- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Smoant
- Price of the tested product: 67.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 218W
- Maximum voltage: 8.4V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The Chinese manufacturer Smoant will have occupied part of the conversations on the vape this year 2017 by proposing a range of boxs and atomizers quite broad and for suitable tariffs. We remember the box Battlestar and especially the Rabox who were exploring particular aesthetics that have seduced the most geeks of us.
But it is with the Charon that the brand will have struck its biggest blow by proposing a mod with a worked aesthetic but more consensual, probably more ergonomic too. A Charon that already comes in three distinct products: the TS218 has a touch screen to make all the settings with a devilishly attractive human-machine interface; the Charon Adjustable 218, operating in variable voltage in the manner of a Hexohm and our reference of the day, the TC 218, a dual-battery mod with all the technologies in vogue and posing, my faith, as a very beautiful object .
In Greek mythology, Charon was the smuggler of souls who made cross the river from Hell to the dead. I assure you, nothing to do with our object of the day that will do the opposite because it should allow some to leave the hell of tobacco to join the land more hospitable and foggy of the vape ... And where the illustrious model took one to three oboles (an armored at the time!) To ensure the cruise, it is 67.90 € that will ask the shops to do the opposite way, which remains a price still more consistent. 😉
It remains to be seen whether the waters will be calm and the fog abundant, which we will hasten to check immediately.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 25
- Product Length or Height in mm: 91
- Product weight in grams: 285.2
- Materials composing the product: Zinc alloy, Leather
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
We therefore have in hand a box of intermediate size fairly standard in size but whose weight betrays a certain assurance and solidity perceived good. Nothing really incomprehensible since this is a box equipped with two 18650 batteries and despite the miniaturization efforts of manufacturers, there are boundless limits. No matter because the grip is very nice and stable and the Charon quickly finds its place and its marks in your palm.
Aesthetically, it is clear that Smoant has benefited from the beneficial influence of Lost Vape, especially Therion, and that is why the mixture between the majority zinc alloy and the presence of leather works admirably once again, both at home and abroad. level of strict appearance as palmar comfort. The black finish on my copy is far from the most "glitter" but it has the advantage of an elegant sobriety and the paint seems insensitive to any trace of fingers. Rectangular shape rather rounded to the edges, the box is filled with a fairly large set of vents alternately serving to cool the chipset or negotiate a degassing rule if you are not wise enough! These vents are part of the general aesthetic of the box that uses the alternation of fairly tight lines for a form factor rather "sport" and more sensual curves for optimal comfort.
The finish of the set is quite convincing, the adjustments are good, the 510 spring connection is no problem and the plate serving as a receptacle for your atomizers is beautifully made even if the lack of air intakes to this level will take away the urge to use cartomizers or other ancient atomizers taking their airflow through the connection. We can not have everything and Charon 218 TC is in the air. The inside of the box, in ABS, is well finished too. The battery cradle is equipped with spring-loaded poles that facilitate the introduction of batteries and a ribbon of tissue will promote their extraction. The colors are many but their availability in the hexagon quite dubious. If you want one of the great possibilities offered by the manufacturer, it will go through the box "research" and be patient.
The only truly round element of the box, the switch does not mismatch and brings a certain subtlety to the deck hardware. Sensitive and "clicky", it does not suffer from any defect and will fire at the slightest pressure, which is a minimum, but in an excellent comfort of use. The [+] and [-] buttons are trapezoidal and fall well under the fingers to make adjustments. The contact of the leather on the palm is quite successful and contributes greatly to the general comfort of handling.
The OLED screen is well made and indicates routine information, with a good contrast that allows, in addition to not shooting the eyes, to see the information even in direct sunlight.
The feeling of quality is therefore in the upper middle and participates in the justification of a fairly well-targeted tariff, given the power and level of service offered.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Charon series is entirely built around the house chipset, the ANT 218 Chip, which offers us a digest of all the technologies currently in fashion.
In variable power mode, one goes from 1W to 218W in increments of 0.1W on a scale of acceptable resistances that goes from 0.1Ω to 5Ω. I remain circumspect on the concrete interest of vapping 1W or being able to mount coils 5Ω but hey, do not we say "who can the more can the least"? In any case, this scale will be able to exploit all the atomizers available on the market, including old genesis with strong resistance for amateurs.
