- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Smoant
- Price of the tested product: about 79 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 218W
- Maximum voltage: 8.4V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Smoant, a young Chinese brand full of energy, continues to water us with new mods. Indeed, after a Charon TC 218 recently reviewed in these pages, here is the Charon TS 218 which is the tip of his nose and what a nose!
Indeed, if the previous box, moreover irreproachable, already used the house chipset Ant 218 for a very powerful rendering, the little news adds a fundamental difference since all the interface buttons are gone to give way to a touch screen of good size that allows access to all the functions of the box.
I am not a fan, personally, interfaces of this type, too scalded probably by the wanderings in the field that we were able to know about the Joyetech Ocular series or a simple handling boxes was enough to do move the settings. We will see that here, everything has been thought to avoid this pitfall.
The Charon TS 218 comes as a box compact enough for a double battery, a sober appearance that evokes almost the world of mobile phone and will be available on our territory around 79 € about if wholesalers jump on the occasion . If it is true that the previous similar achievements have met a success say measured, it would be a shame to miss this one, by simple technical means, has the urge to put the touch on the hot seat.
218W, variable power and temperature control are on the menu. A menu that touches more than it seeks and that makes you want to push the test as far as possible.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 29.3
- Product Length or Height in mm: 85
- Product weight in grams: 315
- Material composing the product: Zinc alloy
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of UI Buttons: Touch
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, we are at the antipodes of the previous TS 218 which took into account the tried and tested lines of the Therion of Lost Vape to assert a sober class but already glimpsed. Here, we have a compact model, very square and stripped, not necessarily innovative but which takes into account the clean forms, mixtures of tensions and comfort curves to ensure a quality grip. In black, the object is perfectly anonymous and will seduce those who like to keep their secret garden of vapoteur without displaying singular and showy physiognomies. For the boldest, colorful versions are on the program as shown in the photo below.
Built around a zinc alloy frame, the Smoant reveals two plexi sides that give it a brilliant monolithic appearance that would not have denied Kubrick for his film 2001, The Odyssey of Space. Good for aesthetics and especially the grip of the touch screen occupying a whole side of the box, too bad for fingerprints that are sure to sprinkle the surface. But let's be beautiful players, we will not blame this mod that we never blame our smartphone ...
The switch is traditionally placed on the edge of the mod and has a nice support surface, striated to better direct the finger because it does not stand out of the box and remains rather discreet. The support is comfortable and the button responds to the slightest solicitation with a serious but reassuring click. The race is very short and the comfort impeccable. It is surmounted by a small rectangular button, corner stone of the ergonomics reflected of the box since this simple button will allow us to block the screen and thus, to avoid that the tactile settings do not move under the action of the Palm of the hand. It's so simple that you have to think about it!
The top-cap is simple and has a rather small platinum steel, surrounded by zinc alloy. This board will not feed your atomisers air connection, being devoid of channels to do this. The positive pin, made of brass, is mounted on a spring whose median tension will allow safe flush mounting. We can, without unbalancing the general design, mount atomizers up to 25mm diameter. It is possible to mount larger diameters but the chamfered shape of the summit of the top-cap will make these fixtures more aesthetically random.
The bottom-cap is occupied by six vents of beautiful dimensions whose position will allow a correct cooling of the chipset.
The side panel opposite the touch screen holds by powerful magnets and is very well guided. He does not flinch in the hand and it will even use the small notch located in its lower part to unclip it. He discovers a rather traditional battery cradle and makes it possible to check that the interior finish has not been sloppy. Everything is clean and well assembled, Smoant offers us a successful work on the finish, both outside and inside. A cosmetic rendering worthy of the upper category. Two of the four contact connectors for the batteries are spring-loaded, making it easier to install and extract the energy tubes with the help of the tape.
As expected, the biggest surprise comes from the side stack since we discover the famous touch screen, a diagonal 62mm all the same. The drawings and characters are monochrome, in a slightly bluish gray which contrasts well with the black background. Reading is very easy and will correspond to all types of views. The touch functionality is very soft, ergonomic and does not require to press like a deaf on the smooth surface. I personally appreciate the unicolor bias that remains quite classy and especially avoids the gaudy colors that we have seen until then. In full sun, there is inevitably a loss of visibility because of the reflections but all remains nevertheless usable in these "extreme" circumstances.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Adjustment of the display brightness, Diagnostic messages clear
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The 218 TS traditionally operates on two well-known modes: variable power and temperature control, but it is the only traditional thing that we will find here.
