportunity to push the nail today with Chieftain 80W arrives with good intentions and some interesting innovations on paper.
Positioned at less than 59 €, the Chieftain taps directly into the niche of mid-range boxs, location already well occupied by essential references such as the Evic Vtwo Mini and other products very well made and having a rib of love no negligible in vapers.
Offering 80W, a variable power mode, a complete mode of temperature control and the possibility of using an 26650 battery or an 18650 battery with adapter supplied, the Chieftain is still not impressed by the competition and intends to reiterate here also the Stunningly successful holdup on the world of atomizers.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28.5
- Product Length or Height in mm: 92.5
- Product weight in grams: 197
- Material composing the product: Aluminum alloy
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
However, it is not aesthetic side that the Chieftain will stand out in the first place. Indeed, the manufacturer has had to consider that the classic was timeless and the box does not have any special attire to seduce us. Without being ugly so far, it seems quite common, not to say bland and is content with a form quite conventional that does not stand out. This may please some, I do not denigrate but the initial seduction suffers a little. Let's be frank, we are all attracted by pretty little bodyshells.
On the other hand, a good effort was provided on the quality of construction which imposes for the segment. Perfect machining and molding, fitting and finishing of very good level including on the interior parts, Wotofo played the great game to provide a box whose perceived quality is positioned largely at the level of the competitors. This also applies to painting that seems good even if this particular point is often true over time. The box is also available in six colors: gray, blue, black, red, green and red orange.
The grip is natural even if the dimensions are far from negligible, especially the height. The width, by cons, is contained if we consider the possibility of using a battery in 26650: 28.5mm is little for this exercise and it will also serve to sit many atomizers on the box.
The weight is quite high for the category, 197gr accu 18650 included to compare with the 163gr of the Evic in the same power configuration. But it's not really embarrassing, we are still far enough from the heavyweights in this area.
The buttons are aluminum and are impeccably enshrined in their respective homes. Working perfectly, they require a strong enough pressure to be activated, which may inconvenience those who prefer very direct and flexible switches. A defect, objectively, if one considers that the force to be printed for the firing is much higher than that which one must print on a Hexohm for example. It will be consoled by noting that the buttons are judiciously placed in cavities of the frame, which protects from an involuntary support. Moreover, even placed on a table side control panel, no unwanted support is triggered.
In the category of defects, note also the difficulty to put the battery cover, which holds by two magnets, but which needs to be positioned in front to reach his home. Any attempt to let magnetism act on its own will inevitably result in a crooked hood.
The 510 connection, whose pin is spring loaded, is effective even if it does not have air intakes to feed your ato from below. Considering the constant impoverishment of the offer on this type of material, it does not seem to me anymore to be a real stumbling block.
No visible vent but the marketing explains that there is a hidden to avoid explosions. I confirm…. that he is very well hidden. Besides, I run a contest: "Find the vent!". To win: my eternal gratitude.
The screen is clear and very legible. It is flush with the control panel and is therefore directly exposed in the event of a fall. But, as all vapers know, a box is not made to fall. Point. 😉
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650, 26650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Let's first talk about what's angry, then we will have the opportunity to relax with the good points of the Chieftain.
There is a micro-USB port at the bottom of the control panel. It is not used to recharge the batteries. Well, this is a shame, especially if you have to travel, although it is true that an external charger ensures increased durability of the batteries. But finally, it helps sometimes ... So, we can deduce that the micro-USB port is then used to update the firmware. Bingo, that's it! As soon as a USB cable (supplied) points the tip of its nose, the mod is put in attention by displaying UPDATE and the url of the chipset manufacturer or you must connect to do this: www.reekbox.com.
Perfect. So I connect to a site as deserted as a movie theater during a retrospective on Max Pecas and I download the application needed to update the firmware and even change the logo home. Awesome !
I'll give you the details. It is enough to understand that: of one, there is not (still?) Of update and that of two, the application does not recognize the box. This drastically limits the interest of this possibility and consequently the interest of the presence of a micro-USB socket ... Unless it is the famous "hidden" vent?
For the rest, the Chiefain arrives with beautiful ambitions and a slew of different modes:
- POWER mode: Traditional variable power, ranging from 5 to 80W on a resistance scale between 0.09 and 3Ω.
- The OUT DIY mode: which influences the signal rise curve by setting a different power per slot of half a second. Useful to boost a clapton or to calm dry-hits on an ordinary resistive.
- Mode C: a temperature control in degrees Celsius, between 100 and 300 ° on a scale from 0.03 to 1Ω which gives access to the choice of resistive: Ni200, titanium or SS316 and even a TCR mode allowing you to implement your own vote resistive.
