- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 44.90 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 85W
- Maximum voltage: 8.5V
- Minimum value in ohms of resistance for a start: 0.1Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Punk, the flagship family of Teslacigs welcomes a newcomer: The Mod Punk 86W.
This new kid is the first in the range to adopt a tubular format.
An old-fashioned mod of 28 mm in diameter, driven by a simple 18650 battery with which it proposes to reach the 86W.
Ce Punk 86W presents well, its description suggests a simple product with only a Bypass mode and a variable power mode.
In short, this Mod seems to be an invitation to the pleasures of yesteryear with its neo-punk look and basic electronics.
The price is the height of the reputation of the brand on this point, very competitive.
And here we go for this test that I like already nothing on the form.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28
- Product Length or Height in mm: 104
- Product weight in grams: 155
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Tube
- Decorative Style: Steam Punk Universe
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top-cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
To continue the line of "punks", Teslacigs So has chosen a little against the trend of fashion in recent years, a tubular shape.
The fans of this series will undoubtedly be delighted to find this style steam punk which is characterized by the presence of many wheels embossed in relief all along the tube.
A few "cables" of the top-cap, planted in the middle of one of its wheels, there is the round metal switch that matches the curvature of the tube.
In contrast, there are two +/- adjustment buttons that overlook the small OLED screen.
The bottom cap is pierced with three holes, it unscrews to give access to the housing of the battery 18650 which, given the diameter, would have suggested a location for a battery 21700 but once opened, we realize the place occupied by electronics.
The tube sees its diameter gradually decrease to reach the 25 mm at the top-cap which receives a connection 510, mounted spring.
The realization is generally good especially considering the price. The engravings are quite precise, the threads are of good quality, the switch is well adjusted and the adjustment buttons appear reactive.
A rather attractive product especially if you are sensitive to this style and if you're tired of the box format then there is the height.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short-circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of current vape voltage, current vape power display, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The functions offered by this Mod are consistent with the style of this latest creation. This form and theme invite us to take a step back, at a time when electronic Mods did not yet offer the temperature control or TCR function.
Le Punk 86 W offers only two modes of operation: variable power and Bypass.
They are compatible with resistors whose value must be between 0.1 and 3 Ω with an amperage limit set at 30 A.
The usual protections (reverse polarity, short circuits, etc ...) are all there, no risk in sight.
The screen is small but all important information is displayed: battery level, wattage, resistance value and voltage. Finally, you will be able to recharge your battery via the micro-USB port, although of course, recharging by external charger is preferable.
In short a simple product but complete in its simplicity.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Teslacigs packed his new Mod in a box that breathes sobriety. So we have a white cardboard box wrapped in a thin cardboard sleeve. On the main face, a very refined black graphic representation stands in a beige color box. On the white background that surrounds this area we find the name of the Box and a series of pictograms that presents the main features of the Mod. On the white slices, the brand Teslacigs is written in black, one distinguishes in filigree the forms of wheels characteristic of the series. On the back, as always the contents of the box, some specificities, authentication elements and normative logos.
Once the sheath removed, we are left with a completely white box whose monochrome is interrupted only by a cartridge that contains the name of the product.
In the box Mod, a USB cable and a record translated into several languages including French.
It is very decent and frankly, you can not ask for more considering the very reasonable price of the product.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Our tubular Mod has good ergonomics, the grip is good and the switch falls naturally under the index. The size is reasonable, even if the Punk is a bit long, the weight is very reasonable.
The start and stop are done by the traditional 5 clicks on the fire button, then just press 3 times to switch from one mode to another. In power mode, the setting is done with the two small buttons +/- and the last command which is the locking of the adjustment is done by pressing these two same buttons simultaneously.
The sensations are good that is variable power or Bypass, the chipset is doing the job. On the other hand, it is only a simple 18650 so the maximum power of 86W will only be reached under certain conditions of resistance values in view of the amperage limit. Also, if you want to have a proper autonomy I advise you to vape more than 40 W and even there, the autonomy will be limited. For me, the scale of power ideal for a good autonomy is between 10 and 25 W, beyond, personally I pass on double 18650.
The change of battery poses no particular problem if it is the risk of dropping the bottom cap and necessarily the possibility of losing (especially if your name is François Pignon).
Recharging via the USB port is good and can indeed help you out.
A Mod rather nice in its use but does not seem fully armed for the high powers it displays.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? An atomizer of your choice up to 25 mm without exceeding
- Description of the test configuration used: ares 1.2Ω, govad 0.5 Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: an RDTA over a power range between 7 and 40W
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
If you follow me, you may know that I am not very sensitive to style Punkat least not when the latter comes from the mass industrial world, which in itself is a bit inept.
I am not the best judge to appreciate the aesthetics of this newcomer. I admit, however, that the tubular format chosen by Teslacigs helped me to open up more to this style.
The tube is rather massive with these 28 mm but at the same time this diameter provides good ergonomics.
The graphic elements that adorn the Mod are rather precise, this decoration in relief does not make the grip in hands unpleasant, on the contrary it offers a good grip.
In the end, I ended up loving this new Mod but what has contributed the most is its simplicity. A variable power mode and a Bypass, "what's else", for me these two modes are enough, it makes this Mod technically very affordable, even for a novice. The controls are simple and the feelings of vape are very correct.
Autonomy is good if you stay on a reasonable power, otherwise you will need several batteries to hold the day, you can also troubleshoot by charging the battery through the micro-USB port.
Finally, I like this new kid because it awakens in me the nostalgia of my debut and in this distant era all mods worthy of the name were tubular.
A nice and affordable product on both the financial aspect and the technical aspect so if the style is to your taste, go for it.
He gets, of course, a Top Mod.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.