The temperature control mode is complete and works between 100 and 300 ° C and on a scale of resistances between 0.1Ω and 2Ω, which is rather "luxury". It includes, beyond the traditional resistive son implemented in native (SS316, Ni200 and Ti), a direct implementation of Nichrome that will please a lot of vapers lovers of this very responsive thread and a TCR mode that will allow you to implement all the resistive wires whose heating coefficient you know, such as Silver, NiFe or even Gold!
Both modes are complemented by two additional modules. The first, the DVW will allow you to "tune" your power curve to adjust the signal as close to your desires. The second, the DTC will fill the same office for the temperature control. Alas, these two modules will only be available after a firmware upgrade that is not yet on the manufacturer website that will announce it for us very soon. To check so in time.
The rest is pretty conventional. The ergonomics are pretty good because a triple click on the switch will take you to the menu prompt, quickly and without fuss. The famous five clicks for the On / Off positions is part of it, we do not change a system that works very well just for the sake of change.
The protection system is complete and effective: detection of the atomizer, short circuit, resistance too low, blocking of the device when the set of two batteries sends less than 6.6V, verification of the operating temperature chipset and cut-off ten seconds. Nothing but classic but always appreciable to avoid problems.
In the balance sheet, we have a set of features well-honed and effective, easy to implement. The only downside will concern the current absence of two signal refinement modules that the next upgrade should make efficient.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is up to the situation. It offers us, besides the box, a standard USB / Micro USB cable to ensure the firmware upgrade and charging of the batteries in nomadic mode (we can never stress enough the daily recharge with the help of a real charger to give long life to your accusers!), the usual paperwork and a Sino-English notice that does not know the language of Hugo, to the chagrin of allergic to foreign languages that all French are more or less. Too bad but still too usual to stop there for good.
We console ourselves with a pretty nice cardboard and protection of internal elements well assured.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
All the features of a chipset are only promises in the wind if the mod does not work optimally. And Smoant understood it well. Its chipset thus works very well in use and succeeds in giving an excellent compromise between signal precision and consistency of the vape.
The rendering is very powerful, whatever the atomizer concerned and the power is triggered quickly, with a relatively low latency. The aromatic precision is present and, even if there are even more surgical (and especially more expensive!) Chipsets, it is completed with great generosity in the compactness of taste and the generation of steam. Even if we agree that the atomizers take their part, sometimes we find ourselves with precise but very "dry" signals or signals that are generous but rather "foggy". Here, none of this, the chipset is calibrated very well and makes a vape accurate and generous all at once. The compromise is well found and balanced.
Pure performance is what is expected in this category of equipment. The Charon will be able to drive a classic RBA in 0.5Ω to 40W as a double-coil cloud-chaser dripper to 100W without reporting a drop in speed. The balance sheet is positive and the Charon imposes its sense of balance and equity with clouds full and tasty.
In temperature control mode, everything goes well even if the current absence of the DTC signal refining module is probably more problematic. Personally, I have not had any strange reactions in this mode using SS316 and the control is efficient and intervenes when it should. But some echoes of users tend to point a few problems in this mode and are waiting for a firm upgrade promised for this summer to better manage their settings.
Otherwise, no erratic behavior has tainted my long days of use and the Charon behaves to perfection, with a stable and generous signal, enough power to open the door to your wildest delirium and simple ergonomics to apprehend.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The one that suits you
- Description of the test configuration used: The Flave, Vapor Giant mini V3, Kayfun V5
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: All in general and none in particular
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Dual battery, VW and CT mode, 67.90 €. These three facts suffice to suggest that the Charon is an excellent case that adds a beautiful plastic to an operation above all suspicion. From the seed of Top Mod, which I grant him without flinching, even if I will make a return in case of absence of the expected upgrade.
In the state, so we have a very good box, solid, pleasant to use and having an optimal rendering. I add that autonomy, at medium power, is rather at the top of the table and allows to leave home without asking logistical questions, which is also what we can expect from a box of this category .
A good surprise finally, which I can not wait to test the Siamese sisters to tell you more about it.
By then, good vape to all!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.