- Mode F: the same but in Fahrenheit.
- Joule mode: an automatic mode that determines the power and temperature according to different parameters: your way of vaping and the value of resistance ...
In other words, we have a fairly wide choice. Similarly, the ergonomics are well thought out and the Reekbox V1.2 chipset Sundeu may be small in the near future. A non-exhaustive overview of the manipulations:
- Pressing [+] and [-] simultaneously: locks / unlocks the [+] and [-] buttons.
- Press [+] and switch: enter the mode selection menu. Once arrived, the various modes are passed through the [+] and [-] buttons and validated by the switch. Then, we automatically switch to the submenu corresponding to the mode. Here, it is always so simple, one increments / decrements the values by [+] and [-] and one validates by the switch.
- Press [-] and switch: invert the direction of the screen.
Note that all conventional protections have been implemented: reverse polarity of the batteries and all the toutim but also, and it's quite new and inflated, a detection of dry-hits that makes the power drops from time to time or the system considers that the coil is not enough fed by the liquid. Surprising principle that I can not explain but that works in practice. I used an atomizer whose high limit power of the assembly is about 38W, I tested it at 60W and I did not have a dry-hit !!!? !! Although this principle has repercussions that we will see below, this is something interesting that should encourage manufacturers to floor on it. Be careful however, this does not avoid a taste of hot from a certain amplitude of power but not dry-hit.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The conditioning is amazing in that it is very big for a box of this size.
The oversized hardboard accommodates the box, a USB cable of flat section for the moment unusable and a rather summary English manual on which I would have liked to find explanations on the update of the firmware rather than an entire page on the Precautions and warranty that could have taken five lines at the bottom of the page rather than investing half of the record ...
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The hell is paved, it seems, good intentions ... Without going so far, the Chieftain, wishing to offer many features and / or unpublished, sometimes blows hot and sometimes cold in use.
The temperature control mode behaves beautifully. Without going to compete with Yihie or even Joyetech in the field, the mode is quite efficient and allows fans to vaper safe without any disappointment.
The Joule automatic mode is well thought out. The temperature sent will be a little hot for some liquids but the automation is at this price and works properly, without any particular criticism. We can always find this mode a little gadget or not very geek. It's not false. But it has the merit of existing and functioning.
Out Diy mode works too. Although it is a bit tedious to program, but no more than other boxes equipped with the same device, it can best manage the rise of the signal. Too bad that only the first three seconds are configurable because then the programming loop and it becomes less interesting.
The variable power mode is, alas, the poor relation of the functional configuration. And when we know that this is currently the most used mode, it's really a shame. Exaggerated latency between the firing and the heating of the coil, impression of a power less than that required (in effective comparison with other mods), impression of instability of the signal on long puffs ... the defects are quite obvious and the rendering of vape in this mode suffers.
It seems to me that the protection against dry-hits, even if it does not call into question the concept, is the cause of all these evils and that a better adjustment would be necessary in the future. Or, at least, the possibility for the user to disengage to enjoy an unvulare vape in variable power mode. For this, it would be good if the manufacturer communicates further on this technology and especially on the possibilities of upgrading the chipset that will, in my opinion, necessary, even to recast the application made for whom, for the moment, do not not even play Pong.
It is often said that "who can do the most can do the least" and sometimes it is simply not possible.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer of diameter less than or equal to 25mm
- Description of the test configuration used: Taïgun GT3, Vapor Giant Mini V3, Psywar Beast
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A Serpent from Wotofo
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The final balance is therefore rather mixed.
If we can only welcome Wotofo's risk-taking by proposing a material, in an already crowded segment, distinguished by promising innovations, it is unfortunately necessary to temper this enthusiasm with the simple observation that reality is not at the level of ambitions displayed.
All the concepts developed by the manufacturer in the Chieftain will certainly be technologies that will evolve the vape in the right direction, I have no doubt about it. But they are not yet fully accomplished and will require additional developments to convince beyond the theory, rather enticing.
The temperature control mode is complete and works well. The Joule mode is interesting and deserves to be perfected a little to be quite credible. Out Diy module, more conventional today, is not developed because it does not spread over the length of the cut-off 12 seconds and loops therefore, which decreases the interest. The principle of anti-dry-hits protection is extremely promising in the direction of a healthy vape and one can only hope that the smelter gets his way in a future release.
But, there is the ultimate test of daily use, which is the only one that can convince the user and the vape rendering in variable power is too upset by the various protections to convince. However, this does not obviate the chances of Wotofo and Sundeu to surprise us with a different update or a completely successful version that could change the rules of the game if it is born.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.