In variable power, one can go from 1W to 218W on a scale of resistances between 0.1 and 3Ω. The incrementation is done by tenth of a watt. In temperature control, the scale of resistances oscillates between 0.05 and 3Ω and one can go from 100 ° to 300 ° C.
On the other hand, in both modes, one finds interesting evolutions that really allow, without the help of an external software, to carve its own vape to the chalk and to obtain the desired rendering.
For example, in variable power mode, we have several options to bend the signal curve to customize each puff. To do this, we have four presets already implemented: Min, Standard, Hard et max which allows to give a boost at the beginning of the vape to wake up a lazy editing or, conversely, to calm the game and send energy gradually on a responsive editing to avoid a dry-hit. A fifth module also exists, the VW Curve which allows you to program your own response curve to go even further in the power settings. By choosing it, it leads to a specific screen that allows, very intuitively, to move the sliders second by second to program the entire duration of the puff. The negative side is that the big fingers will have difficulties to position themselves and that the settings are not more accurate but, taking the time, we can draw a curve that looks like something.
In temperature control mode, we find three native resistive wires: Nickel, Titanium et Steel. It is just a pity that more accurate data is not communicated about the specific type of each resistive. So, is it SS316, 316L, 304? Hard to know ... But the problem is easily solved since we have a module TCR simple to use or you can enter the perfect heating coefficient for your particular resistive. Which will avoid, for the blow, disappointments. Moreover, in the same way as in the variable power mode, we find a TC Curve very well thought out that will allow us to program a different temperature per second of vape. A smart solution to customize your rendering in CT.
A last menu allows you to "touch" the general settings of the box and affect the contrast of the screen, the precise time it remains on and eventually return to the original presets. a lifesaver in short, in case you are shipwrecked in the ocean of the possibilities offered by the box. 😉
The main menu allows you to adjust power or temperature, display a gauge for each battery, your resistance, the voltage and intensity of the current vape. A small meter offers you as a bonus your puff time, basically useless so essential ....
The 218 TS can send 50A output so pay the greatest attention to match it with two paired batteries, new and offering a discharge current sufficient. VTC, 25R, Mojo and others will do the trick ... Avoid again the names of batteries that end up "fire" if you do not want your box ends the same way.
We still have to mention the famous rectangular button that overlooks the switch and has two functions. A short press turns off the screen. A longer press will bring up a padlock on the screen, meaning that the touch feature is locked. In this case, you can move your fingers on the screen and you will not change anything, this is the perfect mode to vape without worrying about possible settings that move under the influence of the palm of hand vote. To unlock, simply proceed to the same manipulations.
Evaluation of the packaging
- tPresence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A rigid cardboard box stamped with Smoant's weapons offers us the box and a USB / Micro USB cable. The usual paperwork is part of it, certificate of compliance and all those kinds of things ....
The instructions are clear, detailed and up to the situation ... as long as one speaks English or Chinese. But do not complain, we have experienced much worse! The abundance of illustrations will help you understand how the 218 TS works.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
I had been favorably impressed by the TC 218 for its rendering in vape. As the TS uses the same home-made chipset, no reason is different here. The chipset is responsive, responds perfectly to changes in settings and rendering is generous in sensations and precision.
The multiple possibilities of personalization of the signal are effective and actually allow to adapt the device to its own vape. The real added value of TS is the ease of access to settings via the touch screen that avoids multiple clicks on the usual interface buttons to reach the desired setting. And, although not an unconditional fan of this type of operation, it is clear that here it is fully exploited and usable. Even if the objectivity obliges me to say that the big fingers will possibly be a brake to certain manipulations.
Otherwise, there are no caveats to take up. The 218 TS behaves royally during your vape sessions and is a useful and autonomous companion that will accompany you easily in your travels. Its matte look (black), its relatively modest size for a dual-battery box and its reliability in use will be major assets for everyday nomadism.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer of diameter less than or equal to 25mm
- Description of the test configuration used: Vapor Giant Mini V3, Hadali, Kayfun V5, Tsunami 24
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A RTA or RDTA rather short, in a simple aesthetic concern. Otherwise, any atomizer will be welcome.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
A Top Mod naturally sanctions a good effort of research & development to lead to this TS 218 which presents no major defect and puts the touch finally at the service of the vape. This mod seduce geeks of all sides and will hesitate others but the very existence of this proposal suggests that new technologies will be increasingly solicited for our personal vaporizers.
We are still at the level of the Antiquity of the Vape and this type of product allows us to represent the vape of the future, more and more safe, better and better controlled and adapted to his time. Just for that, TS 218 is worth a try and sets a new milestone in the history of a health revolution that has arrived through the back door but could open the way to a world finally rid of the poisonous tobacco .
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.