- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Smoant
- Price of the tested product: 49.90 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80W
- Maximum voltage: 8.4V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1Ω in VW and 0.05Ω in TC
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The Battlestar mini 80W is one of the products offered by Smoant, which is becoming increasingly popular on the market with regular news.
This box is to be classified in the category of simple mini batteries. Yet despite its small size, it delivers us a power of 80W. It also offers temperature control, by-pass mode, the TCR which requires adjusting the temperature coefficient of the resistive used and we also have the DVW to adjust your vape to the best of your habits.
However, it will be mandatory to insert a battery that requires a high discharge current, greater than or equal to 25 A for proper operation.
The appearance is quite common in the very rectangular shape, but the look does not leave indifferent with this flashy yellow color as well as the reliefs on the coating and the hood in black, subjecting to our mind a parallel with sports cars.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 37 x25
- Product Length or Height in mm: 80
- Product weight in grams: 112 without battery and 156 with battery
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
For this Battlestar Mini, the body is aluminum, which makes it rather light with its small size, I must say that it is a pleasure to have it in hand. In addition, the yellow paint, which covers the body of the box, makes it insensitive to fingerprints.
The silkscreens are simple and sober under the mod, while the back cover is magnetized to allow the insertion of the accumulator. Particularly effective and well aligned magnets that adhere properly to the body.
Several holes for ventilation to cool the battery and the chipset. In case of heating, they are well adapted to the look and their position is relevant.
The screen is really clear and well organized in this information with a judicious distribution. As for the switch and interface button, they are perfect, very responsive and in total agreement with the aesthetics of this Mini. The adjustment knob is long enough to allow left or right support to ensure the [+] or [-].
The pin is spring loaded and fits very well with all atomizers.
In the end, a quality more than correct that comes in a range of advantageous prices.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short-circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, fixed overheat protection of atomizer resistors, variable overheat protection of atomizer resistors, temperature control of atomizer resistors , Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 24
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Battlestar offers three types of modes:
The variable power mode that provides maximum 80W with a value adjustment according to the usual standards. DVW allows you to modulate your vape power over a set time during your setup. In this mode, the supported resistor is between 0.1Ω and 5Ω.
By-pass mode offers a more direct vape that, in a way, inhibits the chipset and provides a vape identical to a mechanical mod.
Then, there is also the temperature control mode, it accepts three types of resistive: nickel, stainless steel or titanium. The vape is done on a temperature between 100 ° C and 300 ° C (or 200 ° F and 600 ° F) to avoid burning the capillary. The resistance may be greater than 0.05Ω up to 2Ω. It is quite possible to vape with other resistives in temperature control, but beware, not just any, there is gold, silver or NiFe for example. In this case, it will be important to know the temperature coefficient of the metal to record it in the TCR.
The switch lock is not offered. However, a long press longer than ten seconds turns off the Battle mini.
On the other hand, it is possible to lock the adjustment knob to block the chosen power or temperature and thus avoid an unwanted disturbance.
All the usual security features are present and the error messages are very clear in case of malfunction.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is honorable for its category.
We have a black and yellow rigid cardboard box in which is inserted a foam to protect the box. There is a USB cable in a second box, a card for the warranty, another for authenticity and a last to advise the consumer on the condition of the used batteries. Finally, a notice in English and Chinese only makes figuration for the practitioners of the language of Molière.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, this box is a small wonder, it fits perfectly in the hand and the given values seem quite accurate.
Like most box models, to turn on or off, you need five short presses on the switch.
Locking the setting requires a long press on the right and left simultaneously.
To enter the menus, three short presses on the switch to choose the vape mode by scrolling through the following proposals: VW, DVW, ByPass, Ni, Ti, SS, TCR.
In the DVW mode, it will be necessary to adjust the time of each support and the power which you need. To do this, press the [+] and the switch until the access to the changes flashes. A long press on the switch allows you to close your setting.
In short, nothing really complicated for the menu and the manipulations related to this Battlestar.
In terms of ergonomics, it's a marvel. Small, compact, it goes everywhere and gets in every pocket. Although it is practical, its autonomy remains however too limited for those who wish to vaper more than 50W, it will be necessary to envisage a spare battery. Otherwise, reloading is also possible thanks to the micro USB port positioned under the adjustment knob.
We get caught up in the game of adoption with this mini, which initially did not really pack me, but its weight, its shape and ease of use conquered me, even the color ended up me please. However, I stay on a model that does not seem too feminine and it's a shame (note: for women ...).
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? With the Battlestar sub-ohm Tank
- Description of the test configuration used: that of the recommended model
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: There is none in particular but prefer an ato of diameter less than 24mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Battlestar Mini 80W is an aesthetic product, but beyond its appearance it is mostly a very well designed device that offers very useful features.
We can not please everyone, the yellow firecracker is a brake or an asset but no matter, we get used to it quickly when we have it in hand, because its weight and shape are well suited for transport. Its ease of use is a pleasure, as for its vape, Smoant is strong. Very strong because the box provides its 80W with a battery adapted and provides a fairness of vape that big jigs could envy. The TC remains a standard and the possibilities with the DVW and the TCR bring a big plus.
I can not find fault with it except that this box is simple with a basic format and it is yellow to scream a chick of fear! A switch lock would have been necessary in my opinion, especially in a purse. The vape is not exclusively male.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.